IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hi Gals and Guys

My name is Jolene but my friends call me Jo.

I recently joined this wonderful forum and have received wonderful advice from some of the members.

I have been looking round on people's logs and I am amazed at the very high standard of workmanship, I take my hat off to you all.

So it is time to dip my toes in the icy waters of wooden model ship building.

So as this is my first wooden ship build I am asking for you all not to be hard on me with your comments, as I am willing to learn and take advice.

My first build will be the IL Leudo.

But I am still waiting for the postman to deliver my little ship to my door that I will be waiting behind so I can grab it out of his hands.

Jo.

429024542_LEUDOSHIP.JPG.1230fae3217377201d58cc13d0ce7030.JPG

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Welcome !!! We all started off at one time or another on these crazy little things called models. I'm pretty new at this myself having completed my 1st wooden build. As for comments from members in this site, I have only come across support, helpful tips, information, suggestions and constructive critiques. I think you have joined a great group of talented and knowledgeable members. Congratulations on your 1st ship and here's to good adventures along your way. :cheers:

Edited by Fright

Robert O

What Robert said is spot on Jo.   We all started off as beginners and before the Internet, we were on our own. MSW does believe in mentorship... we all help each other.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good luck with your first wooden ship Jo! I’m sure you manage this just fine and the guys and galls of this forum has your back. 😉

I’ll hope she (the ship) is a pleasure to build

Peter

Well Jo, same as me joined this forum and must say found a lot that could be a help for building mine. I'm not saying that I'm a beginner but yes, this will be my first "BIG" building so to speak in wood.

Also mine is somewhere in the pipeline and should come this week. It is a complete wooden kit and I will be supriced how it looks like.

Then again, reading here and looked at the 2 others that already did make it but not completed the whole, at least I can see how it will be just the hull and other parts.

So yes, it will be reorganising my brain as did those buildings before and the biggest one I built (20 years ago) was from Billing boats the Zwarte Zee.

We will look into your building progress and also you can see mine , guess we will be finished nearly same time and then we are the proud owners of some lovely model ships. 

Not sure if yours is RC but could be nice if it was also with illuminated lights etc.

Anyway good luck when the postman will deliver yours, will follow your goal to built it and if we can help just let us know.

Success for now.

11 hours ago, peveka said:

Hi Jo

That looks like a very pretty boat! Are you going to paint it?

Cheers

Pieter

Hello Pieter

I am not sure at the moment, I think just below the water line.

The video I downloaded has the deck painted RED I wish to keep it clear.

I wish to keep most of the wood clear at this time, but will see when she arrives.

Again thank you all for your support.

Wish the postman will arrive 😕.

Jo.

Current Build:

22 minutes ago, peveka said:

Beware when he rings twice ... ;o) 

Ha Ha may be I should ask him in for a drink or two 🥂.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello Gals and guys.

Happy, happy day today my little ship has sailed into port, yippee, yippeeeeeeeeee.

Now the postman will be invited in for more than one drink when he comes :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic 🥂 🥂 🥂.

Jo.

Current Build:

On 3/4/2019 at 9:01 PM, SHIPSCAT said:

My first build will be the IL Leudo.

Good luck, it looks like a good one to start out with.  What company sells your kit?  Hopefully it will come with a decent set of drawings and instructions.  Some don't, but don't worry too much as MSW members are here to help out.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

2 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Good luck, it looks like a good one to start out with.  What company sells your kit?  Hopefully it will come with a decent set of drawings and instructions.  Some don't, but don't worry too much as MSW members are here to help out.

Hello BETAQDAVE

My little ship as far as I know is coming from Australia, my partner ordered it, yes I know I said I ordered it but when you get excited about thing I tend to leave words out 😋.

The tracking post has it coming from Sydney.

More drinking as my little ship is with the couriers 🥂 🥂 and one for the men 🍺 .

Jo.

Current Build:

On 3/5/2019 at 10:08 PM, Seamanpeter said:

Not sure if yours is RC but could be nice if it was also with illuminated lights etc.

Hello seamanpeter.

Sorry don't know what RC is, you are talking to a new model builder here I know that sounds dumb (and I am not a blond ha ha).

As for lights, now you are pulling my leg :o.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo, no problem but RC means Radio Controlled.

So with a remote control, the ship in the water and having all electronic built inside you then control the vessel by this control unit and by means of batteries connected to electric motors you can sail the ship.

