HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

Hi Peter,

yes it as a bit quiet from your side and its nice that you`re back on stage.

Welcome to the pensioneers Club, it must be wonderful to have time again for all that gives pleasure to life. I did`nt know that you were Pilot, must be a nice Profession.

I have a question to you, probably may be able to answer Peter......

I`ve asked myself how the sprit-Yard, when the sail is pushed Forward by the wind, remains in that Position...., and for instance what lines or tackles are taking over the part to prevent the Yard from moving Forward ? The other way round there is a fine tackle with violin block from the sprit-cap to the Yard, can be seen well on your pic...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Ken

Yes, the spanker is in place. The reduction was done by cutting it rather as a mizzen sail with a vertical aft edge than as a spanker with a wide foot..

Below you find the sketch of the ‘spanker’:

post-504-0-99481300-1416326965_thumb.jpg

Regards

Peter

Hallo Nis

So, I presume you are a member of that club as well? Thanks for the welcome.

The profession was very nice – except maybe when you had to master all possible horrors of aviation twice a year in your simulator sessions or when you had to steer an aircraft through the thunderstorms in the bay of Bengal or while trying to stay awake and alert through countless endless nights or while trying to get some sleep in a rundown hotel somewhere in Africa or freezing your behind of in Moscow while wondering if having your aircraft heated with the exhaust gas of an old MIG engine really was the best way to get rid of all that snow and ice or while being held back somewhere by some unrest or civil war or other or – and that was the worst of all – while reading your chief pilots monthly bulletins.

But the sunrise was always beautiful.

Good question! It seems really a bit strange that there is never something like an in-hauler or similar. On my Pegasus the lashing of the jibboom prevents the sling of the spritsail yard to move further forward but I think the main back holding force of the whole arrangement came through the braces and a bit through the sheets. This however in turn would mean that the thrust from the sail was also brought to the ship through exactly those same lines. Or perhaps the friction between yard and bowsprit could also transfer a significant part of the force. Anybody got any other ideas?

Regards

Peter

Thanks for the reply.  And congrats on your new found freedom.  (Still have to answer to the Admiral, of course.)

I like your shape for the spanker.  Did you have any problems with the brailing?   I had a hard time where the gaff meets the boom.  Do you have a photo of your final result?

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hi Peter,

that sprit-Yard rigging Looks great, also with the White wall as background

Are you going to rig the sprit top sail Yard as well ?

What was the reason you Chose to rig for a mizzen sail instead of a larger spanker sail with the Long Driver boom, like the Amati plan Shows ?

I noted that you (in your scetch for the mizzen sail) arranged the lashing to the gaff boom, one per Cloth width, two per next Cloth, one per next Cloth, two.....etc..., I remember reading that somewhere but unfortunately I ca`nt remember where, but I think it is an nice authentic note

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Congratulations on your advancement, Peter.  And congratulations on getting to spend time in Cayo Ueso, one of the best spots in the universe.  It's good to have you back here in the modelling world.

Cheers (I'll tip a glass in your direction this evening!)

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Nils

Thanks. Yes and the white wall doesn’t swallow to much light either. It was a good idea for the working place.

The sprit topsail yard will follow and also carry a furled sail (first time I will try this).

The shape of the sail was chosen only to reduce the amount of furled cloth. It should represent a normal spanker where its foot matches the length of the boom. The lashing is according to Lees sketches of spanker and driver (have you got that book yet?).

Cheers

Peter

Thank you very much, Martin

Yeah, the conch republic definitely has its very unique charm although the tourists sometimes are a bit disturbing (tourists: other foreigners which invade with cruise liners).

Cheers

Peter

Edited by flyer

Hi Nils

Thanks. Yes and the white wall doesn’t swallow to much light either. It was a good idea for the working place.

The sprit topsail yard will follow and also carry a furled sail (first time I will try this).

The shape of the sail was chosen only to reduce the amount of furled cloth. It should represent a normal spanker where its foot matches the length of the boom. The lashing is according to Lees sketches of spanker and driver (have you got that book yet?).

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

yes, thanks to your recomendation I followed, I have Lees book from a dutch antiquariate since a couple of weeks, and thats also where I read about the holes (spanker) arrangement for the head lacing to the gaff on page 155.

