HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

Peter -- I like your idea of the shroud cleats -- it solves a problem of where to belay those cluelines, and is a lot neater than tying them off on the block. 

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin

Yes, I just stumbled over that solution by chance and think it is quite tidy and easily done (and hopefully even historically correct).

Cheers

Peter

Next step is the making of the fore course and its attachment to the yard. It will then be fixed on its mast.

I will show the making of the sail step by step and hope to convince one or two fellow builders that sail making is manageable with a moderate effort.

First step is to find out the dimensions of the sail. I took a suitable plan sheet where all the masts and yards were shown. Usually the yards are shown in full frontal view and therefore the sails can be drawn directly into the plan.

For the head of the sail a parallel to the yard is drawn at the position where it would be with sails set.

The depth of the sail can now be found. The width could also be taken out of the plan but it must be checked with the actual yard.

At the head it must be a little less than the distance between the yard arm cleats. The width at the foot is the width between the cleats of the yard below. The foot of the main course is 2 clothes wider than the head. The fore course has parallel sides. The width of one cloth is between 24 and 30 inches. I took 10 mm which corresponds to about 25 inches.

All those and a lot more details can be found in James Lees’ The Masting And Rigging of English Ships of War.

My sails are simplified because in furled conditions hardly any details are visible. The seams are pencilled on (on both sides) and no linings or bands are shown. The boltrope is not sewn onto the edge of the sail but glued into the hem – in this scale the difference is hardly visible and the result beats any of my clumsy attempts to sew a rope onto the edge. Also the foot of the sail is straight – no curve is necessary.

Finally the size of the sail is reduced by 30...40% to produce less bulk on the yard.

For the hem I ad about 2,5 mm around the sail. This is rather wide but some extra width is needed to fix the boltrope inside the hem.

post-504-0-61820400-1401212820_thumb.jpg

Sails pencilled into a plan sheet

post-504-0-10928100-1401212821_thumb.jpg

Sail drawn

post-504-0-47943200-1401212831_thumb.jpg

Check with the finished yard(s)

post-504-0-95039000-1401212831_thumb.jpg

Sail pencilled onto the fabric (both sides!)

post-504-0-98597100-1401212839_thumb.jpg

The sailmaker has the sail ready for hem and boltrope

Me too, B.E., me too. Still it looks a bit hazy and things are hard to see in that great distance. But I will stubbornly continue like the one and only CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow: Towards the horizon and beyond…

Cheers

Peter

Now the hem with the boltrope inside was glued.

To lessen the bulk of the furled sails the rope was only included where visible: along the top edge and the two lower corners.

The holes for the robands were made with a large pin and finally the whole glue fixed with a hot iron.

According to the manufacturers information this should make the glued parts washable but in fact it’s only marginally water-resistant. Furling the sail would be easier when the fabric is damp but I have to be careful when applying water in order not to dissolve the hem.

post-504-0-01286000-1401445191_thumb.jpg

Boltrope parts for the top edge and the lower corners were prepared

post-504-0-19178800-1401445226_thumb.jpg

Top edge being glued...

post-504-0-02032400-1401445255_thumb.jpg

...and finished

post-504-0-68940100-1401445289_thumb.jpg

To form the head cringle the top boltrope is pushed back into the side hem through a hole

post-504-0-73144700-1401445332_thumb.jpg

Preparing one side

post-504-0-90159800-1401445376_thumb.jpg

Gluing it

post-504-0-13326300-1401445409_thumb.jpg

Pushing holes for the robands (2 per cloth)

post-504-0-99701600-1401445447_thumb.jpg

The sail maker is closely checking the finished sail

Mere mortals look at this in awe :).

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

The sailmaker is doing a good job Peter

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Peter -- your photos are great at showing the successive steps in getting those sails looking right.  And that sailmaker is probably going to need even bigger muscles to pick up those scissors!!!

But wait a minute -- Jack Sparrow?  What about Lucky Jack Aubry?

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Thank you, Alistair :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yes Nils, I’m very glad to have him. Just think of all the work I had to do myself otherwise…

Martin, you are right, of course. The Captain Jack appearing occasionally in my pictures is blond haired (not grizzled yet) and a regular sea officer but sometimes one fails to ignore that other likeable ruffian.

Thank you all for the comments and the likes.

Peter

• 1 month later...

After a longer brake for some gardening, hiking, holydays on Mallorca B)  and even some genuine work (flying) I found finally some time to spend with the little helpers in my wharf.

The sail was bound to the yard. I tried to do it as close as possible to the description in Lees’ book. It is repetitive work again but much, much faster done than ratlines.

post-504-0-98713900-1405162111_thumb.jpg

Sail at the yard

Now all the lines had to be attached to sail and yard. Again only one end per side of the double buntline could be fixed as it leads trough several blocks before returning to the foot of the sail. It can only be finished after fixing the yard to the mast. This time I even thought of attaching the parrel ropes before furling the sail – much easier that way.

post-504-0-80668300-1405162171_thumb.jpg

All the lines, including parrel ropes attached

The sling was also prepared and its parts fixed to the yard respective masthead.

post-504-0-63019500-1405162290_thumb.jpg

Parrel ropes and sling on the yard

post-504-0-71158300-1405162327_thumb.jpg

Sling lying on the sail

post-504-0-89973800-1405162358_thumb.jpg

Ready to furl

Now I furled the sail by first pulling it up with the buntlines over the front while leaving the two edges protruding. Then it was rolled up – again over the front of the sail – with the help of clumsy fingers, pincers and censured language and provisionally held with a few strings.

