ECHO by Trussben - FINISHED - 1:48 - cross-section

Well I just picked up a nice piece of model grade ply - 12 x 12 x 1/2" for my building board, now I need to make the square for raising the frames and get the keel drilled, tapped and mounted to the board - maybe in a few weeks I will be able to show some progress.

ben

Sorry Sjors, too busy on the Confederacy.

What Ben! You can lend a hand. I don't remember there being any ratlines on the Confederacy! :P

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Now Now Rusty, Dont set him off!! :D  Remember Im doing 3 builds the same as you! Sjors - I think Rusty would have more experience than I on tying ratlines anyway - send the Mirage to him for a few weeks, he can try 4 builds at once. :P

ben

Well this is a happy day!

I was just informed by my boss that we will be receiving a bonus cheque this year!! :-))

I asked the admiral of the house and she said I can spend it how I wish!! I told her that Byrnes model machines was gonna take the lot to upgrade my workshop with some fine tools to help start my darkside career, she smiled sideways and said " whatever you need ".

Ahhh! Love works in soooo many ways!

Ben

Wow! Congratulations Ben - both on the bonus and on the Admiral. She either REALLY loves you, or sees this as a way to keep you out of her hair for longer ......

I'm leavin' you to work out which....... ;)

But either way, HAPPY DAYS ahead! :D

Ben,

Does your boss need some new employers???????

Great news and what are you gonna buy?

At the end of the month I'm also buying a few tools….from Proxxon!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Grant - Yeh, I'm not sure which it is either but then ignorance can sometimes be bliss. ;)

Sjors - First purchase will be the Jim Byrnes table saw with a few add-ons, we will see how much if any money is left after that.

ben

Congrates on all fronts Ben. I just got the Byrnes disk sander and it is amazing. Jim & Donna put their hearts and souls into their machines. You'll love it.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Ahoy Ben :D

Been lurking here to long to not to say hello and compliment you on this build

Congratz on the bonus check too. I am sure it was well deserved. Enjoy the toys :)

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Ben,

Regardless of how much your bonus actually is, rest easy knowing that postage is not going to cost you an extra 50% as it does for those of us buying for the other side of the world! Though I have to say, that even with the postage costs, they are still well worth the money and you will be delighted with whatever you get.

I can't wait to hear what you end up with! ;)

Edited by gjdale

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben good to see starting your cross section....!

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well if you don't know from my Confed build, I am now the proud owner of a bundle of Byrnes tools, I have the JimSaw, disc and thickness sanders to join my dewalt scroll saw.

I have been practicing and getting used to using them for the last few weeks and boy am I impressed.

Anyway this weekend I will be taking a break from painting and building the Confeds cannons and I am going to make another keel using the power tools and see which I think is better.

I will post pics of them both together when done.

Ben

Well I made another keel using the power tools, I dont think its much better than my hand tools one but it sure was faster, 3 hours instead of 10. :D

I taped the build board plan to my 12 x 12 plywood, drilled it and mounted the keel.

Now I have started cutting floors and futtocks out.

One question - for the 8 1/4 sided futtocks, which stock do I use, 8 or 8 1/2? There is only one billet of 8 1/2 and two billets of 8 inch so if I do use the 8 1/2 and thickness it down, I think I will run out of stock.

Dead flat and Dead flat 1 are cut out and glue is drying, i left a 1/32 line around the frames as I cut them out as " meat " for fairing, hope this is enough.

now I have to start thinking of how to make the chocks, I know greg says he does them on his disc sander and gets really good results, any idea how exactly he does it? using the miter gauge I assume.

ben

post-234-0-99215200-1370723733_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-34418700-1370723744_thumb.jpg

post-234-0-70083400-1370723754_thumb.jpg

Sweet work, Ben.   I'm looking forward to seeing more.  

As for the chocks...  good question as I've not done them on any build.  Do you have any of the TFFM books?  I think David A. explains how to do chocks in Volume 1.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi mark, I have all the TFFM books as I plan on building a swan when I finish all my other builds.

There is no real set way described, just adjust until they fit, I guess a bit of trial and error will show the way.

Ben

Ben,

Re the chocks, I thought I remembered Greg posting something with pictures on this.  Failing all else, I suggest you PM Greg - I'm sure he'll answer in a flash, and more than likely will post something for other Echo builders.

Ben, sorry about the delay in answering. I just returned from a cruise on the largest cruise ship in the world, Oasis of the Seas.

If you have the Byrnes disc sander, doing the chocks is easy. First, I trace place the glued up futtocks carefully over the blank and trace the shape. Next I cut very closely to the outside lines with my scroll saw. Finally, the edges are dressed to final shape by lightly feeding them against the Byrnes disk sander. I use a small sacrificial ply scrap underneath the chock and push it against the sanding disk with my finger. Keep offering it up to the frames and refine until it's a press fit. Make sure the chock is as thick as the lower futtock, as they are stepped!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the help, I have started making the chocks and I find the easiest way is to have a bit of a tab to hold onto while I sand the angles and sides, it wastes a little bit of wood that I cut away after the chock is glued in place but it seems to be working really well for me now, I completed the dead flat today and the joints are almost invisible.

Now I have to find some bamboo skewers to make treenails with!

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Your right Druxey,

I kept trying to use tiny scrap parts of wood and just could not accurately get good joints, as soon as I used a bit bigger piece it was soooo much easier to manipulate it and feed it to the disc sander and achieve the correct angles.

Steep leaning curve to this scratch building but I am enjoying it greatly, after I finished the dead flat frame I ran excitedly to show the admiral and she was even impressed!

Ben