US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Hi Dave,

I'll take a stab at answering - oar ports!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

2 hours ago, lambsbk said:

Nice build Rich. The veneer will have a solid base.

Just curious - what are the small openings between the gun ports?

Dave

They are sweep ports (long oars)

The last side plank is installed. It was no bigger than a long toothpick. Now I'll tackle the stern

last side plank 001.JPG

Beautiful planking!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Working on the stern. The plans and instructions are vague on this part with one fuzzy picture showing planks before painting.

working on the stern 001.JPG

More work on the stern. This piece will greatly strengthen the whole thing. While I was fitting the several pieces that comprise of the upper part of the stern, the ship slipped off my holding rack and the tip of the bowsprit broke off! Thank goodness it glued back with a perfect fit even though the break was jagged.

transome beginning 001.JPG

Here's my supply of veneer. I'll be using some to build the transom even though I'm a long way from putting veneer on the hull.

supply of veneer 001.JPG

Continuing to build the stern. This is rough veneer planks plus the decorative trim that will eventually be installed. You can see where I screwed up rough planking by the stern post. I'll correct all that with sanding, filler then veneer planks. First I have to finish the bottom half of the stern.

stern continued 001.JPG

stern continued 002.JPG

More stern planks. I think I'm pretty close to hiding all my mistakes when I veneer plank the hull. If I were coppering it the same would apply.

more stern planks 003.JPG

Rich, what did you paint the metal decorative trim with to give it the wood color?

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

On 5/11/2017 at 1:43 PM, HIPEXEC said:

While I was fitting the several pieces that comprise of the upper part of the stern, the ship slipped off my holding rack and the tip of the bowsprit broke off!

Rich,  I use those green fabric Velcro plant ties you get in garden shops to hold my model to the build rack. See the tail end of my Willie Bennett build log for photos of them in use.  You could run them under the rack and thru 1 or 2 gun ports - since they're Velcro they go on and off really easy and don't impart a lot of downward pressure on the model.

2 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Rich, what did you paint the metal decorative trim with to give it the wood color?

Jesse

Jesse,

It's gold paint to give it a gilded look

I put in the hole for the rudder. I'm holding off for now installing the stern post until I finish planking

more stern planks 004.JPG

more stern planks 001.JPG

Preparing inside the gunwales. Thinning them and making them even to receive planks

preparing inside gunwales 001.JPG

I'm pre-bending the stern trim to be installed later. I'm still preparing the inner gunwales to be planked.

stern trim pre bending 001.JPG

Inside stern planks progressing. The white slash is the rudder port hole and will be stained

more stern planks inside 001.JPG

Another inside stern plank. This one partially covers gunports which I will trim when glue dries. Rudder hole has been stained

more stern planks over gunports 001.JPG

Finished rough planking the inside of the stern. Now I have to clean it up with trimming, etc

stern rough planked 001.JPG

Inner transom cleaned up a bit. Now I'm cleaning up the inside gunwals so I can plank them. They are composed of dozens of small pieces and parts, so getting them smooth is a chore. 

cleaned up transom 001.JPG

After a tremendous amount of making filler strips and blocks.... and sanding and sanding and sanding to get the gunwals narrowed and smooth....I finally glued on the first piece of inside planking. Now I have a very long road ahead of inside planking, outside veneer planking and deck planking. But this is the stuff of making the model look great when finished.

starting inside planking 001.JPG

First inside course, both sides. Wow...all that patchwork sub-structure ( as per the plans), sure is ugly. I can't wait to cover it all up. Cutting out the tiny sweep ports was tricky since they and the gunports get partially covered during planking.

first inside course both sides 001.JPG

first inside course both sides 002.JPG

first inside course both sides 003.JPG

first inside course both sides 004.JPG

Both inner gunwals rough finished all the way up. Now I have to carefully trim the whole thing to prepare for the cap rail and outside planks.

both inner gunwals finsihed all the way up 001.JPG

both inner gunwals finsihed all the way up 002.JPG

Quick work on that Rich.  Well done!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600