post-504-0-26062500-1405162559_thumb.jpg

Provisionally furled and bound with a few strings

At length the sail could definitely be bound. Working again from the ends to the middle I tried to tighten the sail even more to create a roll as small as possible. By working towards the middle I tried to get a visible bulk there. Dampening the sail carefully where the gaskets became to hold it helps. While furling you have to check constantly the correct run of the attached lines. A few gaskets will nevertheless have to be tied twice because something is always overlooked.

post-504-0-89993600-1405162656_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-66010000-1405162666_thumb.jpg

Sail furled

Now the yard was brought to the mast and fixed there first with the parrel ropes. Blocks were spliced into the ends of those and a simple tackle set up with a block on a ringbolt beside the mast.

post-504-0-80059500-1405162717_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-07079300-1405162726_thumb.jpg

Parrel ropes and their tackles on both sides of the mast

I seriously have to think about adding furled sails now. They are a superb complement to the model. It is way down the track for me but with your log I have a reference back to it. Great work it looks amazing.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Alistair

Thank you for your compliment.

Yesss! And all that masting and rigging work will suddenly have a raison d’être.

Take care

Peter

Hi Martin

Nice compliment.Thank you.

And yes, I try to follow the original way with the furling – except that I don’t try it balancing on a flimsy yard with 30m of empty space below and no safety lines attached. It seems the logical way and produces quite acceptable results with a reasonable effort.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you B.E.

Sometimes holding the camera somehow between all those lines while hoping not to tear one and trying to force to focus it on the part you wish to show while illuminating the model with all sorts of old leftover desk lamps and pushing the trigger blindly several times produces surprisingly satisfying results.

Cheers

Peter

So, to work through this analogy just a bit: there are aspects of photographing your build that resemble working the rigging without safety lines, eh?  :o

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Very nice work Peter.  This is bringing back flashbacks of when I added sails to my Badger - some good memories, some not so good :)  What I remember is how much time all this detail takes to do, and yours came out very nicely.  I'll have to try out your approach when I add sails to my build.

Alistair, I'm a big fan of adding sails.  With your attention to detail and precise work, your Fly would look fantastic with sails.  It took me a lot of time to research and experiment adding them to my Badger, but I think it was all very worth it if not for the aesthetics, but also to better understand how sails operated.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin

No safety lines and no wings either! Rather scary – but fortunately the feeling is scaled down to 1/64th as well. ;)

Cheers

Peter

Hi at-least-able-seaman Mike

Yes, improving the understanding of what you build is one point. And it never ceases to astonish me how they could sail such a complicated machine and even more often with success than failure.

Steven Maturin, I feel with you and all other landlubbers! :unsure:

Have you seen what astonishing things others do with their guns or their boats? Adding a little fabric seems comparatively easy.

Take care

Peter

After installing the sling and the lifts the next task were the buntlines.

I had only one end of them attached to the foot of the sail. The loose end was now thread through the block on the yard, the dedicated blocks under the top, through the upper of two single blocks stropped together head by head (similar to a shoe block) and back to the top and yard. This arrangement with the ‘shoe block’ is according Lees. A line leads to the lower part of the shoe block, hanging under the yard but close to the deck, with both ends belayed according the plans on the forecastle rails. I used a short end just fixed with a rolling hitch and a long end with a coil of line for working the whole arrangement.

The lose end of the buntline - after threading it through its block on the yard - was brought below the furled sail and then discreetly fixed around the yard as the correct fixing to the foot of the sail was impossible now. This should be overlooked.  

The last line was the clue line. It was installed according to the kits plans.

Sheets and braces of the lower yards will be among the last things to be fixed as they will hinder the access to the deck too much otherwise.

post-504-0-91963600-1406977258_thumb.jpg

Sling and lifts installed, the loose end of the double buntline still hangs over the sail.

post-504-0-53850500-1406977260_thumb.jpg

The black clip holds the free end of the buntline, while the red in the middle ground hangs on the lower of the two blocks stropped together.

post-504-0-13659000-1406977275_thumb.jpg

The incorrectly fixed end of the buntline.

post-504-0-96662700-1406977275_thumb.jpg

Clue lines belayed on the bitts

post-504-0-58935600-1406977277_thumb.jpg

Some adjustment of the sling is done

post-504-0-86524400-1406977295_thumb.jpg

Scary work without safety line

post-504-0-64905300-1406977296_thumb.jpg

The fore top starts to look businesslike.

That pin above the cap waits for the next task: Fore topsail yard with sail.

The rigging is coming on very nice Peter,

would love to see one or two sails completely rigged and set,

the ship Looks great as she is...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hallo Nils

Thank you.

And yes, I would like to see fully rigged sails done that way as well. That’s why I’m thinking of a small kit as a next project but with fully rigged sails. At the moment CC’s HMC Sherbourne is the favorite but Pickle or even Badger are not completely out of the race yet.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you B.E. Getting a compliment from somebody who is capable of carving a beautiful and completely detailed longboat in 1/64 out of a toothpick really is something. ;)

Cheers

Peter

Great and ambitious idea Peter,

whatever your choise, any of these three ships will look marvelous under sails, am curious already...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very tidy rigging, Peter.  This is a beautiful build, nicely photographed.  The figures complement the sails and all the other fine details (in particular I have to admire the line belayed on the bitts -- just the right amount and nice volume).

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel