Jump to content

18th Century Longboat by KennyH78 - Model Shipways


Recommended Posts

Since I have finished my Triton cross section and am unsure of which kit I want to start at the moment (Model Shipways Confederacy or Lumberyard's USF Raleigh (Hahn plans)), I figured I'd at lease start to build the 18th Century Longboat kit that I have.  I've already cut the false keel from the laser cut parts sheet and cut the rabbet and then glued the stem and keel to the false keel.  Once that was dry, I went ahead and stained the assymbly with some Golden Oak stain.  Once that is dry, it will be time to glue on the bulkheads.

 

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.d5504e920cb2128ea27eeb3865921c10.JPGIMG_0958.thumb.JPG.6bd305cc7f9f07afa531603ea2ffbb05.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to have you all along for the ride.  I got the bulkheads glued on.  Took my time to ensure that they are as straight and correct as they should be.  Going to let that dry up for till at least tomorrow, may even wait until Tuesday before I start the fairing process just to ensure that the wood glue has enough time to cure up.  Anyways, here are the pictures of how she currently sits.

IMG_0965.thumb.JPG.646f428774186c63ba84091706a58812.JPGIMG_0966.thumb.JPG.16127bcf829f40573e9d8f662d5e39eb.JPGIMG_0968.thumb.JPG.bd157e2365c933c7a1f6ab751ecc8c72.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I have a little progress to report.  After letting the glue dry on the bulkheads for a couple of days, I went to fair the hull.  I started sanding with 220 grit very lightly, but the basswood keel was letting the individual bulkheads move.  So in an attempt to stiffen it up, I grabbed some scrap basswood and glued them to the top of the bulkheads on the portion that will be cut away later.  I think that that will stiffen it up a lot and then I will be able to fair the hull properly.  Going to let that dry up and get to fairing the hull tomorrow.IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.a18b80f4beb231328d6005320c00820a.JPGIMG_0975.thumb.JPG.4982e7b4707ea614b292e189a1a7abe8.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have some progress to report.  I got the hull faired, but not without breaking one bulkhead.  The repair was easy though, it was a clean break and easily glued back on.  I even have trouble finding the one that broke off.  I also got the transom piece installed and the bow fillers.  Those will be faired once the glue has had ample time to cure.  Anyways, here are the pictures.  As always, any and all comments are welcome.IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.f2dca41ae21e8890a01dd21f497210b6.JPGIMG_0977.thumb.JPG.abfdde7e9f3a19df4ae14362a58db101.JPGIMG_0978.thumb.JPG.12b424df1944bf7f62e238d8179b1e4c.JPGIMG_0979.thumb.JPG.88a2d995f5b7945f84f9c18e6aa34044.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a quick update.  I am still plugging away on the hull planking.  It is very slow going because I want to make sure that the planks are fitted right.  What I have been doing is soaking the planks in water and clamping them to the hull to dry.  Once they are dry, I then start the process of gluing them in place.  I will post some pictures once the hull planking is completed.  Please bear with me as this is a slow going process for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...