HMS Winchelsea by scrubbyj427 - 1:48

And finally 12! Easter brought the gift of time to rig guns! So now I will begin chapter 7 and then continue with the rest of the guns when I finish. Looking forward to getting some beams in place and completing my lantern project.

JJ

12F67A88-C145-40AC-8335-9731B788F803.jpeg

DE3314C8-5916-4285-A3D5-E1FF88429712.jpeg

BE936EDA-E2AB-4AC0-B0AE-0C4C3DCF814F.jpeg

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

That’s a really nice job of rigging so many guns, well done!  The natural cherry is a nice touch.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Guys. So far I’m happy with the results.
Once you get in a rhythm with them, they aren’t bad. The next time around I need to make 12 carriages and rig them all, so much larger task. I had made these carriages months ago.  

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I snuck some time in to work on my Winnie the last few days, pulled a few late nights but I finally made some headway on chapter 7. I still Need to fine tune the aft deck beam and permanently set my lantern wiring before I can complete the transom. All the beams went together relatively easily, just lots of test fitting. I added some fluted columns to the transom frames, I’ve seen this before on some models and I’ve always liked it but I mainly did it to cover up my lantern wire run up the inner stbd frame and it worked out well. I stole Bens idea and used the laser etched mouldings that I had leftover for the tops and  bottoms of the columns....still wish I did that on the outside... oh well.

It was really fun to get back to work on Winnie again, I decided to build most of the stove for fun while I waited for beams to dry. Hopefully I can get some more completed in a couple weeks.

JJ

B28EC3BC-DE43-4134-8D4A-826184F7BBB8.jpeg

245FBF2A-67BF-4C49-BA25-F6D7760EBD80.jpeg

32209C68-E6F9-4247-B5F7-A1E149569FC9.jpeg

3D5EBCED-69A8-4A4A-98F0-93FCF9F055A3.jpeg

FAD5F0E5-47F0-4FE7-8F70-7376E38BF80A.jpeg

71FCD55D-C1BD-4040-8D6F-F503F9A03C71.jpeg

Glad to see you back at it. The columns are a great add and a nice touch!

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Glad to see you back at it. The columns are a great add and a nice touch!

I agree with Glenn. Very nice work JJ!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Guys, it’s good to finally cut and glue some wood again. I’ll be back at it in a couple weeks, I’ll finish chapter 7 and move right into guns again.. I’ll probably be lazy and tackle the 6 up front so I can begin chapter 8. I can handle 6 guns without losing my mind lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful work, JJ!  A masterpiece.  

Clear skies and sharp tools,

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

9 hours ago, Gabek said:

Beautiful work, JJ!  A masterpiece.  

Clear skies and sharp tools,

Gabe

Thank you Gabe,

more updates to come, soon.

JJ

• 3 weeks later...

Been slowly plugging away at chapter 7. I’ve got my first set of lamps in, now I can begin working my way forward to complete chapter 7. I’ve been building some fittings, including the pumps and the stove and I started on the forward guns in anticipation of chapter 8. I’ve also got the first bulkhead installed and after I complete a few more sets of lamps I can move on to the next bulkhead. Lots of care has been taken to make the electrical element as discrete as possible,

I have been thinking of how to accomplish this for months and I decided on a simple system of carving a small channel into the underside of the beam and gently running the wire with some pva to secure it. The natural beams will be the hardest, as soon as I hit the red ones I can begin to fill the channel and smooth it out and simply paint it again. Big thank you to Gabe @Gabek for his assistance with the lamp printing, the resin printer captured the 3D model wonderfully. These are very small pieces and require some assembly work as well as an opaque glazing. I’m happy with the results. 
JJ

31FF2968-C451-4719-986F-4AEAF9D8D700.jpeg

3328BD0C-7938-4F3F-B7F5-EBCF7F5C476E.jpeg

46CB6BD3-EFCE-4AAA-AB8C-970AF0C81FC0.jpeg

32AF117B-720B-4C31-A2B9-FCF642E4EECE.jpeg

97F83E8A-CEC7-42A3-9BAC-C6CBF2E5670E.jpeg

A5EE2263-4E50-4E55-BBA7-82698ADDA2C6.jpeg

45EEBE7D-4553-4225-AAF2-28616A361547.jpeg

7CD840A8-6B18-47DC-A183-E35DE5FB5B2A.jpeg

So here’s a few shots in very dim light. I need to start using a real camera, this iPhone just doesn’t capture what it really looks like, they are much warmer and not nearly as bright as the camera shows. Very happy with the LED’s that I went with, this will display very well and lifelike when complete.

A88A75C0-DE48-4200-B25B-025E5AFE89FD.jpeg

A46DBCA6-7357-41C3-ABFF-843D34B2467F.jpeg

Those lamps are amazing.  I’ve not been a fan of LED lighting on models but your authentic lamps are very appealing and give a whole new character to the model and something I’ve not seen before.  It will look great sitting somewhere acting as a warm, soft light accent tone. Well done! 

Regards,

Glenn

Wonderful work on the lights as well as the stove and pumps. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Perfectly done lighting, looks very natural. Might be cool if you were to hollow out an area below the gratings and place a light there so it would provide the illusion of a lower deck.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 8/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, scrubbyj427 said:

I’ve got my first set of lamps in, now I can begin working Big thank you to Gabe @Gabek for his assistance with the lamp printing, the resin printer captured the 3D model wonderfully. These are very small pieces and require some assembly work as well as an opaque glazing. I’m happy with the results. 

Excellent!  I was wondering if those lamps had been delivered!  I'm glad they’re working out for you.  Fabulous work, JJ

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

On 8/8/2022 at 3:25 AM, rafine said:

Beautiful work.The effect of the lighting is spectacular.

Bob

Thank you Bob. Your Winnie is looking very nice, we are all watching as you near completion.

On 8/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, glbarlow said:

Those lamps are amazing.  I’ve not been a fan of LED lighting on models but your authentic lamps are very appealing and give a whole new character to the model and something I’ve not seen before.  It will look great sitting somewhere acting as a warm, soft light accent tone. Well done! 

Thank you Glenn, I’ve always liked the idea of lighting a ship from the inside but I’ve never liked seeing wires or lights that obviously shouldn’t be there. Hopefully this will pay off in the end, if not I just won’t turn them on ever! 

On 8/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, dvm27 said:

Perfectly done lighting, looks very natural. Might be cool if you were to hollow out an area below the gratings and place a light there so it would provide the illusion of a lower deck.

Thank you Greg. So I did install lamps in the companionways to illuminate the steps, once I started the subdecks and other coamings I quickly realized my error and had one of those face to palm moments, I didn’t want to start ripping up wood at that point. The next time around I won’t miss that opportunity!

Very realistic looking lighting! Excellent work. 

Perhaps figure a way to make them spiral gently to the oceans swell😁😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 8/12/2022 at 11:22 AM, Edwardkenway said:

Very realistic looking lighting! Excellent work. 

Perhaps figure a way to make them spiral gently to the oceans swell😁😉

That would be some advanced lighting effects. I think after a bit of grog they may start to spiral on their own! Lol

• 1 month later...

May I second Frank's view of the lamps? I suspect they are  tricky to do in the sense that done well (beautifully executed, in the right place and to scale) they look really good and done badly they look like a plastic dolls house  - and yours look really good as does your build generally. I am sure I am not alone in thinking the standard of Winchelsea builds is remarkable. I hope Chuck is very proud of his achievement and that you are of yours.

all the best

Fred

• 2 months later...

Seasons greetings fellow ship modelers! I have reopened my Winchelsea shipyard and she’s in full operation again. I will hopefully conclude chapter 7 within the week. I plan to begin chapter 8 and 9 soon and finish up those pesky guns that are still remaining.

Thank you again to @Gabek for the wonderful lamps, the design revision is spot on.

1C6729F7-E71D-4536-AE14-8B89E6FB6BBE.jpeg

00BD6ABE-2F48-4560-952A-FDEEDE65E325.jpeg

FA197302-9AF0-4996-8B95-634BF5FB1E58.jpeg

Happy New Year!  Good to see your back in action. Those lamps are just so cool.

Regards,

Glenn