Lights are lights inside your building, you have a little deck house there and could easily built in 1 or 2 small led light and of course a battery + switch on/off.

But that is all up to you, if you will follow me you can see there how I will do it with my building (when the postman it will deliver).

As of now I only have the slip-way what is when you built a ship like mine I rather use a slip-way to built the hull and frames inside as it makes sure they are in line and correct distance from each other.

Beside you have a strait keel line and if not strait you will see it afterwards and cannot correct it anymore unless you break off some vital parts and rebuilt.

I used it before and happy with it but will show next week when my first data comes into force so to speak.

Ok have fun there and if you need some info don't hesitate to drop a line.

have a great evening.

Peter 

Jo

I saw you posted on Bindi's build log which has been inactive for may months.

Try sending a PM (Private message) as her profile seems to still be open.

Click on her picture, and it should take you to her profile, and then look for the "message" box and send your note.

Maybe it'll find it's way to an inbox she monitors......

Good Luck with your build

Richard

Hi Sam

Yes some very nice and talented people on this forum.

I have lots to learn and I am sure I will mess up on the icy waters of model building.

Jo.

Current Build:

37 minutes ago, src said:

As far as your build you have come to the right place, there are some amazing builders here, men and women alike.

Not to slight anyone here as to their abilities, (They are all pretty much better than I am) but one of the best builders on the forum is a woman named Doris. Her material of choice is card and sculpting clay but she produces true works of art. She also likes to put lights in her models.

I'm not familiar with the Leudo but I'm Looking forward to your build.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Gidday Jo.

I gather from your posts that you are quite excited and awaiting delivery of your Il Leudo.

I would just like to give you some advice which I have learnt the hard way.

Check the contents against the parts list, I check twice as I don't trust myself.

Familiarise yourself with the plans, instructions and kit contents, this way you will get an idea of assembly and where things "belong".

Dry fit the parts before gluing anything. It is easier to modify parts as needed unglued.

I am not the most skilled builder and am offering some basic steps I employ based on my experiences.

Wishing you all the best with your build.

Mark.

Edited by pontiachedmark
move a word for continuity

Hello everyone.

Wow I cannot hold myself back for telling you that the postman arrived today (was not expecting post on a Saturday) with my little IL Leudo yippeeeeeeee  :champagne:.

Will post some photos when I have gone through the parts list to see if they are all in the box like Mark asked me to do.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello shipmates (can I say that).

As promised the unveiling of my little IL Leudo.

I am sorry about the photos as I was given the camera by a dear friend the other day all I had to do was buy 4 batteries for it, oh and she advised me to download a program for storing my photos.

Ok I said I was dipping my toes in icy waters of model ship building, but OMG I think I am getting cold feet ha-ha.

Looks like the best thing to do is have a good read then read again and again and again.

Jo.

861313869_ILLEUDOBOX_0003.thumb.jpg.caf5bb8f440d5af9e38181c36da9ca8d.jpg1826064635_ILLEUDOBOX_0004.thumb.jpg.377eeb9e116a6a41eb1996f730535206.jpg1913175947_ILLEUDOBOX_0009.thumb.jpg.b865efc88a60da043fca5c8e42e6b2dd.jpg1163653888_ILLEUDOBOX_0012.thumb.jpg.4cccb23acc71ce63fbe54312b3ca1621.jpg

Edited by SHIPSCAT

Current Build:

1 hour ago, SHIPSCAT said:

but OMG I think I am getting cold feet ha-ha

This is not at all an uncommon reaction to first-ever unboxings.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Gidday Jo.

Opening any kit can be daunting.

Once you get your head around all these pieces do go together to make the picture on the box you'll be O.K.

Please ask as many questions as you need to. There are no stupid questions, sometimes they are just irrelevant.

(Please forgive my weak attempt at humour).

A good idea to read and reread the destructions and familiarize yourself with plans.

Wishing you all the best with your build.

Mark.

It will be a ship in no time at all...when you sorted out the bulkheads and keelplate, before you know it the frame of the vessel stands. Some sanding is needed on the bulkheads so they can accept the planks of the hull. Then the deck will be placed...some paint on the hull. Mast and rigging and she is finished.👌🏻

nothing to it really...you’ll be a master in no time at all madame! 😉

so, one step at the time and keep asking questions no matter what, it’s a good way to learn new things afterall. 

Peter