HMS Victory by mort stoll - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1/72

Finally completed the stern and quarter galleries. Definitely for me the most difficult part of the build so far.  It was difficult to shape those baluster patterns and the decorative brass strips. I still have to varnish the stern and quarter galleries. 

I also just finished the side entry port and steps. I added rope lines to the steps even though the kit doesn’t show them as I couldn’t imagine those older admirals being able to climb those steps without them,   

Stay safe and well,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 months later...

Quick update. I’ve completed and mounted the channels, their dead eyes,  gunport lids  and just finished installing the cannons with tampons. I made my own lids as I wanted the hull planking to be visible along with the lids interior planking. I used #28 wire for the second ring on the lids and as PaulB did I used 2 eye bolts and a piece of wire to mimic the latch on the lids inner side. 

Stay safe and well,

Mort 

245434EA-BF25-421F-842C-EE9C1CC021A2.jpeg

6013BC0F-55A3-43B0-92AF-DAB5D8785415.jpeg

3477BAA9-CEC4-4FEF-9137-B96AA8676080.jpeg

524BD9F5-1A0C-4F87-9AE1-B5F40DFAAEFA.jpeg

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Have just mounted the rudder. I used dome headed pins to simulate the rivets and added a rudder coat as per Longridge. I used .50 tan thread for the rope line to the mizzenmast channel. I couldn’t organize the stopper knot properly so I fastened the rope to a medium cleat.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Stay safe and well,

Mort

0C86AE1E-CA15-41D1-AC20-1CDD6499F938.jpeg

3BEA00C1-8184-4881-A879-C27B43E7CB22.jpeg

071F1075-961F-43CD-9BAF-16B0B06EDA47.jpeg

503B305D-849C-4F67-A2EB-C8DD91B891CC.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hammock cranes mounted and nettings sewn onto .25 black line. It was very tedious and precise work. Seemed to take forever. I used black tule for the netting. Am now making the hammocks. 

C83B8027-AC2D-419C-910F-83CE827F711F.jpeg

3A56C157-A38F-4568-AE91-D265B6B6158E.jpeg

C95C1958-1E15-49CA-B119-19FBC92CBA4C.jpeg

636F0054-EC2A-44BA-87F2-E3893BC87E37.jpeg

The hammock cranes are different heights. The only pictures of hammocks in the cranes I’ve ever seen show them folded in half within the cranes. I would think that the hammocks in the shorter cranes would have been shaken loose by the motion of the ship if they were folded in half. Longridge, Goodwin in “The Construction and Fitting of English Man of War” and McKay in “The AOS Victory” make no mention of their proper stowage. Only of the cranes themselves. Mondfeld shows them folded in half. Lavery in “The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War”says that within the lower rails “they must have been stowed - lengthwise -  on their sides” -  which to me makes perfect sense - but he’s specifically referring to the cranes at the break of the poop and quarterdeck.  

The cranes at the forecastle and quarterdeck are only slightly larger than those at the break of the poop. My question is how should I stow the hammocks in those cranes, folded in half or lengthwise on their sides? 

42A85DA0-3CE0-44AA-8C9A-4A22AF7F561D.jpeg

242C3585-1B13-4B87-8F42-8CBBC7701B64.jpeg

239CBC1D-174B-446F-B6D2-ABDFEA8F0860.jpeg

DCAA5B27-9B2B-4B38-A4A8-1FE6904C17BC.jpeg

0F78D106-9855-4CD8-8C7E-5F31ADB7917F.jpeg

Am making the hammocks. Have a lot more to make, and have mounted the hammocks at the break of the poop and the ones on the starboard waste. Am still unsure how if I should mount the hammocks in the smaller cranes - on their side length wise as Lavery suggests in “The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War -  or in a  ushape - as I’m sure the ships motion would shake them loose if they’re mounted in a ushape. 

I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Hope you and your families are having a great holiday season, have a wonderful Christmas and an amazing 2022. 

Stay safe and well.

Mort

• 2 weeks later...

