HMS Pegasus by flyer - FINISHED - Victory Models

Beautiful work on the capstan, shrouds and ratlines, Peter :)  It's always a great feeling to finally finish doing the ratlines B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Aldo

Thank you.

Yes, I’m looking forward to that great feeling (I’m not yet there by about 30%) but…

…afterwards waits the dreaded sail making which is even more cumbersome with the stitching on of the bolt rope by hand.

But I forgot – I’m doing this by my own free will!  Aren’t we jolly masochists, altogether? :blink::wacko::)

Cheers

Peter

Hehehe, just remember Andy's motto: "ship building is fun.... shipbuilding is fun" :D

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Well Aldo...

While working on the ratlines of the main topmast I realized that I forgot the jeer blocks for the main yard. Fixing them after the topmast shrouds required something like a minimal invasive operation. And…

...promptly I broke off the top of the completely rigged mizzen topmast. After some censured expressions (no fun) I fixed it with epoxy glue and a 0.5mm brass wire in the center of the mast. It’s hardly visible (except for a very slight bend) and I hope it will hold.

post-504-0-63719900-1369234071_thumb.jpg

Lashings for the starboard jeer block

post-504-0-21918400-1369234072_thumb.jpg

Both jeer blocks in place

Excellent work Peter.... looks just great!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Pleased to know you've fixed the mizzen top mast successfully Peter, it should be pretty strong once all the standing rigging is in place. Your top mast looks magnificent Sir, excellent detail work :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Frank

Thank you. I’m still waiting for some barnacles to grow on Pegasus but perhaps its too dry. ;)

Cheers

Peter

Hi Aldo

Well, thank you – but that topmast looks a bit ‘minty’ and I’m not yet sure if it has to be replaced anyway after all…

Cheers

Peter

Edited by flyer

Nice shots of the masthead Peter, looks very business like with the jeer strops, shrouds and stay collars all in place.

The use of a long tackle block in a span for the lifts is indicated by Steel,(1794) and is shown by Lees as being applicable between 1719 and 1806, but then somewhat confusingly goes on to say that from about 1760 the block was seized to an eyebolt in the cap rather than being fitted with a span. this seems to be the system favoured by Antscherl who shows a single block hooked to an eyebolt beneath the forward end of the cap.

I will also be going with a Long tackle block if only because they are a more interesting feature. :)

Sorry about the mizen mishap, I hope the jury rig holds, not too much stress on the topmast.

Cheers,

B.E.

Hi Andy

Quite well hidden, ain’t it?

Hi B.E.

Thanks.

Yes, James Lees gives the same information about the lift, but, as you, I like it better that way. (I pretend to have had a rather old fashioned bosun when fitting out Pegasus.)

And yes, I still have hope although it’s rather difficult to continue rigging work with crossed fingers. :unsure:

Cheers

Peter

Nice work Peter! I've been following silently for quite some time now and I thought I should let you know...  :) I was also wondering where you got those nice looking figurines of sailors, they do add life to the model.

I have my fingers crossed for your topmast...

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Bonjour Adeline

Merci.

I got the crew figures (25mm height) via       http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati_crew.html

They come in cast metal in the raw and you have to paint them.

Cheers

Peter

Merci Peter !

I think some hobby shop lurking in will be in order this weekend...

Cheers,

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

The main topmast is now fully rigged. Once again the principle of starting the standing rigging low and aft (at the mizzen) and working forward starting then again aft with the mizzen top mast proves its worth. That way you have access to the tops where you have to rig up stays and preventers.

post-504-0-18387500-1370260667_thumb.jpg

Last work on the backstays

post-504-0-47410300-1370260685_thumb.jpg

Foretop with stay and preventer

post-504-0-78718900-1370260697_thumb.jpg

Finishing work on the foot of the preventer stay

post-504-0-88464200-1370260667_thumb.jpg

Main topmast

post-504-0-86925300-1370260891_thumb.jpg

:huh::(:angry: *@*!!#§* :o :mellow:

While working on the main top mast the question about the stability of the mizzen topmast has been answered definitely. Not the way I hoped. First I thought about repairing the mast by ‘fishing’ it but the remaining length below the top was insufficient (this would have been an interesting project). Then while dismantling the mast I asked myself if I could save the cap and replace only the part above it mortising it with the lower part within the cap. But I thought this not stable enough and the cap was broken apart to be able to take out the lower topmast (the whole mast assembly was fixed with epoxy glue and cannot be dissolved without destruction). The remaining question now is if I should also replace the mizzen top according B.E. research with a larger one. This would be a lot of work and I will have time to think about it while making the new topmast.

Oh, I don’t believe in flying horses…

Oh boy, so sorry to see that.  That's been a big fear of mine with my build, particularly as I've already had my clothing catch it a few times - not to mention, going to the bathroom and coming back to find my cat batting the bowspirit  :angry:  Good luck on the repair.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike

Thank you for your sympathy.

Actually the mast broke twice. First at the point where the hole for the tie for the upper yard  was – unfortunately I drilled it into the smallest part of the mast and it was perhaps a little too large.

The second time it broke again after trying to repair it with epoxy glue and a stabilizing brass wire in the center (centre?) of the mast.

Fortunately our cat is about a hundred years old, only sleeps and eats and walks slowly from and to the respective places – little feline danger for my ships.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Spy

Sure I’m interested and very much so. And I dare say quite a few more as well.

post-504-0-63960500-1370363323.jpg

On Granado I tried the fully furled version shown here on the lower yards because that way I felt justified to leave off much of the smaller rope work like leech lines, bunt lines or reef tackles. For that kind of furling on those upper yards you’ll need at least also the buntlines.

The sail bulge on my yards is really still too large. I did use the finest cotton available but the full sail area. Next time I will try to reduce it by one third and adapt the shape of the sail accordingly.

Take care

Peter

That happened to my foretop mast also. I just cut it off at the cap and made a whole new pc. from the cap up , then I drilled the cap and pinned the new top in. So far so good still holding up . Hope your solution is just as easy. :)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I feel your pain Peter, hang in there mate and all will come good.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Oh my!  Peter, I just popped in and saw what we all fear will happen.  You've done some excellent work, and so that snap has to hurt.  But you'll definitely work out something that is at least as good.

Best,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi Frank

Yes I was thinking about your solution as well but after the first failed repair I opted for the hard way and am making a whole new topmast. I’m glad you did more stable work on your fore mast.

Hi Mobbsie

Thank you, I’m hanging in but still think it was rather superfluous of Mr. Murphy to prove his law once again.

Hi Martin

Well, now I’ve done it, I hope Mr. Murphy will be satisfied and we all will now have some peace from him for some time.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Spy

Thank you for the great pictures and for making me aware of a special place. The existence of that harbor and the fleet of sailing ships was news to me. Now there is a new location on my to-visit-list.

Cheers

Peter

How's the repair coming along Peter, I trust your well on the way to sorting it, with all the cuts, blood and other ailments being suffered lately old Murphy's been having a field day.

He's got a lot to answer for.

Be good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hi Mobbsie

Slowly but steady. Pictures will follow. And that Mr. Murphy...a British subject, isn't he? Tut-tut!

Hi B.E.

Thanks.

Cheers

Peter