HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

Finally the buntlines were attached according Lees and belayed on the quarterdeck rail. This is all the rigging which will be installed on the main yard for now.

post-504-0-44515000-1397655907_thumb.jpg

Buntlines installed

post-504-0-04796800-1397655895_thumb.jpg

Belaying the buntlines. Note the 2 blocks stropped together end on end for the buntlines.

Next was the main topsail. Its length was reduced by 40%. While making it, I noticed that the largest sail on a mast is in fact the topsail. The size of the yards was rechecked but the topsail yard is lighter than the main yard. But such a large sail should at least have two buntlines if the mainsail has four. They will be installed according Lees. Additional blocks were put in place on the yard and the masthead.

post-504-0-77633500-1397656037_thumb.jpg

The sail maker is putting the last stitches to the main topsail.

post-504-0-53382800-1397656038_thumb.jpg

The sail (reduced by the lower 40%) provisionally on the mast.

Hallo Niels

Of course I am glad if I will be able to help you. Ask away!

Regards

Peter

Peter,

she is coming on very nicely, and I`m watching with great interest....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Peter, it's been a while since I've visited your log (MSW isn't sending my updates to build logs that I subscribed to  :angry: ), but you've made really nice progress.  Your sail work is outstanding, and I'm taking notes for my next builds (which ultimately will include the Pegasus).  

Nice to see a Pegasus build in sails - I've always thought that she would look gorgeous all dressed up!

Looking forward to your future updates.  You're on the home stretch :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Nils and Mike

Thank you.

It’s actually fun to try to find out about the function of all those lines in the rigging (quite often I feel like Steven Maturin :huh: ) and to install them correctly. There are some differences between the kits plans and Lees book. Sometimes I go with the book and other times (especially if it’s simpler but still looks reasonable) with the plan. My Pegasus seems to have a unique bosun: sometimes he is very conservative and using old fashioned solutions and suddenly his work borders on science fiction. But over all I enjoy the setting up of the running rigging more than is right. :)

Cheers

Peter

Nice work, Peter, really nice.  And you're right about rigging -- it has a kind of hypnotic quality from the intricate problems that it continually poses.  But if you're going to start channeling Maturin, I do hope you'll stay off the laudanum. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin

You see, you need just a little splicing and knotting to fall into a kind of trance. So, who needs laudanum?

However, in order to compromise, I take occasionally the brandy part of it just leaving away the opium. :cheers:

(OK, those two are drinking beer, but I didn’t find a nobler smiley.)

By the way, I was intrigued by your use of ‘channelling’. Trying to improve my English I looked it up in the net. As I mostly found technical translations originating from channel I assume you use it as a technical slang.??

Cheers

Peter

Slang it is, Peter.  I think it comes from the weird world of seances, where a medium either takes laudanum (though brandy might do) or puts herself in a trance state by splicing and knotting, then "channels" spirits from other space-time continua.  My German isn't good enough to come up with anything terrbily close, but tragen could carry or channel the meaning in a way.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

• 2 weeks later...

The finished sail was provided with the necessary lines and furled to the yard. The buntline blocks were installed as descript in Lees. After putting up the yard with parrel ropes, ties and lifts the cluelines and sheets were installed.

For the lifts I choose (together with my bosun) a rather unconventional instalment. During the period of Pegasus’ build and live usually the topgallant sheets were used also as topsail lifts. In earlier or later times the lifts ran from the masthead; the same arrangement that is shown in the kits plans. The yard by yard build up seems easier for me, if I use separate lifts and sheets. Therefore, upon a suggestion of my bosun, I decided on a clove hitched span around the cap and seized the topsail lifts to it.

Another problem is the belaying of all those lines. The space is rather cramped and I try to find reasonable belaying points using the plans and Lees while not overcrowding the bitts and rails.

In the meantime the sail maker has started to work on the main topgallant sail.

post-504-0-45942700-1398940888_thumb.jpg

Parrel ropes attached

post-504-0-54908200-1398940889_thumb.jpg

Yard held with ties...

post-504-0-08793200-1398940902_thumb.jpg

...and lifts. You see the span around the cap with the lifts sized to it.

post-504-0-61933000-1398940902_thumb.jpg

Lifts

post-504-0-04137000-1398940928_thumb.jpg

In the beginning there is still some space to belay the lines on the quarterdeck rail

post-504-0-82982300-1398940928_thumb.jpg

Buntlines are in place

post-504-0-95951300-1398940944_thumb.jpg

Captain Jack asks for more order around the bitts...

post-504-0-91734300-1398940945_thumb.jpg

...and the bosun tries to live up to this rather untimely request.

rigging and sails look great Peter

also shrouds and ratlines well set..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That's a busy crew, and Cap'n Jack drives them hard!  But the work is paying off as the rigging all looks neat and tidy.  I especially like the look of the parrels -- my crew has a history of not getting those taut enough.

Well done,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

:) Thanks very much for all those likes. :)

@Nils

I’m looking forward to the rigging of your Pegasus. You see, setting it up and working on the details, can be as much fun as you have with the making of the interior details of your outstanding build.

@Martin

Thank you. Perhaps you should stop the grog for your crew if setting up of some rigging is planed? :cheers:

@B.E.

Thank you very much.

