HMS Winchelsea by scrubbyj427 - 1:48

Thanks for the comments and likes guys, I was about to abandon the whole gun rigging process but finally getting one finished the way I wanted it, inspired to me keep going...at the expense of setting back chapter 7 for a very long time. Lol. I’m going to get started on another one soon, hopefully it will get easier. 

Glenn, I think I understand what you are saying, I’ve seen both examples online. I’ll post a photo of my next one when I start. Would it just be crossed and that’s it? No seizing or smaller line to at all to keep the loop crossed? Would that be standard on a 12pdr?

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

25 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Would it just be crossed and that’s it?

I’m certainly no expert and I’m sure however you want to do it will turnout great.  From a model perspective I doubt just crossing it would stay in place, either a small seizing or a dab of CA.  Hopefully people smarter than me might have a suggestion. I’d not seen your way before now, which doesn’t mean anything I see something new on this forum all the time. 

I admire your goal to rig them all, it will look great.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

34 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Hopefully people smarter than me might have a suggestion. I’d not seen your way before now, which doesn’t mean anything I see something new on this forum all the time. 

So I’m hoping someone smarter than me chimes in as well! Haha.

so after examining a few logs I came up With that method, I mostly borrowed from Fred’s log @jfhealey and From what I could see that is similar to how he did his breech lines.

maybe Fred will chime in with some advice?

JJ

19030413-87B1-4BFC-AF5F-407DC3956E3E.png

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

As to the breech lines: JJ managed to get 5 or 6 windings beneath the knobbly bit at the back of the barrel (I'm sure I know the  name but I'm having a senior moment about it at the moment). I'm seriously impressed with that.  I got 1  - and that with a needle and thread. There is much less room there than appears to be the case from JJ's pictures. I shall try harder next time!

My only tip, if you are going to rig your guns, is to rig the  bolts to the gun rather than the bulkhead. Fixing the rigged bolt into a pre drilled hole in the bulkhead is the work of a moment. Rigging the breeching rope (or the tackle) to an already fixed in bolt is a nightmare. I know this from experience.

As to the tackle: I'm sure coiled down tackle is authentic. But was it, I wonder, Sunday best for the Captain's inspection? I can't believe (not that I know a thing about it) that ropes were coiled down like that everyday. On a model I guess it's a matter of  what you (unless you are a stickler for historical accuracy) like the look of. "Frapping", by a short head, just looks tidier to me. But lots of you have left your guns un-rigged as of course did Chuck - and you can't really argue with that can you?

Other than that I know I have a lot of work to do on my knots and splicing. But for a first go at rigging guns I'm pretty satisfied.

All the best everyone.

Fred

Are your ropes crossed and then seized?

I’m sooo far from doing guns….

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I think Chuck described frapping in an earlier post as a method of securing the lines on museum ships so folks don’t trip over the lines while walking the gun decks.

as far as the breech lines being cross looped or seized as I have shown, I’m still unsure, which is fine as I have to wait for a bunch of hooks to show up before I continue with hun work. Fred...where did you come up with your breech configuration? 

Glenn, you’ll be there before you know it, you’ll succumb to the desire to rig them. Lol!

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Glenn, you’ll be there before you know it, you’ll succumb to the desire to rig them

Check with me in a about a year 😄

Regards,

Glenn

On 3/16/2022 at 9:04 AM, Guillermo Eduardo Madico said:

Hello JJ,

Great job!  I think you got those at the correct scale. Would you mind sharing the block and rope sizes you used?

G  

Guillermo @Guillermo Eduardo Madico

Per Chucks recommendations, this should get you everything you need to rig your guns.

i also just ordered a range of photo etched hooks from crafty sailor (3,3.5 and 4mm), I will use whatever fits the best.

https://craftysailor.com/collections/fittings/products/hooks?variant=32532830486616

JJ

image.jpg

I hope those hooks work out. I’m all for making our own hooks but the ones needed for cannon rigging would just look out of scale for anything we could practically make. I will vicariously enjoy the rigging watching yours develop 😊.

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

I hope those hooks work out. I’m all for making our own hooks but the ones needed for cannon rigging would just look out of scale for anything we could practically make. I will vicariously enjoy the rigging watching yours develop 😊.

Judging by how your guns turned out on cheerful, these will definitely work out. My poor attempt at them can’t even compare to these. Once they are blackened and seized to a block, they will be very convincing. 🤞

56 minutes ago, Guillermo Eduardo Madico said:

Thank you JJ,

Much appreciated,

G

Looking forward to seeing your guns G, you’re Winnie is looking great!

6 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

JJ, I used the Craftysailor hooks on mine and they look great. Don’t remember which size, but just picked the one that looked like the proper scale. 

Your build looks really nice!

Don

Thank you Don, your Winnie is coming along very nice as well. To me it looks like you used the 3.5 or 4mm ones, they do look really nice! Looking forward to their arrival. 

• 2 weeks later...

Two down...22 left to go! The crafty sailor 4mm photoetch hooks were a success so far, except I rigged one tackle backward... won’t make that mistake again. I’m going to try another method to fasten the hook to the block, I think I may have gotten it to close. Other than that, I’m pleased with the results. I’m getting better as I go but still seldom find time to work on my winnie, maybe I’ll schedule a vacation somewhere and pack the model up and go! 

FE2DCFFA-BA19-4FF7-996A-D8F0D865578F.jpeg

241D288F-2B44-4FC4-8700-0994E7971546.jpeg

3B25F226-869D-4FA3-8A8E-2318A921CF7B.jpeg

Building this model as we know requires patience and perseverance. Rigging all the cannon doubles that requirement, well done. Not to set you back, but it’s not 22 more it’s 30 including the eight on the QD 😊

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Its 24 on the gun deck and 8 on the qdeck......total of 32.   But then there are ten swivels yet to come.

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Building this model as we know requires patience and perseverance. Rigging all the cannon doubles that requirement, well done. Not to set you back, but it’s not 22 more it’s 30 including the eight on the QD 😊

Way to take away my steam lol! Well at least I get to skip the two in the back and the two way up front!

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Its 24 on the gun deck and 8 on the qdeck......total of 32.   But then there are ten swivels yet to come.

🤦‍♂️Lol I’m trying to trick myself with the numbers! One deck at a time.

15 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

Beautifully done, a tutorial on how to rig these properly!

Don

8 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

Very beautiful done and a tutorial howto rig them.
Frank.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it. I’m not sure, but were you asking for a tutorial on how I did the guns? Or just stating that I already did it?

I understand I’m about one millionth done with planking 

Regards,

Glenn

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I understand I’m about one millionth done with planking 

Your planking looks soo good though! I don’t want to distract you from that! It will come

together before you know it. This build is just a series of milestones.

6 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

My comment was that you’re showing us how it should be done. I’ve only rigged a couple and may go back and redo them based on how good yours look - thanks!

Don

Thank you Don!

I definitely studied your guns as an example to follow  prior to starting mine.

• 2 weeks later...

And then there was six of them.... 30 something more to go!!

as soon as I get six completed on the port side I plan to take a gun break and start my long awaited chapter 7 and also pick up and finish my lighting project, now that I can hang the individual lanterns.

67187B19-1305-47F7-8683-93290DEC113F.jpeg

4A95E58C-2D4F-48C6-AFCD-28AC8C0A26F0.jpeg

E6EA88CA-1129-4DCD-A43A-85431D1184C7.jpeg

Those look really good, and I know represent a whole lot of work. 

Regards,

Glenn