Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

What to say, Matti ?  Your craftmanship is unbelievable. These carvings centairly takes a lot of time, but I´m sure the result will be more than perfect. Keep the pictures coming.

Still watching  :)

Jan

Finished:       Ark Royal 1588

Mary Rose 1545

Arabian Dhow

Revenge 1577 ( first attempt )

La Couronne 1636

Trinidad 1519

Revenge 1577 ( the second one )

Nina 1492

Pinta 1492

Santa Maria 1492

San Salvador 1543

Anna Maria 1694

Sao Gabriel 1497

On the table: Sovereign of the Seas 1636 - continuing after 12 years

All of them are paper models

Hey all! Painted and mounted the Gideon soldiers and the bigger tritons on the galleries. As before I sanded them thin and reshaped them. I ended up with two soldiers more than I needed so I could add them to the stern row, Im happy I could do that as it ties the back and sides together and looks more like the real ship.

Getting closer to finish the galleries. Ive counted how many figures Ive painted and stoped at 150. Im enjoyng it (once the towers were done) but now Im looking forward to start with the bow.

/Matti

post-3739-0-71075200-1382169173_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-80807700-1382169225_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-13824500-1382169230_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Wonderful!

DAniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hello Matti

I guess I have lurked long enough and it is time to step out of the shadows and make a comment.

First I must say, I have always loved the Wasa's lines. I never realy liked the red though. Maybe its from seeing her in the blue so many times, but I have to say your colour blending and choice on the shade of red has converted me.

The muted tones and colour blending of your work shows that you have lots of experience in mastering your abilities. Your mastery has created such a realistic portrayal of her, Great job! She's one beautiful build and your photography only helps to bring out the details of the colours and shading. I love the outdoor photos as they really show her true colours and beautiful detailing work.

Edited by themadchemist

Cheers for all the kind comment everybody! Like I said before your builds are a big inspiration for me and helps for inspiration and how to do things.

Keith, Im glad you like it. I love the red Wasa with polychrome sculptures, but imo its easy to get the red and yellow to feel disharmonic, I had to redo the red a couple of times. I try to get a muted natural look when mixing colors, like blood red and bone yellow and sky blue.   

Mark, thats a lot of figures. I forgot that I will add the small sculptures on the gallery sides/windows when I guessed how many I need to paint.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

That's what converted me, was the organic feel of your red. To me I envision autumn leaves.

Your red tones down the polychromic carvings. Although the scultures have also been given a softened feeling which makes it really work. As you state, Harmonically. The resonance of the spectrum flows together, rather then create clashing boarders. Blurring the lines, without destroying them. Just as the great impressionist artists did in their works.

Understand, I use to hate the red. It just looked wrong to my eyes. Now, with your impressions, I not only like it, but prefer it to the blue. You seem to have fixed what didn't work in my eyes. Now I see reality where before it was cartoon-esk.

Its the equivalent of shouds with out of scale ratlines, in my opinion. The Details are what make a good build great. Personally I feel the best tip any new builder can get is -

Slow down and feel your work, allow yourself to learn the slow processes and always let patience guide your decisions. Passion should always be your drive.

Of course we all bring different tool kits to this hobby, your prior paint detailing really shows through. I love seeing an artisan that has paid the price of time, when they are creating.

... I love seeing an artisan that has paid the price of time, when they are creating.

Well said Keith! Your work is amazing to watch as it unfolds Matti. I think we are all richer from watching your process and artistry. Thanks for sharing!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Nice Matti, always looking great.

R/

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Cheers guys, Im glad for your interest!

After redoing the window area for the towers and reshaping the tritons, I painted the tall sculptures.They are sanded thin to be in scale.

I also painted the smaller ones that sits between the tall ones, but shape and sizewise they didnt look right on her so I will not use them.

I mounted the tall figures on the top tower also (its not the way BB made it, but its not to far off compaired to the original this way). It also lets me change the way the tower windows looked earlier. I prefer this look much more.

This means Im about 20 figures from being finished with the galleries.

/Matti

post-3739-0-28122500-1382884357_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-24926300-1382884363_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-95292600-1382884369_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

looking realy good, Fantastic detail work

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Just gets better and better!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Matti,

That last picture of the stern against the sky, I loved it!

With the tree down in the background I almost got a feeling it was the real thing.

Nice progress!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry