1929 Chris-Craft 38' Commuter by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Dumas - Scale 1:12

Front deck and cockpit after 1st coat of epoxy (not sanded).

Regards,

David

Front Cockpit (1st Coat).jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Here's the finished cockpit.  The seats are done but only dry-fit for now, because I need access to detail the instrument panel before I glue them in.  They will also have hunter green seat cushions on the completed boat.

I provided a few views, because the finish is so glossy that in some views you get weird light reflections or wood colors.  That doesn't happen to the naked eye.

Regards,

David

Finished Front Cockpit 1.jpg

Finished Front Cockpit 2.jpg

Finished Front Cockpit 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Cabin roof is done.  The mahogany roof edging you see is attached to the boat and isn't finished yet.  I'll finish it along with the mahogany in the rear.  The roof is still removable and I won't fix it until the end.

Regards,

David

Roof 3.jpg

Roof 2.jpg

Roof 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Rear cockpit now done, although lots of details left to do.  The cabin roof is still not glued on, and the mahogany trim below it needs to be finished once the full handrail is done.  The front seats are also just dry-fitted, but the rear is all glued in.  Because it's a static model, I skipped a step to make part of the rear deck removable.

The instructions are interesting -- they say to finish the seats "with your favorite material", which implies regular varnish.  That would be simpler, but it leaves the seats out of step with the finish on the rest of the boat, so I did all of the rear (and the front seats too) with the epoxy/spray treatment.

The epoxy/spray is not something you want to do a piece at a time, so I'm doing it in batches.  My plan is just one more batch after this if construction permits that.

Regards,

David

Rear Cockpit 1.jpg

Rear Cockpit 2.jpg

Rear Cockpit 3.jpg

Rear Cockpit 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I'm now at the small parts stage, and with the epoxy finish process involving heat + mix + apply + hot box cure done 3 times plus at least one more spray coat, I decided to work ahead and prepare all of the remaining mahogany parts so I could finish them all at once.  See pictures of the parts ready to begin the finishing process.  Once these are finished, I can go back in the manual and start detailing the boat.

Regards,

David

Parts 1.jpg

Parts 2.jpg

Parts 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Rear console, windshield and grab rails now installed.  There's a bit more detail needed on the roof.  It's still just dry-fitted -- I won't glue it down until I have all of the detail (hatches, pennant, horns) installed.

For the smaller parts, I skipped the third epoxy coat, and it seemed to be fine, but I'm getting better at applying the first two.  I would not recommend that for the hull, which is a large "mirror-like" surface and needs all 3 coats, but on the smaller parts, it doesn't seem to matter to my forgiving eye.

The cabin roof is made of balsa, and it's a bear to work with.  I drilled a 1/8" hole for the spotlight, and it chipped away -- had to fill with wood filler and touch up.  So for the grab rail eyelets, I just pushed them through without drilling.  I'm modifying my approach to the rest of the roof details to make sure I don't do any more drilling on it.

Regards,

David

Rear Console 1.jpg

Rear Console 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Everything is now done except for the seat cushions.  I have to be careful with those because they are made of the hated balsa wood, which has given me so many fits building this model.   :default_wallbash:

This went fast because once you get the finishing done, it's just assembly.  BTW, it's supposed to have two horns, but one of mine was broken.

The seats will be hunter green, which should look really nice against the dark wood.

Regards,

David

Almost Done 1.jpg

Almost Done 2.jpg

Almost Done 3.jpg

Almost Done 4.jpg

Almost Done 5.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I have cut and shaped and dry-fitted the seat cushions.  When I paint them, I want the paint to continue under the cushions a bit so that nothing of the back side edge is visible.  But that makes painting more difficult.  My solution was to glue a thin stick to the back of the cushions, two to each stick, and use clamps to hold them for drying.  Here they are with sealer on the balsa waiting to dry.  Then I'll use the same approach when I paint them, continuing the paint a bit under the edge to the back side.

The sticks will pop off and I can sand down any residue on the back.

Regards,

David

Cushion Rig.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Micro Marine:

Yeah -- I am constantly re-engineering my plan for my home office -- the only place I'm allowed to have them.  This one will make 10.

You mentioned the St. Lawrence -- in July we'll be in the 1000 Islands Area, and out on the water one day, so I'll look for some CCs.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

COMPLETED!

Here's a single picture showing the seats.  Full completion pictures of the boat are in the Completed Kit-Built Gallery.

It's been a fun build.

Regards,

David

CC Commuter 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Great job David, the colours you picked are wonderful!!

• 8 months later...

Robert:

Instructions are fine.  Materials are OK -- the main thing is not to let the mahogany second planking get too dry and brittle.  I used a steamer on it for the bends and found that it did get brittle when it dried.  You should buy the finishing kit they recommend -- and use it as recommended.  I found that I had to mix small batches of the brush-on as it firms up quickly.  The whole point of this boat is the look of the mahogany, so it's all in the finishing.

One thing I did was to warm the bottles of finishing goo before mixing them, using a box and a light bulb.  Also, you should definitely build a box larger than the boat and use it with a light bulb to cure the finish.  Temperature is important and my workroom is cold-ish.  Finish the smaller pieces of mahogany and then mount them.  

I tried to keep a good log, so you can see some of what I did in the log.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area