The Jolly Roger by popeye the sailor - Lindberg - 1:130 - PLASTIC

ohhhhh.....you kidder ,  you! :)  thank you so much J.........really appreciate the birthday wish.   according to George Carlin,  I've gone 61 years around one.  I won't go into the rest of the skit.....kind of an ill thought :D  :D    it was a nice quiet day though.....got my Haddock plate ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking nice Denis, great job enhancing the model with your personal touches.

Looking forward to the finished product.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet :)   shouldn't be long now ;) 

noooo :D    that would be one 'plaque' with a very short shelf life! ;)   it's hard to find a place where folks can get a decent piece of fish.   we have a small family restaurant that does a nice feed........combine that piece of fish with some cole slaw and fries,  and I'm happy.    we have to go out to Hampton Beach to really get the good stuff. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Happy birthday my friend, with minor delay ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thank you Nenad :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

jeeze........it's been a while since I last posted any progress on this build.   it's been rather hard to concentrate lately....every time I get started on something,  some small calamity arises and kills the mood :(     but I've been getting a little done here and there.......I decided to assemble the Flying Dutchman along side this project.    since it's made of the glow in the dark plastic,  I'm not going to do any painting on it....maybe some of the trim.   it's the exact same model as the Jolly Rogers,  so I won't get too crazy with it....I have very few of the 1:96 scale blocks,  so I will have to rely on the rings supplied in the kit.   I have the flag on the Jolly Rogers,  so all that's left is the anchors......I'm doing the pudding and stained up some anchor rope.   I hope to have the finish on her soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

finally got the pictures in........had to feed the camera :D   anyway.....here is the flag.  :piratetongueor4:

59c406d6d1fed_1.jpg.aeb62c9d50a2e625a50735bb7f6381ed.jpg

one of the lines came loose,  so I had to fix that.......the Dutchman is in the background.   got a couple of pictures for her as well......no big hoot,  but somewhat neat to see.   I did this one as the plans suggested....ran into a few issues,  that I didn't when I did the J.R.

59c407d4eed44_1.jpg.b36e316cb185f451f9d4540f7bf1e9f3.jpg

59c407edd6ed3_2.jpg.fe9c432a9a6f1e784663a53c462d0ed7.jpg

59c407fd1d123_3.jpg.fe8c401fe08f3e38d50cb39efae30f35.jpg

59c4080928863_4.jpg.4b881630be7ca6243d2fd864c9bcad4d.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

when the hull was assembled and most of the deck stuff was added,  it sat under the crane light.  when I was done mess'in around,  I shut everything down.......you should have seen the glow.   I eliminated the cannons and shut all the gun ports...later,  I will spray the hull with flat clear lacquer,  to get rid of the glue marks and give the hull a flat look.

59c408f6a078b_1.jpg.ddbb846a51c610901f4522f15ccfcd8a.jpg

59c40905456aa_2.jpg.fff563da6a0aa0f41d1b7062e380c4de.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

a few other small bits were eliminated also...when this ship glows,  it will never be noticed.   as for the cannons........well......I have an idea,  but it means that I will need to clone a Thermopylae hull.   should prove to be very interesting ;) 

59c409e3483c6_1.jpg.2e7c992ebf860891a225b5394da25c5f.jpg

I think I know now....what is to be done with the ratlines/shrouds.  to do what is instructed,  the slots need to be made wider,  so the shrouds can be fitted just below the dead eye lanyards.  the rest of what sticks out below,  are to be the dead eye chains,  fastened to the hull.

59c40aa758b29_2.jpg.d76b831f943eb90d45043c59398536dd.jpg

59c40abe0acbd_4.jpg.ad7e25ba6378711357b634e469d41a0a.jpg59c40af2d9f77_5.jpg.6bbe05dd0410990dab990921693ad2c1.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

now she is masted and the shrouds are added.   I still need to attach all the chains to the hull.   I drilled out the holes for the back stays and have added the rings for the rigging.  still thinking of adding a few more elsewhere.

59c40b6977278_1.jpg.c1bb59d0180f3b3cf13c98c464490d99.jpg

59c40c3a86ca4_2.jpg.565f621cb4d169df87c7154364fd0f1a.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis...nice job on your Jolly Roger, the glowy one should be cool when done, you have to shot some night shots for us!

Interesting, a glow in the dark model. Who would have ever thunk that ;) You gonna leave it that way or eventually paint her?

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks all for the comments........I was sure most would think me daft or something :unsure:    I don't plan on painting the Dutchman......I do plan on showing her finished and with a full moon glow.   I think once it's complete and dosed with light,  it will look much better.  I will save it for the last couple of pictures.   I'm working on the anchors for the J.R. ....now I need to cut out the sails for the Dutchman and sew them on the yards.   I need to make another spanker sail,  since I messed up the one for the J.R.  I'm not at a loss though,  cuz I still have quite a selection of the Cutty sails....I'm sure one will make a dandy spanker.

Piet......with the early glow models,  they had to be painted with a glow solution to get the effect.   I recall having to do that with one I built in my younger days.  once they figures out how to add color to the plastic,  they changed over.   I would hate like the dickens to do these ratlines Tom :) 

thanks for the likes! :) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the other night,  I stopped and went to shut down....figured to get some TV time in.   the hull was glowing pretty good,  so I snapped a picture of it.   it will look better when I get the yards and sails on her,

ghost.jpg.0beba62865217382b460c0d128a726da.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis,

You never cease to amaze me, where the devil do you come up with these ideas, I would hate to be your brain, I wouldn't have a clue as to what direction I was going to go next.   :default_wallbash: :dancetl6:

I do like what I'm seeing mate, just a bit lost for words !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your like a breath of fresh air my friend, don't ever change.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi, only just catching up on this topic. I have built the same kit, well almost, from a Revell package. Definitely the same kit, marketed as the Flying Dutch Man but not 'glow in the dark'. Your build has encouraged me to finish as I have left it without masts.

I read your discussion on kit origin, the other Pirate ship shown looks either to be the old Pyro 'French man of War' or the Saint Louis. Most of the kits in this vein are copies and pop up between Lindberg, Revell and Heller. I have kits of them all using each others moulds as well as the odd use by them of Pyro and Airfix moulds.

For sails I have used the plastic on the larger scales but worth trying thin paper for some. I sawed the bolt ropes, etc, on whilst soaked through and applied to yards then re-soaked when rigged. By drying with a hair dryer and coating with a dope they look like they are wind blown. Clewed up sails look good as can do correctly whilst wet. It is worth a go.

Love the build.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

thanks Mobbsie......it's not the best picture.   when it's done,  I'll try  and get the best picture.   perhaps I'll even use the big crane lights.  not to worry,  I can never change.

thanks thunder....I think this kit / series is a lindberg offering.   the other day,  I saw one of the older kits,  that requires to be painted with a glow juice solution.  I don't think Heller or Revell are in this group.....they are still going strong in today's market.   older now defunct companies are where the bulk of the molds came from......but that's not to say that Revell hasn't sold off a mold in it's day  ;)   kits do change through the use of different plastics......the glow in the dark process isn't that new......Revell and Aurora used the process in their figure models.   the witch,  the creature from the black lagoon, early star trek {yea..I've even built some of these}.   now you have new companies coming out.....picking up what's left over and bringing back the older models {which I'm glad to see}.   the other one I have uses the Henry Morgan.....I though it was a whaling vessel.   the model can actually be modeled after the Wappen Von Hamberg,  and other similar vessels....this one I'm Definitely going to paint.   welcome to the fray  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 years later...