I also have Lennarth Peterssons " Rigging Period Ship Models" , that publication is a great help for my rigging process and sail making

I just wrote this by using "Google Chrome explorer" first time, and now at last I can answer by using the quote button again, Chrome also works for posting pictures and commenting them like it was before.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Ken

Thank you (and I knew there was a hidden catch somewhere but at least that admiralty doesn’t write monthly bulletins).

Frankly I had no problems at all with the brails because I cheated and left them off completely. They would have been covered by the furled sail anyhow and only have added to the bulk of the cloth.

Checking on your (really nice) Fair American I presume, that you did the furling according Lees page 113. There the brails in fact seem somehow to double up as gaskets which I find complicated. I thought my brails could be more according to the sketch on page 109 (bottom right) because that seems to represent an older version. With those the clew would have been pulled more upwards (as it happened on my sail) and then I used a few single gaskets on the gaff and a spiral gasket on the mast to fix the sail.

Below you find some more pictures of the spanker (others are on page 17 of the log)

Cheers

Peter

post-504-0-96862600-1416499956_thumb.jpg post-504-0-23685700-1416499959_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-73928900-1416499968_thumb.jpg post-504-0-84643500-1416499970_thumb.jpg

The spritsail yard is now finished (the braces left off until later.

Next will be the sprit topsail yard with its furled sail.

post-504-0-19376200-1416500758_thumb.jpg post-504-0-79951500-1416500758_thumb.jpg

Great looking furled Spanker Peter,

also the hoisted ensign looks very nice (hangs naturaly)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hey Peter:  Your spanker looks great. 

I used Lees' page 113 and the description of spanker rigging on page 114.  The brailing method I decided on was probably not used until after 1818, so my method is not historically correct.  I added two single brailing blocks and one double on the gaff and one single block seized to a cringle on the sail.  All four lines ended up on the same mast cleat. 

Cheers.

Edited by KenW

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

While browsing through James Lees book to check what blocks where needed for the sprit topsail and the staysails, I noticed that a bowsprit netting was needed to stow the furled fore topmast staysail. As I intend to attach that sail furled I searched further and read that this said netting was to be attached to some nag or other cattle and suddenly felt much sympathy (again) for Stephen Maturin.

Then I found out that the netting was to be mounted between the bowsprit horses with two stretchers. Those horses (and those of the jibboom) were missing in this kit. In fact, the only kit so far where I came across that seemingly often overlooked detail was Mamolis ‘La Gloire’.

Fortunately I found also a picture of the netting in my book and was able to make one out of the same material I use for the hammock netting. The horses for both bowsprit and jibboom were also installed.

post-504-0-23890100-1416825985_thumb.jpg

Finished netting

post-504-0-55819100-1416825986_thumb.jpg

...fixed in place

post-504-0-48968300-1416825993_thumb.jpg

Horses installed

post-504-0-84967100-1416825992_thumb.jpg

The bowsprit cap gets a bit crowded. I installed two additional ringbolts on top for the horses.

Hi Peter,

That mate is an excellent catch, and what a nice addition. I must admit when I read Nag and Cattle I did wonder where you were going with this, very well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

While working in the bow I noticed that I was quickly running out of usable belaying points for all that running rigging. Therefore two additional knightheads had to be installed right up in the bow.

The skipper approved this and the bosun also changed the belaying point of the fore yard lifts to one knighthead aft of the one according to the kits plans.

Now it should get a little less crowded on those  knightheads.

post-504-0-05236900-1416838725_thumb.jpg

First try with a new knighthead

post-504-0-11413500-1416838726_thumb.jpg

Now, where did that carpenter go?

post-504-0-48671900-1416838728_thumb.jpg

The skipper seems content and the bosun already has other urgent tasks to be done.

Hi Peter,

beautiful work, that sprit netting Looks great,

did you have to take the fore topsail stays off and install them new through the netting again ? or does the netting lay between those two topsail stays ?

I just put on my first sail today (started with the spanker. I`m looking into your rigging now and then, this is being of help, and in combination with the plan and the two books I trust I`ll get along quite well. I intend to put on all the stay sails first and the square sails last

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Mobbsie

I must admit, that I really stumbled Maturin-like across that horse on the bowsprit when I first read about it. What does a horse do on a bowsprit? Whine and fall into the sea, most probably, panicky beasts they are. (I like them.)

Then I wondered why horses on the yards are always done in all details but those on the bowsprit hardly ever. No answer for that question.

