HMS Winchelsea by scrubbyj427 - 1:48

Wonderful workmanship JJ. Looking forward to you finishing her up. You are also heading fast to the finish!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The care you take with every detail is evident in the overall photos. The appearance of perfection only occurs if every sub-assembly meets very high standards. You're building a beautiful model!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 4/3/2023 at 12:07 PM, Matt D said:

Beautiful work, JJ!  Your photos are really well done, too.  The close ups really show off the detail of your work.  Your wheel and binnacle look so good!  I also really like the mating of the cap rails to the fancy moldings in the bottom photo of your post.     

Thank you Matt, I’ve tried to step up my photo game lately. Honestly I’m still using my crappy iphone but I’ve employed a nice halogen light that I follow my camera around with. It makes nice warm light as well as a great surface to fry eggs on.

On 4/3/2023 at 12:30 PM, jfhealey said:

I entirely agree with Matt. Super work.

Fred

thank you Fred. I’m still eagerly awaiting the resurrection of your Winnie build.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

On 4/3/2023 at 12:33 PM, rlb said:

Looking great, JJ!

Ron

Thank you Ron. Appreciate it

22 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Wonderful workmanship JJ. Looking forward to you finishing her up. You are also heading fast to the finish!

Thank you Rusty. I think we both started about the same time. It’s been quite the journey and a very rewarding build. Looking forward to seeing you cross the finish line soon.

21 hours ago, dvm27 said:

The care you take with every detail is evident in the overall photos. The appearance of perfection only occurs if every sub-assembly meets very high standards. You're building a beautiful model!

Thank you Greg, that really means a lot coming from you, your work is very inspiring.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

Small update:

Well today I hit a major milestone on my Winnie, after almost two years (one month shy) I’ve finally completed chapter 6! What a journey! Lol. I feel better about the remaining 8 6pdrs now. 

003E69CA-00B1-4EE0-8B53-664D0A8F8DBC.jpeg

ABA29370-D7CC-4FC9-8432-5BAA73972ACD.jpeg

AE966827-C2A8-4EF8-901E-6E6991C85F35.jpeg

Wow! You’re clicking them off just like Matt. Looks fantastic 😎.

Edited by James G

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

That’s no small feat, JJ!  Especially since you rigged them all.  They look perfect!  Also, the cherry was an excellent choice.  Seeing yours, I wish I had done that, too.

Edited by Matt D

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

18 hours ago, Chuck said:

That looks awesome.   Well done

Thank you Chuck! I forgot to ask you what blocks I need to rig my 6pdr guns🤦‍♂️ 1/8”

16 hours ago, James G said:

Wow! You’re clicking them off just like Matt. Looks fantastic 😎.

Thank you Jim, I have had nothing but model boat free time this season!

15 hours ago, Matt D said:

That’s no small feat, JJ!  Especially since you rigged them all.  They look perfect!  Also, the cherry was an excellent choice.  Seeing yours, I wish I had done that, too.

Thank you Matt, rigging them was definitely no small task. I think the cherry does look good even though not correct for a dockyard model. I have to say though, I could have gone either way, bare AYC or painted, I thought they all look great. I think the bare AYC shows the most details though. 

I really like the cherry, I came very close to doing the same thing. Having rigged just 12 carronades on Cheerful I know the time I spent doing it. You’ve done 28 and they all look exactly the same, no small feat! Very precise, very nice. Your lighting makes for fun and interesting photos. Such a great looking model, congratulations on chapter 6 and of course the work you’ve done well beyond that. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I really like the cherry, I came very close to doing the same thing. Having rigged just 12 carronades on Cheerful I know the time I spent doing it. You’ve done 28 and they all look exactly the same, no small feat! Very precise, very nice. Your lighting makes for fun and interesting photos. Such a great looking model, congratulations on chapter 6 and of course the work you’ve done well beyond that. 

Thank you Glenn, I appreciate it. I haven’t decided if I’m going to rig guns again on my next model, there’s a lot more but it would look impressive. I’m leaning towards red or AYC. Who knows.

9 hours ago, westwood said:

beautiful and inspiring, congratulations,
but the cannon rigging...wow, I'm not even going to try to imitate that.

Thank you Dusan. 

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 11 completed. This will be my last update for a few weeks as I’m packing up shop, crating the model and Winnie and I will be sailing back to Florida then we will be taking a road trip across country where I will finally complete chapter 12… and the remaining guns.

Chapter 11 went pretty well, the channels and associated parts went together quite well and much easier than I expected. I messed up on the color configuration on the channels but I can live with it. The chainplates and deadeyes also went pretty smooth, I think I spent more time tumbling and finishing the deadeyes than I did installing them. 

Thanks for stopping by.

