USS Melvin by gluedandscrewed - RADIO

every time i get on here and see some of the work being done by you guys I feel embarrassed to even bring up anything I do,,,but to kill time I stated a 6 foot blue devil project thats being scaled up from a lindberg kit, done the way cavemen must have done it by candle light and with stone tools,, no plans, no CAD drawings, no 3D printers nothing more fancy in the way of tools than a 20 yr old scroll saw and a 60 yr old drill press,,, we'll see how it goes!!!!

hello glued

Should be fairly simple................. Grab a log and cut away anything that doesn't look like the Blue Devil, throw it in the water and watch it capsize! (See your other posting in "a glutton for punishment") :o;)

Hope that helps

Lou

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

But they will be SCALE sharks, so they shouldn't be able to take very big bites! Watch out though if you get enough of them they may nibble you to death! :(

Me again

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 9/12/2017 at 4:47 AM, gluedandscrewed said:

does any one know of a course of treatment for the compulsive redoititis syndrome? the incessant urge to go back and redo the stuff already done

No such animal to my knowledge.  It goes with the hobby as i've redone some bits, including whole hulls. It's painful but the redos usually bring about immense satisfaction.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

WOW!  nice start on the super structures and the guns!   they look great  ;)    you made some mention of using your undies for blast bags..........saw this and I HAD to take a look  :D   like the way you made the recoiling parts  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

let the sake swilling, chrysanthemum sniffing bonsai sons of the rising sun come, i'll be ready!!!! aaaah,,just as soon as i gets me a ship that is;)

P.S.  have plenty of the blast boot material left if anybody needs some,,unfortunately the wife washed out the powder burns so somebody would have to simulate their own:D

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

2 hours ago, gluedandscrewed said:

was feeling pretty good, the guns turned out decently i thought, than made the mistake of looking at some of the other builds going on, now i feel i should do the honorable thing and disembowel myself on the kitchen floor:(

A bit drastic. I thought it was a pretty creditable attempt.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

I dunno......I'm a yankee,  and I knew what it meant.  then again,  I've been here since 2009  :D  :D    I think you did an excellent job.....they look even better painted! :)  nicely detailed too. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

so the wife walks into the workshop this morning, aka the laundry room, and says " why dont you just put together the plastic parts like you did the other two?"..  if there is a lawyer in the crowd do i have grounds for a quick divorce???

Edited by gluedandscrewed

oh dear........sounds like someone hasn't had "the talk" yet ;)    chat about the difference between scratch and kit over a glass of wine.   don't word it the way I did though........if you do,  she'll expect you to make all your parts and you won't be able to buy any  :D:D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

i couldnt believe it, two four foot  scratch built models and she thought they were plastic kits, i think i could get away with  temporary insanity  and cop a  plea  to manslaughter!!!! anyhoo, sent her shopping so i had a couple of hours to work on the devil, got the chimneys mostly done, the head lights are in, guess the stop lights and turn signals go on the back one, steel plate for the deck and hull framing  supposed to be here today so will start on that,, figure couple more excursions to the mall by the wife should have the devil afloat:D

P.S. anybody know what that redneck hot tub looking thing on the side of the stack is??

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

the structures look awesome!   can't wait to see them on the deck together  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Glued ,

pretty good work, nice details, and wonderful use of materials....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the "Redneck hot tub things" are floater net baskets. They could be thrown overboard I think but were intended to float to the surface if the ship went down quickly. (The nets not the baskets). On your Blue Devil it looks like your net baskets are empty. Not a good idea considering on how the Blue Devil model likes to turn upside down so much! :( :D

Lou

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

a gold medal for you imagna,,think you are absolutely correct, the plastic model shows what looks like rope with floats , i didnt reproduce yet cause i didnt have any idea what they might be, there is a total of four of these "redneck hot tubs", the ropes and floats should add a nice little detail,, thanks for educating me ,,

P.S. thanks for the capsizing heads up,,will keep the ballast tanks full:)

1 hour ago, gluedandscrewed said:

P.S. the fish got in by mistake, havent figured out how to delete yet

They are stalking the hull waiting for it to capsize!:( 

Hopefully not in your case. :D

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey