HMS FLY 1763 by 0Seahorse - FINISHED - CARD - 1:100

Greetings to all.

My name is Tomek. For some time I have been working on my next card sail ship the British cutter HMS "Fly". I build my models only from paper and cardboard without painting (of course masts and rigging are made of wood and thread). I will honestly admit that "Fly" is my 20 cardboard model of a sailing ship so it looks much better than my first models from 15 years ago.

The "step by step" how I design and build card sailing ships...

1. Frames made of 1mm card. The model is really small (about 16 cm long)1992943593_szkielet04.jpg.b2868d3a62e8584fdb025b285c60e0a0.jpg

2. The first layer to strengthen and stabilize the hull2096148747_poprzeczne04.thumb.jpg.282baaffb3e34ab21a652cd353bc738b.jpg 

3. The second layer made of 0,5 mm card. The glue is applied only in places where the edges of the frame are located . Thanks to this the hull gets soft curves without visible "cow's ribs" ...1895396340_podne002.thumb.jpg.3cded37676e14d0b9cfe3c052a2dd3ce.jpg 

4. Attaching the third final layer on a well-prepared hull is a pleasure.1428007581_kadub10.thumb.jpg.cb61ec88bc93b0eaa55085c9b9d4eeb7.jpg 

5. The deck equipment and artillery

312030506_hull15.thumb.jpg.1e892dbca1b858ab4a9ee2a217edd3d8.jpg

6. The current stage - the mast and the bowsprit with standing rigging

702.thumb.jpg.508865d1910345d186203619e7eb24db.jpg 

Regards

Tomek

szkielet 03.jpg

poprzeczne 05.jpg

podłóżne 001.jpg

kadłub05.jpg

kadłub04.jpg

711.jpg

705.jpg

704.jpg

701.jpg

Hello Tomek, welcome and thank you for the details of how you build, the model looks very nice. A lot of fine detail in the small model.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Tomek,

Outstanding work.!!!!!

Could you detail how you make the sails and what material?  You have excellent craftsmanship.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Dowmer,

Thank you for appreciating.

SAILS. I think, that in 1:100 scale any sewing is far out of scale, so I use only transparent glue (for wood for example Pattex). The material is batiste. I soak a part of it with glue and when it is dry I cut of long stripes. I glue them on the sketch of a sail. Then I cut out the sail and glue stripes on the other side. At the end I glue ropes and some cringles. Such sails are rather stiff (because of glue) but can be bent. Sometimes I use glue, water and hairdryer to give them the "windy" shape. Pictures below

Regards

Tomek

ruch 01.jpg

ruch 02.jpg

32.jpg

Hello, Tomek.

Fantastic finish! I didn't think to ask about it earlier, but I assumed at first that this was a Shipyard kit, but then I remembered that they usually publish in 1/96 scale rather than 1/100. Could you fill us in on the publisher of this kit?

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Tomek,

When you state you only glue the edges did you mean both the horizontal and vertical edges of the frames, rather than gluing the whole face of the first planking?

Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

1 hour ago, Richmond said:

Tomek,

When you state you only glue the edges did you mean both the horizontal and vertical edges of the frames, rather than gluing the whole face of the first planking?

Richmond

Sorry for my English, it is not perfect so... on the picture below you can see what I meant "the 1-st and 2-nd layers" and "frames". I put on glue only where green lines are. Then I apply glue on the whole face of the final planks (3-rd layer).

Regards

Tomek

1st and 2nd layers.jpg