Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

They look great, too bad they will be under the roofing. Kind of like that great helm you built. But then we don’t do this for others to see, as much as to know ourselves it looks good. They look good. 👍

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the hurricane house under roof. Wife and I were in the woods (roughing it in an AC cabin, with full kitchen, 2 bed rooms, and a bath, on beautiful Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia, but alas No Modleing😬) so not much got done on CWM for a bit. But I am am finally back at it.

we did manage to finish several bottles of wine 😇

4195D71E-7773-490C-9EA5-00C2B024AA7D.jpeg

0F500702-ABE6-4D90-8BF3-E7BF948CD227.jpeg

Welcome back. Glad you had a good time.

nice job on the roof. Seems a shame to cover up all that nice work beneath it.!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

Ron,

It appears that the roof between the two deck houses covering the steering wheel provided shelter for the helmsmen. I believe this was a unique feature of the whaling bark. Although that also juju included shade from the tropical South Pacific sun, I am sure it sheltered the helmsman from the rough storms including hurricanes. 

My thoughts based on what I have read on the Whaling Industry. 

http://www.girlonawhaleship.org/jernapp/refCard.do?shortName=bark

The two cabins were connected overhead to provide shelter for the helmsmen at the steering wheel, in the "hurricane house." 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In between selling our current house and buying a new smaller place, not much is happening in the shipyard. And I expect that progress will be very slow over the next few months.  I’m afraid I may have to sell off some of my stash because of lack of room in our new home.  😬.  Anyway, I did manage to get the mizzenmast in place.

E85CC67B-C9CA-4FFA-8249-AD795949177C.jpeg

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, John Ruy said:

Ron, It’s good the see you back at it again. Glad your a settled and able to start work on the CWM. She is a beautiful ship to build. 

Welcome back, I look forward to watching your progress. 

John

Thanks.  I missed working on the ship.  

Making great progress there.  Looks fantastic!

Did you apply the lettering to the side of the hull and the stern?  If not, I'm currently working with a guy who is making me custom decals.  He just sent me proofs that I need to check against my hull, but they look great on the sheet.  I can pass his contact info along if you think you might be interested.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

35 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Did you apply the lettering to the side of the hull and the stern?  If not, I'm currently working with a guy who is making me custom decals.  He just sent me proofs that I need to check against my hull, but they look great on the sheet.  I can pass his contact info along if you think you might be interested.

I haven’t done any lettering yet. Would like contact info. Thanks  😊 

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Custom decals! I would be very much interested in that.

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

I have the supports for the shelter/boat bearer in place.  Next I need to make the harpoon racks and bucket hangers before roofing it in.   The knee braces were a devil to make.  I kept trying to assemble from a single piece of wood, but I no sooner just about have the correct shape and they’d split 😖 I finally made them with 2 pieces of strip wood and sanded to the shape in place. 

F253D6F8-CEDB-4E5C-9849-2E5885E5A4E7.jpeg

Edited by Papa

43 minutes ago, Papa said:

I was thinking about hanging a few harpoons on the racks in the shelter, but i can't seem to find any harpoon dimensions by asking Google

Can someone provide that info to me, say from the MS Whaleboat kit.

Traditional harpoon dimensions can vary wildly, depending on where and who made them. In general, I can suggest a length of 80-100 cm for the iron and 120-140 cm for the wooden shaft, for a total length of 200-220 cm--since the wooden shaft locks partly inside the hollow section of the iron, some total length reduction can be expected.

Edited by Eurus

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

15 hours ago, Eurus said:

Traditional harpoon dimensions can vary wildly, depending on where and who made them. In general, I can suggest a length of 80-100 cm for the iron and 120-140 cm for the wooden shaft, for a total length of 200-220 cm--since the wooden shaft locks partly inside the hollow section of the iron, some total length reduction can be expected.

Thanks.  Any suggestions for the diameter?  I am thinking maybe 3 to 4 cm?  Hmmmm at 1/64 scale this might not be a good idea.  A 1mm dowel will scale up to around 2.5 inches. Seems a bit fat, but they were stabbing 🐳 

19 minutes ago, Papa said:

A 1mm dowel will scale up to around 2.5 inches. Seems a bit fat, but they were stabbing 🐳 

Ron, Here is a photo of a harpoon In my Whaleboat on my CWM. This may give you some perspective? 

The Harpoon shafts were a bit larger than an oar. 

6A98E239-6F10-4831-8B77-DCC93C46DBAF.thumb.jpeg.016755bbe7c7c087b38777e791c6bdba.jpeg

044E03DB-AED5-4D93-9EC9-829574C3326F.thumb.jpeg.1c277f35692bb4fa22731274b23c2d9e.jpeg

My CWM was a bit smaller scale, this photo may be helpful as well. 

BA1D30F3-519D-4367-A446-5FCCCD33B0E7.thumb.jpeg.09cacecd2d81bc1e3d2d40b709ca7a10.jpeg

Your Morgan is looking great. 👍

5 hours ago, Papa said:

Thanks.  Any suggestions for the diameter?  I am thinking maybe 3 to 4 cm?  Hmmmm at 1/64 scale this might not be a good idea.  A 1mm dowel will scale up to around 2.5 inches. Seems a bit fat, but they were stabbing 🐳 

The diameter might be perhaps 1-1.5 inches, I agree, 2.5 seems too fat, especially considering that it is not like a bullet (the impact and penetration made to kill) but rather, the harpoon is a means of fastening the whale to the boat, preventing its escape. The whale is killed by a stab with a lance, a much longer device designed to penetrate and come out easily--as opposed to the harpoon, which is made to stick thanks to the flues.

The killing blow is delivered by the boatheader with said lance, and usually aiming at the heart or the lungs. Harpoons won't penetrate as deep.

For reference, look at these:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/65159530_antique-single-fluke-harpoon

Perhaps a pin or a common embroidery needle might do the trick at that scale.

Edit: the wonderful picture that John Ruy found shows the harpooneer holding a lance, not a harpoon. Lances are typically longer, and are not meant to detach from their wooden shafts. Harpoons are expendable, lances are prized possessions.

Edited by Eurus

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

On 8/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, Eurus said:

Thanks.  Any suggestions for the diameter?  I am thinking maybe

I found some dimensions in several museum sites.  One had a harpoon that was 94” long overall. From that i estimated some other dimensions  and am putting a few together. John Ruy’s pictures suggest some modifications to what i am doing.  Once i am happy with the look i will post pictures. Thanks to everyone for the advice

• 2 weeks later...