81C9D25F-EA10-4434-BFF2-C28DD31B69B2.jpeg

20C4C078-E39F-4DA5-80C3-B85FC0D1B310.jpeg

EC726074-D652-4652-98B8-F87CB0926A7D.jpeg

DF90E02D-7742-488B-AEDD-3D2E92E65912.jpeg

83829671-E783-45B1-99FF-788B5D1998FD.jpeg

D4886F45-4F6B-416A-ADF5-29E45FE4C324.jpeg

9B7B19FF-0EC5-45E5-92A1-D1969FF0D21B.jpeg

E12A7131-F867-44B9-BFD7-CEAFB90282C4.jpeg

Have finished the hammocks as the above pictures show. The jig designed by a fellow club member saved me tons of time. It was a godsend. The height of the cranes varied depending on their location - quarterdeck, forecastle, break of the poop etc. Per Longridge in the “AOS” and Lavery in “The Arming And Fitting Of English Ships Of War.” It seemed more logical to have the hammocks in the cranes of lower height laid lengthwise, on their sides as opposed to being folded in half in a v-shape which was how I stowed the hammocks in the higher length cranes.  In the shorter height cranes I’m sure the ships motion would have shaken them loose from the cranes. 

After researching the color - Lavery and Longridge - I made the hammocks from cocktail napkins purchased at Party City.

Have a wonderful and safe 2022.

Thanks everyone for the likes. Appreciate them.

Very nice Mort, some really interesting modifications.  Looking very shipshape.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 1 year later...

AEA67D81-008C-41E6-909F-77AC6F7A4BF1.thumb.jpeg.1cf9bb58da26747ec19b35854b5c1934.jpeg8ABB2C2F-98E6-40EB-B22B-97BED48416E5.thumb.jpeg.0a174bb7f732953f0d5383d7e03e26c7.jpeg

18105E82-BB4F-40B8-8B9E-26CA605F67C2.jpeg

ADD07524-D389-4EEA-BBA5-6DA1E0001F34.jpeg

Lanterns, anchors and anchor buoys mounted last week. The White Ensign hoisted Friday. She’s complete. An overwhelming project  but well worth it. At times it seemed she’d never launch - especially with my embellishments - but she’s definitely worth it. 

Mort

Forgive me but I would be remiss if I didn't mention Heinz746, Jerry, Kevin,Gil,Sjors, Shipyardsid, Helli and Robert29 for your Build Logs which were a TREMENDOUS help as I have dyslexia and spatial issues.

All the best,

Mortr

Congratulations Mort on finishing your Victory.  You took an excellent kit and your embellishments turned this into an outstanding model.  You have to be mighty proud every-time you look at your Victory.  This one will definitely become a family heirloom.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Want to thank everyone for all the likes. They mean a lot coming from you.

Graham I neglected to thank both you and glenard in my above post, sorry for that.

Rob your Stefano is a thing of beauty.

Ryland your work is immaculate, your workmanship amazing. 

Jason had your Snake and Diana logs been available when I built my Snake and Diana my builds would have been so much easier.

KHauptfuehrer I have your build booked marked so If I do build the kit in my closet it will be a valuable reference.

All the best and thank you,   

Mort

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any idea where I can get naval figures in 1/72 scale for my Victory? I've been searching the web and various sites without success.

Thanks,

Mort 

Vanguardmodels.co.uk

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 1 month later...

For the past few months I’ve been recruiting a crew. A Fellow New Jersey Club member showed me how to paint the figures. They add a presence to the model I think. I tried to show them doing various maintenance tasks. I hope I didn’t over do it. 

All the best,

Mort

IMG_1263.jpeg

IMG_1265.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

IMG_1267.jpeg

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg

IMG_1260.jpeg

IMG_1259.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1254.jpeg

Wow they look great, you must be very proud of your Victory. I would just get a chair and a coffee and look at it for ages. 

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

• 1 month later...

My Victory has finally arrived at her permanent home at my son’s office. My granddaughter painted the background.

All the best,

Mort

IMG_1341.jpeg

IMG_1333.jpeg

That is definitely a family heirloom.  I am sure your son is mighty proud of the work you did on your Victory and glad that he is the recipient of this beautiful model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Utterly Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1