US Brig Syren by Hipexec - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - building as USS Argus

Plink, plunk planking away. I started the deck planking and am using the four bulkhead stagger. The deck will not be varnished, but I will stain it Golden Oak. A number two pencil is creating the caulking.

decking and ships name 002.JPG

decking and ships name 001.JPG

Nice job on the nameplate - I like the font!

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

Deck planking slowly getting there. By now you sharp eyed builders can see that I have not "nibbed" the forward planks. I believe the effort is not worth the effect.

planking along 001.JPG

I like it both ways and your deck looks great. I haven't decided yet if I am going to nib mine or do it like you. Your model your call.

I am thinking about milling some white oak for the decks and for the sides from the Wale up.

Edited by Jim Rogers

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

6 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

I like it both ways and your deck looks great. I haven't decided yet if I am going to nib mine or do it like you. Your model your call.

I am thinking about milling some white oak for the decks and for the sides from the Wale up.

White oak would be very nice for the decks. I am using the basswood provided and don't like it. Oh well?

The deck is almost there. I speeded up since after the deck is complete, the ship will start to look like the Argus  with its aft structures, etc.

almost there 001.JPG

Rich - I have some Boxwood left over from another project. it is the same dimensions as the hull planking above the wale except it is 1/2 the thickness. Can you see a problem with using in for my Syren? I think Boxwood would be a great solution on the most visible part of the hull.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

2 hours ago, fnkershner said:

Rich - I have some Boxwood left over from another project. it is the same dimensions as the hull planking above the wale except it is 1/2 the thickness. Can you see a problem with using in for my Syren? I think Boxwood would be a great solution on the most visible part of the hull.

It's all good  but it depends on how you feel working with hard or soft woods. I like them a little on the hard side except for bending. On the deck, hard is good.

I finished planking. I know you pros want nibbling. Not me. I do like when you do it, though. Now I'll sand the deck and stain it with Golden Oak.

deck planks finished 001.JPG

12 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Looks great Rich. Are you going the treenail route?

I don't know about tree nails yet

Help!

How do I sand a 1/16" x 1/16" ( 1.5mm x 1.5mm ) square strip into a triangle and make it look even?  That's how the kit says to make the waterways.

how to 001.JPG

I just sanded down my waterways by hand.  It's not like you will be able to tell if it's a perfect 45 degree angle as long as it fits properly and looks 'right' to the eye.

If you were Frank you could build a jig and put it in the mill.  :P

Actually a 'jig' of sorts for this would be pretty simple, just a board with a 'v' cut into it that you could put your strips to hold them while you sanded them down, but honestly I'd just do it by hand, and if it didn't come out to my liking, then I might look into holding it in a jig of some sort while sanding it.

The Argus has a super structure on the aft deck that the Syren doesn't have. I'm now building the foundation for this super structure that has two man sized units with doors...probably heads or flag lockers.

Argus aft super structure foundation 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Here I've "dry" fitted the seat portion of the aft structures. I'll probably make both cabinets heads or crappers (one holers)

seat ledge dry fitted 001.JPG

I decided to make both crappers (heads). I painted the underneath black so when you look in the hole you see nothing. Before I glue it all together I will smooth out the holes for comfort.

both crappers 001.JPG

both crappers 002.JPG

10 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

Rich are your stern chaser cannons still going to fit?

I don't think The Argus used stern chasers unless they had a very long barrel. This is the way they built it. It's not my idea. I have drawings

11 hours ago, Jim Rogers said:

That's nice. Wonder why they kept the gun ports.

Probably because the Argus was the fastest ship in the fleet at that time and no ship could catch her. So, they added the super structure?

I had to cutout templates to make sure every piece fits building these structures. So far, so good

continue the super structure 001.JPG

continue the super structure 002.JPG

The port and starboard walls are up. Now for the roof on each side. I've spent most of my time doing this measuring and fitting to make sure all pieces fit snugly. It's interesting creating  this without plans. A bit on the dark side.

walls up now the rooves 001.JPG

The main substructure for the stern is finished. Now I have to design doors. I have no picture of the doors, so I will have to wing it. After the doors are installed I will finish the whole structure with cabinet style battens and stained golden oak.

super structure continued 001.JPG

super structure continued 002.JPG

I rough framed the doorways. I think I got them square. Tricky. It needs a lot of cleaning up. Now I have to make the doors.

all framed out 001.JPG

Edited by HIPEXEC

Help!

Any ideas how I can make hinges that let the doors open and close without snapping after a few swings?