HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

Hello Peter,

the stowed boats and the sprit topsail on the jib boom are looking great.

You did a good Job on tidying up the decks and loose lines, etc. All Looks neat and crisp now, very nice apeal...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi B.E.

Yes, your solution looks good – in every way.

And all the best wishes for you and all in this forum.

Thank you Nils.

But those pictures only show half the truth. The other half looks like this…

post-504-0-57665200-1418817047_thumb.jpg

(No wonder the bosun is quite beside himself shouting for right seamen to clean up that mess.)

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Peter

Now the first of the staysails, the fore topmast staysail was made. For the dimensions I used the data in Lees. The result was checked on Pegasus and in comparison to the proportions on HMS Pandora according to the book of the ‘Anatomy of the ship’ series. Both showed that the sail was too large. I corrected it according the proportions of Pandora’s sail. Then its size was reduced by about 40% (the sides were reduced by 20%) because the intention was again to show it furled.

The sail was bent to the preventer stag and the necessary lines attached.

Furling was quite tricky and after several tries the result seems acceptable for me, but I hope neither the bosun nor captain jack will have a closer look at that sail before it will be fully set the next time.

post-504-0-58922000-1419274734_thumb.jpg

The sail maker is putting in the last stitches. The four different sizes in the drawing are: First full size according Lees, full size according Pandora’s proportions, reduced first size, reduced smaller size – final version.

post-504-0-91871800-1419274704_thumb.jpg

The sail is being bent to the preventer stag

post-504-0-01545500-1419274763_thumb.jpg

The sail seems rather small but proved to be still quite large to be stowed...

post-504-0-81135900-1419274763_thumb.jpg

Stowed sail

post-504-0-55466300-1419274749_thumb.jpg

This is not a full harbour stow ready for an admirals inspection. The sail is supposed to be ready to be used on short notice.

That is seriously nice work on your sails. Great photos too. It inspires me to try the furled sails but a while to go before I get to exercise that decision. The sailor figures make it alive. I have a shouting bosun from Amati. I might try to paint him...

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Martin

Well, sails shouldn’t be too heavy but here I understand weight in a sense of substance and not just a whitish ornament somewhere on a yard. At least that’s what I want to create. Of course if I wanted real substance I would have to mount full sails – maybe I’ll try that with my next project.

Hi Alistair

But be warned: The more realistic you paint him, the louder he shouts! A real bosun could be quite deafening, I read somewhere.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

Just catching up with your build, beautiful detail and rigging work all throughout Sir, and your furled sails really enhance Pegasus very nicely :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo

Long time no see. It’s nice to have you back. Thank you for the comment.

Cheers

Peter

During the collection of facts about the jib sail I found that the traveller needs a hook for the sail. I amended one made of an eye pin.

The sail was made in a similar way like the topmast staysail. It was bent to the jib stay and furled. Despite the by 40% reduced surface the furled sail still made quite a large packet. But the sail is quite large and I hope the proportions are correct.

During the photo session I found that I forgot the sprit topsail yard lifts and installed them. Now just a few braces remain to be installed and the cleaning up of the forecastle cannot longer be postponed.

By the way - during all that work on those sails I had to tighten several already installed lines and was glad that most of that installation was provisional only.

post-504-0-07270800-1419868738_thumb.jpg

The new hook on the traveller is not yet painted

post-504-0-61243700-1419868738_thumb.jpg

Jib is finished

post-504-0-33340400-1419868739_thumb.jpg

The jib is set

post-504-0-77369000-1419868752_thumb.jpg

Detail with the traveller

post-504-0-43302000-1419868753_thumb.jpg

The furled jib (and the missing sprit topsail yard lifts)

post-504-0-25123900-1419868754_thumb.jpg

The lifts are installed

Peter,

Jib traveller Arrangement an the furled stay sails look very nice sails, just about ready for command..... "Attention for Setting sprit sails..."

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

That's an interesting detail with the hook on the traveller.  The picture of it in use with the sail makes it understandable, though.  Fascinating to see it all come together.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin

I am astonished myself how some details suddenly can make sense (and therefore have to be added subsequently - much more tediously of course than it would be if you did it right the first time – but who said ship modeling is pure fun?).

(Nevertheless – it is!)

Hi B.E.

As always your generous comments are highly appreciated.

Yes, I even have my own way to make coils with the loose ends of the running rigging. Standard procedure for most modelers seems to be to cut the line near the belaying point and make separate coils to hang them over the belaying pin or knighthead. When I started ship modeling I was not aware of that technique and drudgingly made the coils out of the real end of the line by winding it around the belaying pin and the end of a needle file 3to 5 times. The coils were then fixed with diluted white glue which can be dissolved again with water in an emergency.

Every now and then, when I have to reset a line which I thought was definitely fixed and trimmed, I was glad about the excess length. Without it I would have to completely remount the complete line. Therefore I stick to this technique, cumbersome as it is.

Take care and enjoy a very happy new year, all of you

:champagne-2:

Peter

Excellent!! work on the sails Peter, your build is looking Great!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Frank

Thank you. Of course my Pegasus looks much too clean, but those flying beasts never catch that much barnacles and fouling matter as your ships do. ;)

Cheers

Peter

After cleaning up the forecastle the remaining braces and the missing lines on the gaff and boom of the mizzen were installed. After belaying all those lines – rigging was finished!

There remains still a lot to do: More gun port lids are already installed but there are still two remaining to be made. Also the rails of the main and foretop are not yet there. The safety/emergency steering chains of the rudder must be fixed and the anchors are not yet stowed. Also the hammock netting is still partly missing. And finally the slightly reworked lantern still waits to be mounted.

post-504-0-44434000-1421694374_thumb.jpg

All the lines on the forecastle are belayed

post-504-0-12724400-1421694373_thumb.jpg

The remaining braces and other lines on the quarterdeck are in place

post-504-0-63272100-1421694389_thumb.jpg

The quarterdeck is cleaned up, but the rudder safety chain is not yet finished and the lantern is still missing

post-504-0-13553800-1421694376_thumb.jpg

The colour scheme on the foremost gun port lid follows the colour on the fuselage

post-504-0-47760000-1421694390_thumb.jpg

The rail of the mizzen top is in place

post-504-0-86637800-1421694387_thumb.jpg

The anchors are still missing but she already looks quite good

Coming along beautifully Flyer, love the sails.  The spanker came out very nice.  

I remember making the jib traveler on my Badger.  A very small detail that most wouldn't notice, but was a lot of fun to make.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Bravo, Peter, that's a huge accomplishment!  :cheers:

But I didn't know that a ship had a "fuselage" -- maybe the winged horse transforms the hull?

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Martin

Uups! Either it’s ‘déformation professionnelle’ or you are right.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by flyer

Great looking Swan Class Peter,

Trust the end of this building yourney is already in sight, in all a wonderful building documentation and Inspiration for others

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi B.E. and Nils

Thank you. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yes the end is near(!) but fortunately the next project is already waiting on the shelf. I did think of the Titanic as a change from all that knotting and splicing but after a comment of the admiralty about how plain such a steamer looks without any rigging (I took this as a hidden compliment for my rigging skills) I switched back to my idea of an improved Pickle.

Cheers

Peter

The rudder chains are in place. I used a simple arrangement which is depicted in W. Zu Mondfelds book as fitting for the period.

The lantern was fixed with 2 additional diagonal struts in a way which I found in a book about HMS Pandora.

I was thinking to rework the rather slim posts for the swivel guns into an octagonal shape but decided against it (out of sheer laziness). Instead I strengthened the tops with iron bands made of cartridge paper.

post-504-0-30074900-1421924822_thumb.jpg

Rudder chains in place

post-504-0-75508600-1421924824_thumb.jpg

Lantern added

post-504-0-76086300-1421924823_thumb.jpg

The tops of the swivel gun posts are strengthened with ‘iron’ bands

beautiful Detail Peter,

very nice quarter aft shot, all fits great into your Color scheme

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lovely, simply lovely, Peter.  Wonderful details, and tidy craftsmanship.

I'm curious about the rudder chain configuration -- who is Herr Zu Mondfelds, and what's his book?

Cheers,

Martin

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Nils

Thank you. I have to do my very best in order not to lapse too much behind the standard you are setting. :)

Hi Martin

Thank you.

Wolfram zu Mondfeld is THE German authority on ship modeling.

His book Historische Schiffsmodelle is one of my main reverences. There exists also an English version Historic Ship Models. It is still available in bookshops.

Cheers

Peter

Thank you Timmo

I look forward to see your fantastic Granado setting some sails!