Unfortunately most of the netting will probably be covered by the furled sail but we’ll see.

Hi Nils

No, it’s between the stays and quite easy to fit in.

Good luck with all that laundry you plan to hang into your rigging. Usually I follow W. zu Mondfelds advice and start aft and low moving upwards and forward and inboard to outboard also when installing yards and sails. But I never put up more staysails than spanker and jib so far.

I think it’s most important to find a working order where you don’t block yourself your access to further working areas and belaying points.

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter, very nice work.  I added the bowsprit netting on my Badger - you're right, it's mostly hidden by the staysail if you end up furling it.  A fun little detail to make.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That's a terrific detail to add, Peter, and you've done a great job on it. 

But, oh, sometimes my head starts to spin with so many, many lovely details to understand, and remember the placement of.  --All the more reason to revisit your log, eh?

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

• 3 weeks later...

As a break from the rigging work I made the anchors.

For size and number I relied on B.E.’s research (again: thanks!) and the remarks in one of my books on Granado.

The first bower anchor was produced with the ring made from the material in CC’s anchor kit. This looked out of size even without puddening. Therefore I made a new ring using 1mm brass wire.

For the iron bands around the stocks I used black cartridge paper which looks good even without painting it. The anchor metal was painted with Caldercrafts ‘metal black’.

post-504-0-10383100-1418559573_thumb.jpg

The left anchor still has the original ring from the kit. The right one shows the new ring before puddening

post-504-0-89855300-1418559574_thumb.jpg

The captain inspects the finished bower and sheet anchors and the smaller kedge. The kit for the stream anchor is still there as I’m undecided if to ‘stow it below’ (mentioned in Granados book) or not.

beautiful looking anchors Peter

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very very nice Peter.

It's surprising what detail can be put on the anchors, I made my pudding's with both black and white thread, also I put some studs onto the anchor shafts.

Never even thought about the stocks, I like that a lot, it's a minor detail but very effective.

Well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

That is one strong sailor, if he is in fact planning on lifting that good looking anchor with just one arm!!  ;)

Nice work as always, Peter.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks for all the likes.

What credit is due for the anchors really goes to B.E. I only managed a poor copy of his masterpieces but still got an improvement of the anchors straight out of the kit.

@Martin

Oh, he absolutely has to be that strong. I only got about 5 of those tiny sailors to do all the work on Pegasus and 2 of them are officers (I think, those don’t do real work).

But seriously: the sailor should show the quite astonishing size of the anchors even on a relatively small vessel as Pegasus. On the other hand - such an anchor had to have the strength to hold the whole ship against the force of current and wind. I think that the anchors provided with the kit are definitely much too small.

Cheers

Peter

Hi henry

The sailors are Amatis 25mm crew figures.

They may be hired e.g. via:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati_crew.html

Cheers

Peter

The boats just resting unsecured on the spars were not longer tolerated by the first officer and they were tied to the spars. I had no idea how to do it and opted for a simple solution. This should be OK, as there is no heavy weather expected - after all the ship is still in harbour.

post-504-0-30093700-1418762061_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-16866300-1418762063_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-35650200-1418762064_thumb.jpg

In the meantime the sprit topsail was made, bent to the yard, furled and the whole thing attached to the jibboom. The jibboom horse presented a small problem first as I initially found a drawing for the frigate Pandora where the horses hang below the sprit topsail yard. This would however present some problems when setting a sail on it. I thought the horses should lie over the yard to allow it to slide below them and also setting a sail without having to unbend the horses.

The yard was positioned just above the cap. The arrangement is somehow mirroring the mizzen mast.

post-504-0-26855600-1418762125_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-78371900-1418762125_thumb.jpg

Between the different steps of that undertaking  many small tasks went on: Making and attaching more gun port lids, adding buntlines and braces and generally slowly cleaning up the mess with all that loose ends of running rigging on the forecastle.

Hi Peter your anchors look just fine to me, and I love those last shots with the boats stowed.

Regarding the anchors I intend to stow the Stream anchor along the Portside channel behind the 'Best Bower'

The kedge anchor I will lash to the third Bower (Sheet Anchor) along the Starboard Channel behind the 'Small' Bower.

This business of Bowers is confusing because in reality they are all the same size, (21cwt) on Pegasus at least.

Regards,

B.E

and Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.