Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Small update. Vasas sculptures where not all emperors and glory, two of them were jokes aiming to make fun of Gustav Adolfs main enemy King Sigismund of Poland. Below the two catheads polish noblemen croushes under tables. These were best seen from sitting on the heads, so it's made for the crewmens amusement.

The BB don't have plastic sculptures for this, actually their solition is to use pieces of wood instead. I decided to dare the gods of shipmodelmaking and carved simplified versions of them instead. ;)

The original shape is pretty strange and from the outside you can barely see what it is supposed to be, without color anyway. I did end up with some problems here as there are many angles meeting up there and anyone doing the BB kit should try and plan for this stage early. When it comes to sculptures, these are the toughest to fit on the model in my opinion. 

Here are reference pictures of the polish noblemen, as you see the shape is quite special:

post-3739-0-68676100-1390818341_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-77890000-1390818346_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-18034100-1390818354_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-22781400-1390818361_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-36548200-1390818844_thumb.jpg

And here are mine:

post-3739-0-86121700-1390818462_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-46170700-1390818467_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-42269100-1390818468.jpg

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Cheers fellas!

Tony, I did notice printed gentlemen on plywood squares in the old spareparts I got my hands on earlier. There are no print on the ones in my kit. Since the kit has nice figures otherwise I think its a good idea to make your own versions of these guys.

Ah, I see Steve. Like below the heads? lol.  

Cheers Nigel, I think the odd details like these sculptures or the blue purple thingie are the most interesting ones.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Those cathead braces that you made are awesome. Nice work. Also the historical context is interesting. I may have to pull mine out now and do a better job (:-)  Great labor intensive update.!!

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Matti,

You've done yourself proud mate, those carvings are excellent. This really is one fine build. :dancetl6:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hey Nigel, I started to plan for the cannons. First I need to decide what setup I want, if I want them out and ready to fire or not. Either way I need cannons for the deck and like you the originals are really plain and the shape is not correct. The ones you suggested are much better. Here are the real Vasa cannons, and one pic of the newmade replica:

post-3739-0-47408600-1390918110_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-14323000-1390918163.jpg

post-3739-0-78681300-1390918196_thumb.jpg

I'll try and get the right measurement. I'm not sure the ones in the kit have the right lenght.

/Matti

Hi Matti

Out of necessity,i am replacing all the cannons on my Sovereign build.I am using Amati decorative cannons.These can be obtained either with or without a machined walnut carriage assembly.They come in various lengths but the lengths listed are actually different from the true length.I bought a sample of each size to determine what I required.I didn't want plain cannons as that wasn't was fitted on the original,and I feel Wasa is the same.I include a picture so you get an idea (I thought there was one on my build log,but after checking,there isn't).If you like the look of them,I will give you the part numbers and exact lengths.

Kind Regards Nigel

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Mate,yes I have seen the pics on the museums site.The only model cannon maker that would produce anything exactly the same is Alex Banarov.His artillery is amazing,however looking at his site he hasn't developed any cannons for Wasa :(  :( .I think much depends on how much time you want to devote to them.You could spend time producing one master for each size and cast them in resin.The easiest way of doing this would be to start with a basic aftermarket cannon and then add the decorative parts yourself.The problem I can foresee having seen Clayton's work is that many of the cannons have unusual proportions in that they are very long for their diameter.The cannons on Sovereign were the other way round all be Drakes,short and fat.So I decided to compromise which was the Amati product.If you want some info on the Amati cannons,just ask mate.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Cheers mate! Yeah I'm very interested in the Amati ones. The biggest ones in the kit is 32 mm and it looks about right when looking at reference. Problem is she had many different versions of cannons. How tall are the ones in the picture you posted earlier? And do they look about right from the front, looking at the barrel?

post-3739-0-32568200-1390922633.jpg

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,unfortunately I can't lay my hands on the shortest one.I only ordered one of these as was unsure how many I required.

However

The RHS one pt no.4159/50 is listed as 50mm long but is in fact 44mm.The muzzle has an OD of 6mm with a 3.5mm bore

The middle one pt no.4159/40 is listed as 40mm long but is in fact 35mm.The muzzle is 3.5mm OD with a bore of 2.5mm.

The smallest one is 4159/30 listed as 30mm but from what I can remember was in fact 27mm long.

All the pt no's above include full walnut carriages but they are available seperately.

They also do one 20mm long but I should imagine this is possibly a little short for your requirements.

Take into account the kit cannons are for the upper deck,the cannons get larger as you work your way down

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Ah, sorry, I ment the largest cannon on the upper deck. The ones for the gunports are slightly wider in diameter, but they are just short ones ment to fit the fake gunports.

I've started the tricky part to map the differeny cannons used on Vasa. The ones on upper deck is a mixed bag of what they could find as they didn't manage to make all guns in time.

post-3739-0-77357700-1390936735_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help, it's good to know the real lenghts!

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti:

After two years deciding if I would continue the VASA kit that a friend gave to me because he couldn’t do it, and the work done was wrong and must be undo, finally I decided to begin with it and I think it’s getting pretty well.

Although the instructions are very poor, the pictures of the VASA museum and especially your posts in MSW  forum, that I followed since the beginning, have been invaluable. Great job you're doing.

From your pictures on the forum I see  you didn’t get already to the deck pulleys (?). Anyway, I would appreciate your opinion about this. According to the Manual blue prints and photos there are 3: apparently 2 equals (between mizzenmast and main mast) and another near the foremast, all of them with the same pulleys (F375, 6mm) so that should be 6 and the kit have only 4.  By other part the kit contains 12 pcs of 5 mm (F565) and checking the Manual and Drawings I see that only 8 are used.  Can be that the one near the foremast are intended to use this 5 mm pulleys?

Regards from the Gulf of California (Mexico),  Karl

post-797-0-82098600-1391021769_thumb.jpg

Karl,

By all means start a build log.  I went and looked at mine and I would suggest using the smaller pulleys on the smaller of the bitts.  If you use the bigger ones on the small bitts you won't have any strength left to the wood as the opening will be too large.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. Ill also keep that in mind. Mark, how did you do regarding the cannons? DId you use the ones in the kit or replace them?

Lawrence, I wish that was my deck, but I ment that I will start maping the cannons on the 1:10, and I used a pic of that model to show the difference between the cannons on the upper deck. Sorry for the confusion and I'll try to be more clear.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti and Mark:

Thanks for your suggestion Mark, Now I must  to considered how to distribute the pulleys in the bitts because the number of pieces.  By the way, I see your  Wasa model in the gallery and looks very nice.

Matti, anyway will be interesting to see what you will do when you get to this point. Knowing your interest in having the most accurate model probably you will modified the bitts because in the museum pictures they appear with four (the 3 singles ones) and two (the 2 doubles) pulleys per bitt instead of two and one in the model

Thanks both of you for your suggestion to begin a new log.

Muchos saludos!!

post-797-0-26313200-1391127472.jpg

Heyas Karl!. So you finally decided to post here. I'm so glad.

So you finally decided to tackle that Vasa. Good. There are some really and I mean REALLY good build logs of the Vasa here, and the discussions are an infinite source of knowledge.

Nice to see you here!

Plans to come to Monterrey soon?

Greetings

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!