HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

Hi B.E.

Thank you, for the compliments.

I rechecked your Pegasus and saw the difference you built into those rails and bumkins.

Sigh.

Well, while working on the sails, I will have ample time to consider a rebuild.

Did you bend the finished bumkins or work that form out of a bigger piece of wood?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, just wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Frank

Thank you.

All the best for you and your loved ones!

Take care

Peter

Nice work Peter - did you decide to go with sails on this build? 

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike

Thank you and all the best for you and your family as well!

Yes, there will be furled sails. I’m still in the experimenting phase but pulling the threads to simulate seams seems to work OK. Following your lead I will glue the seams as far as needed (I found glue which seems to work fine but of course there is always room for improvement). So far I intent to sew on those parts of the boltrope which are needed but there will also be some experiments with gluing.

By the way – your Badger is looking mighty fine!

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

The 19’ launch from CC was constructed similar to the longboat but with slight improvements.

It will be fitted out with oars etc. It looks a bit better than the longboat and there might an improvement of the later become necessary.

post-504-0-63057100-1396353625_thumb.jpg

The captain inspects the new launch

post-504-0-39221500-1396353626_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the skipper seems to like it and the look in his eye tells me that he would like the longboat to be of the same standard. (In fact you see the bosun already calling the carpenters to work on that. I’m afraid they will be busy elsewhere and the work will end up on my table – as almost every time.)

Edited by flyer

• 3 weeks later...

Well, of course it went the way I dreaded, the way the skipper wanted. I had to remake the rear bench and that little deck in the bow of the longboat.

The details of the launch were completed and fortunately it fit into the reworked longboat without any additional supports.

Provisional stowing on the spare spars seems to show a piece of luck - that it should be possible to fix those two boats there just as they are.

post-504-0-38200500-1396353536_thumb.jpg

Reworked longboat and detailed launch

post-504-0-13027100-1396353537_thumb.jpgpost-504-0-90148000-1396353537_thumb.jpg

Boats provisionally stowed

Edited by flyer

Peter,

Oddly as a follower of your build, this, most resent update, is the first I've gotten in a while (must be my settings)

Well, nice update your ship is looking very splendid indeed.

10/4

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Martin

Thank you very much. :blush:  But sometimes I hate that skipper.

Peter

Hi Michael

Strange. I was able to follow your beautiful, beautiful Vasa uninterrupted. Perhaps the connection was reestablished both ways by the fact that I eventually could stay again 2 days in LA after a long interval. Spending some time on the beach at Point Dume certainly connects me somehow to California – a truly nice place. B)

Take care

Peter

While working on the boats I also tried to figure out how to make Pegasus’ furled sails.

Earlier solutions included sails sewn by my mother (35 years ago, for Dolphyn), bought whole from the kit supplier (for La Gloire, ugh), sewn by a professional seamstress with self applied bolt ropes (on Granado, still much room for improvement) and all were not truly satisfying.

post-504-0-37314700-1396353434_thumb.jpg

Sample sails:      left side: one unused staysail from Pegasus, made by a seamstress, no bolt ropes yet

middle: glued sail with hand sewn bolt rope – sigh

right: glued hem with boltrope glued into the hem, seams are penciled on – the best

post-504-0-66912200-1396353435_thumb.jpg

An example of a sail from the store, bought for La Gloire

Edited by flyer

First the finest cotton I could find in a drapery was lightly colored with a mixture of black and sage tea. Here I was following again the advice of Wolfram zu Mondfeld. The aim was to get a light brown-grey tone.

post-504-0-15117900-1396353358_thumb.jpg

The sail maker inspects the original cotton, lying on top of a dyed part

post-504-0-91075800-1396353358_thumb.jpg

This is the finest fabric I could find

Edited by flyer

Then I tried to make the seams by ‘pulling threads’.

First tries were encouraging but trying to do it in grander scale brought some problems forward: The progress was very slow and the thread kept snapping, making a whole sail useless. Then I saw that a lightly penciled seam looks practically the same way as a laboriously pulled thread.

The boltrope was first hand -sewn on. This looked too ugly. It was then glued into the hem according to the following very interesting link:

http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Rigging_and_Sails/ScaleSails.pdf

This provided so far the best result with a moderate amount of work.

The sail was shortened by about 30% to reduce its bulk when furled.

post-504-0-13992200-1396353232_thumb.jpg

Pulling threads provides a fine result but...

post-504-0-02831200-1396353233_thumb.jpg

A pencilled seam looks adequate with less work, producing no rejects

post-504-0-46510800-1396353233_thumb.jpg

Finished sail on the drawing of the sail in full size

Edited by flyer

Presently I’m bending on the first sail, the mizzen topsail.

Sometimes I wish I was only a dumb officer, just having to order what has to be done. But being also an unskilled sail maker, carpenter, seaman etc. provides me with a lot of repetitive work where I find nobody to delegate to. Perhaps a hobby with fewer repetitions would be better. I wonder if I should try base jumping...

post-504-0-45780100-1396350521_thumb.jpg

Bending on the sail with 2 robands per cloth

post-504-0-25232900-1396350522_thumb.jpg

Setting the sail makers crew to work on it somehow achieved no progress

Edited by flyer

Hi B.E.

I’m bowing to the applause. Thank you.

You are absolutely right about the heaviness of real stitching. Even pulling the threads looks already a bit heavy.

If you will not trouble yourself with furled sails I then presume you will show full sails in all their glory on your Pegasus!? ;)

Certainly, a sailing ship, especially one with those outstanding qualities as yours, will look a bit incomplete without sails, won’t it? :D

Cheers

Peter

I've been an advocate of penciled panel lines and glued boltropes for years.  Properly sewn sails certainly don't look bad on a model, but the actual-size sitching of real sails can't be duplicated in the scales we work at, and besides such lines are practically invisible at scale viewing distances.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Hi Michael

Strange. I was able to follow your beautiful, beautiful Vasa uninterrupted. Perhaps the connection was reestablished both ways by the fact that I eventually could stay again 2 days in LA after a long interval. Spending some time on the beach at Point Dume certainly connects me somehow to California – a truly nice place. B)

Take care

Peter,

Well you certainly chose a beautiful place in which to stay. It is also our season for the whales traveling north from Hawaii as well. Hope that you sighted a few spouts. Point Dume is a well known sighting area.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Great work!!!

Where did you get the sailors, Peter? If you painted them, what kind of prep and paint?

They really add a touch of scale and mean a lot more when you take pictures.

Keep up the great modeling.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I like what you are doing with the sails here Peter, I'm sure your patience and tenacity will pay off.

Just a quickie mate, what size thread are you using to tie the robands, I'm just wondering if a sowing thread might be a bit smaller.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Michael

No, but I didn’t know about the whales. Maybe next time.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Chris

Yes, I was hesitant to give up the idea of properly stitched sails but when even pulling threads looks out of scale, you have to go with the small, penciled line or leave the seams off altogether.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Jay

Thank you!

The crew was hired from Amati via http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati_crew.html

They come in cast metal. I cleaned them with some cleaning agent from the kitchen and painted with Caldercrafts ‘Admiralty Water Based Paints’. They even have a decent ‘Flesh’ color.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Mobbsie

What patience? You should hear some comments about my driving style.

About the robands: I didn’t find any dimensions in Lees and took the smallest thread delivered with the kit (0.1).

You could take some smaller sewing thread but this often has a fuzzy appearance and I wonder what size they actually used. Of course you spread the pull of the sail on all robands, but hardly equally and there is the thing about the weakest link to consider. Do you feel they are a bit heavy?

Cheers

Peter

Hello Mate,

I take your point about spreading the weight on all Robands.

At first I did think they were a little heavy but on reflection I think you have it about right and at 0.1mm you're not going to get much smaller.

I hope I haven't put doubt in your mind mate, that wasn't my intension at all.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie!

But you did put some doubt into my mind and that’s good. Sharing thoughts that way not only may improve our builds but is also fun. Mankind is a communicative species and men are just now gradually catching up on communication. Don’t let admiralty and other communication professionals keep a monopoly on doubts, hints, questions and shared thoughts. :)

Cheers, mate

Peter

First the lines for sail handling were checked. I will not rig leech lines or reef-tackles but buntlines, where necessary. When no mizzen topgallant sail is carried, the topsail doesn’t need buntlines (fortunately). But on main and fore topsails I will have to add the missing buntlines and necessary blocks.

Then the sail was wetted with a little water. In former projects I found it could be tighter packed this way.

Now it was furled and fixed with gaskets. The sail was first pulled up by the clues, but leaving a little way to the corners. Then it was rolled up over the front, leaving the corners protruding. The gaskets were put on alternately left and right from outboard inwards. The corners fall down over the front. The furling is not very tight and my excuse is that it is not supposed to be a rigid harbour stow but just for lying at anchor, ready to sail on short notice.

While furling some of the glued hems opened a bit. Lesson learned: use more glue and above all fix it with a smoothing iron as recommended. The furl is not yet tight enough. I will try to rework it.

The yard with the sail will not be mounted yet. I think it will be easier to fix first gaff and boom with the spanker, then the crossjack and then the topsail yard.

By the way – while trying to figure how to attach the driver boom I couldn’t see how its jaw would be fixed in height. I think a saddle on the mizzen mast is missing altogether and I will have to attach one.

post-504-0-93111900-1396350282_thumb.jpg

The corners of the wet sail are pulled up

post-504-0-11828000-1396350315_thumb.jpg

Now it is rolled up over the front side

post-504-0-84150900-1396350315_thumb.jpg

Gaskets added, corners remain protruding

post-504-0-40223300-1396350316_thumb.jpg

Corners pulled down over the front. When dry I will try to tighten the furl and perhaps add a few more and tighter gaskets before attaching the yard to the mast.

Edited by flyer

While checking which blocks might be missing to put up the furled spanker I couldn’t figure how to put up the boom.

The gaff is held up by halliards at both ends but the boom’s inner end seems to be levitating. Lees wasn’t too clear either and therefore I decided to attach a saddle to the mizzen in a similar fashion as on Granado.

To fit it around the finished mast I fabricated a ring from leftover ply wood, cut it in two (and made a small quoin to fill the gap resulting from some mistake with the measurements) and glued all together with 4 supports to the mast.

The boom should hopefully mask the tinkering.

post-504-0-01468500-1391025823_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-84918600-1391025824_thumb.jpg