Yes, I had a long talk with my bosun about those lift/sheets. Well, he is actually quite old. When he started his naval career some 40 years ago, in the 1730ies, topsail lifts were set up separately (as they will again in about 14 years from now – but we don’t know this yet). To honor his long service I decided to allow us that little anachronism. Of course, this means 2 more lines to pull during maneuvers but fortunately I have a full crew of right seamen – and besides that I like the look of it.

Cheers

Peter

Excellent work Peter - your sails are coming out very nicely.  Well done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Peter

Just realised I've never commented on your log although I browse it frequently. You have done a great job in every respect and the sails look fantastic - as B.E says, it brings it to life. It tempts me but I fear sails are step too far for my skills.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Lovely work!

Cheers, Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Hi Mike

Thank you. You still haven’t changed your tag yet!? ;)

Cheers

Peter

Hi Alistair

Thank you for the compliments.

It is my opinion that a sailing ship should have some sails. Without them a crucial part is missing. Furled sails still let you see the whole delicate web of all the rigging while the ship seems more complete and the rigging has a meaning. Contemporary models seldom have sails but I think perhaps the sails and how to work them was either too self-evident (and similar on all kind of sailing vessels)or absolutely irrelevant  to take the pain to show them to those who mainly used those models: Professionals or investors(kings).

Aren’t you perhaps a tiny little bit overmodest with your remark about skills and sails? I visited your log! Painting the seams and gluing the hem is easily done and to dye the cloth you can even use some tea without passing it through you first. ;)

Cheers

Peter

Hi Mike

Thank you. You still haven’t changed your tag yet!? ;)

Cheers

Peter

Not yet, still have a long way to go :)  I blame all the skilled modelers like yourself for making me feel very much the novice :)

Mike

Hi Peter -- Your comments about the sails completing the ship and giving the rigging meaning has struck a chord.  My guess is that most of us have only ever thought that the sails would have to be unfurled, and would then obscure the view of all the details.  But with them furled, as you're doing, another intriguing element is added.  I'm going to have to keep this in mind  . . . though it will be about 4 years before I get to that point.

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Peter your build is looking fantastic!!!..... love your sails , rigging,and of course....  your motley crew!! :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

@Mike

:blush: :blush: :blush:

I always liked that Unicorn. (Corels Dolphyn was my first build). I’m happy to watch the development of a fine model.

@Martin

Years are going by ever faster lately, I find. You’ll be there very soon.

@Frank

It’s nice to hear from you. But I must protest: my crew is very crisp and proper – oh, you mean this ironical. :)

Take care

Peter

Well, Martin, this is a rather philosophical question. If everybody’s imagination is running in the same direction, doesn’t that make it real?  

Be it as it may, I once saw a T-shirt. On the front was printed:  I’M OVER 40

And on the back you could read:                                              Over the top

Going downhill

Picking up speed

It looks like that: the older you are, the faster you are. See it positively! When passing eighty you will be able to finish one ratline in 1/10 second or could start your formula one career and show all the Alonsos, Hamiltons and Rosbergs your taillights.

Be good

Peter

While the sail maker was busily stitching that topgallant sail the carpenter’s crew made some gun port lids 2.0. In the version 1.0 the inner layer was missing. This part fits into the frame in the gun port and brings the strength of the lid up to that of the ships side.

The size of the topgallant sail was reduced by 30%, the sail bent to its yard and the unfurled sail provisionally placed on the mast.

post-504-0-94942400-1399402670_thumb.jpg

First 3 gunport lids 2.0

post-504-0-70154200-1399402671_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-53542400-1399402672_thumb.jpg

The eyebolts for the lid’s tackle are some leftovers from Granado

post-504-0-50906500-1399402674_thumb.jpg

Main topgallant sail not furled yet

Peter, I can't believe I've never come across your fine build before. You make sails look easy and a thing of beauty. Top work.

Hi Frank

Thank you!

Hi Timmo

Thanks again. It is rather easy to make the sails the way I do. I will show the different steps during the making of one of the next sails. And in my opinion they really add to the beauty of the ship – they are the icing on the cake. Ok that’s another crooked comparison. Some (American) cakes just clobber you over the head with the icing while on the other hand the world’s best chocolate cake (yes, made by my wife) needs no icing at all.

Cheers

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

The sail, with the necessary lines attached, was now furled, the yard fixed to the mast as in the other examples and the different lines belayed.

While verifying the various belaying points with Lees help I found that contrary to the plans the cluelines should be belayed in the lower top. I decided to use shroud cleats for this. Those offered by Caldercraft seemed a bit large and therefore I made them from some leftover ply wood. To further harden them for their task I soaked them in CA glue before painting them black. They were then fixed with glue and some fine line on the inner side of the foremost shrouds.

As before lower sheets and the braces are left off. They will be installed only when all other work along the centreline of the deck has been finished.

post-504-0-55866800-1401126702_thumb.jpg

Shroud cleat

post-504-0-15795300-1401126704_thumb.jpg

Cleat fixed to the shroud

post-504-0-71183900-1401126716_thumb.jpg

Cleat with clueline belayed

post-504-0-35784700-1401126717_thumb.jpg

Topgallant yard in place

post-504-0-63169600-1401130940_thumb.jpg

Bitts and rail are almost full

Edited by flyer