A833E89C-B1B7-423C-A820-2CC712A77E9C.jpeg

25F763DF-25FB-426E-A974-988A1DFDCF76.jpeg

0288B4B5-6D56-424A-934D-E4DF475A8D6E.jpeg

6C6193B6-4AFE-4EDF-9C8D-27EB20409F15.jpeg

DCA8D52A-0277-4E9D-9FD2-4543061E956F.jpeg

51A1908F-3C16-4914-AEA5-6C8169CB0ED7.jpeg

4 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

I messed up on the color configuration on the channels but I can live with it.

I don't think you messed up at all. They add a really nice look! Well done on chapter 11. 

Good luck on your sailing and road trip. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Really nice work, it all looks great.  If you reversed the channel configuration I’d say it was a good call, it looks great. 

Enjoy your trip, sounds like a big adventure is in store.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Looks so great to me, JJ! If you hadn’t said a mistake had been made I’d certainly never have noticed. Safe travels.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

On 4/27/2023 at 8:39 PM, Rustyj said:

I don't think you messed up at all. They add a really nice look! Well done on chapter 11. 

Good luck on your sailing and road trip. 

Thank you Rusty, I imagine by the next time i post an update you will have already completed your Winnie. Looking forward to it.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:03 PM, glbarlow said:

Really nice work, it all looks great.  If you reversed the channel configuration I’d say it was a good call, it looks great. 

Enjoy your trip, sounds like a big adventure is in store.

Thank you Glenn. Much appreciated.

so I didn’t reverse the configuration, prior to me laminating the channels,

i had painted them black but what I failed to realize/ pay attention to is that the edges should have remained bright. I was slightly discouraged that I had let this slip through the cracks, it’s a minor detail that only us Winnie builders will notice but still I wish I had paid better attention. 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:16 PM, Steve20 said:

What you've done looks really good. Your work is oustanding.

Thank you Steve, you are off to a great start on your Winnie, I look forward to seeing your Winnie come together.

On 4/28/2023 at 4:52 AM, James G said:

Looks so great to me, JJ! If you hadn’t said a mistake had been made I’d certainly never have noticed. Safe travels.

Thank you Jim, much appreciated. 

18 hours ago, jfhealey said:

Super build JJ. I can't see what the colour issue is with the channels. they certainly look the part to me. Good luck with your road/sea trip. I hope you and Winnie make it unscathed!

Fred 

Thank you Fred! I hope that next time I check in, I will be seeing updates on your Winnie build.

On 4/27/2023 at 9:49 PM, Matt D said:

She looks fantastic, JJ!  I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about the channel color configuration.  What would you have done differently?

Thanks Matt, yes I messed up on the edge colors, they shouldn’t have remained bright. I can live with it though. 

3 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

I messed up on the edge colors, they shouldn’t have remained bright. I can live with it though. 

I think that would have been really hard to accomplish.  You would have to either really carefully sand the edge, or really carefully not paint it.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 9:24 AM, Matt D said:

I think that would have been really hard to accomplish.  You would have to either really carefully sand the edge, or really carefully not paint it.

Hi Matt,
I sprayed the thin pieces of the Channels before laminating them, essentially I would have just had to sand more “char” off to achieve the correct look. By the time I realized what I did, they were already assembled.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:38 AM, FrankWouts said:

Beautiful and gorgious work to admire JJ, scrolling back again and again to admire the warm tones, clean lines and crisp details!

Frank.

Thank you Frank.

• 3 months later...

While I await a new control board for my laser I thought I’d make some progress on my Winnie, I started chapter 12 and the headrails, spent a decent amount of time working on the stbd side fit, I may have removed a little too much so thank god for the bolster to cover up all my potential sins. The headrails are quite complex but yield great results if done properly. I’ll be fitting the port one tomorrow and then checking for symmetry. I’ve officially hit multiple builds in progress status.

2D4C6064-92E8-4FB7-A5B7-2DC05CC8884B.jpeg

2C6498C7-7E03-4EC6-847C-F8508E45A8F1.jpeg

9630B316-C085-4F3F-BD26-E0670BB0F64F.jpeg

Looking good and great to see you back at it. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nice to see you back on Winnie, it’s a good thing you point out your errors otherwise we’d never ever see them😂😊Very nice work as always. 

Regards,

Glenn

19 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Looking good and great to see you back at it. :) 

Thanks Rusty, I doubt I’ll get too much done on this trip, but it’s nice to be working on her again. Also great motivation as I cut parts for my Portland.

16 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Nice to see you back on Winnie, it’s a good thing you point out your errors otherwise we’d never ever see them😂😊Very nice work as always. 

Thanks Glenn, I blame it on my terrible lighting lol. I actually went back and added a small piece of filler wood on the back side and filed it down, since those three faces will be black, it will never be seen! It’s almost cheating.