Does the scale on the kit matter to you?

Vane

Ever since I discovered 1:64, I have only bought that size. Easy to work with and i want all of my ships in the exact same scale as far as possible. 

But there seam to be nearly chaos in scales on the kit market so i guess we all think differently. 

Does scale matter to you and why? 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

I now only work in 1:48 mainly due to my age (72) and eyesight, I find the larger size much easier to handle, and you can add  more detail, downside is at this scale you will mostly find smaller type ships and the selection is rather limited

I am currently working on the Lively and have the Halifax on hand for my next build both from the Lumberyard

Ed

Much of the "chaos" in kit scales is a result of the past practice of designing a kit to fit into a particular-sized box. These were referred to as "box scales".

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Scale matters to anyone who cares about how much room the finished model takes up in their home or the cost of the resulting case.

I’m trying for 1/72 scale, for the most part, to make my models match while not being overwhelmingly large.

It’s a good compromise scale between detail and size.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Depending on the size of the vessel, I prefer the scales between 1/8' and 3/16' since these best suit my work area and works best for a buyer if you are planning to sell. In addition, I am not the best at forging my own metal parts, belaying pins, guns, and anchors, and this allows for a greater selection of finding a suitable part with the kit manufactures.

Good question.

Scott

I've now come to the realization that my ambitions of finally completing a ship model now that I'm retired & turned 69, that it should be able to fit somewhere in the house.  Thus it would need to be limited to 30" in length or less.  The scale would then have to adjust to that limit - so I'm more dependent on physical size than scale.  Thus I would guess 3/16 +/- 1/16th.

Perhaps one factor is what tyoe of boats you build. If you are interested in 1line ships from 1700 the scale will be much smaller than on small fishing boats. 

But is somebody else like me and wants to do everything in the same scale? And not mix.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

1/64 fits me perfect. I also want to have the same scale on all ships I build so it is possible to compare them. But if it is a battle ship or something like that then 1:350 is perfect. I think 1/48 and 1/200 just are too big. 

1/48 is for aircrafts:)

Jörgen

Current:  Sherbourne - Caldercraft 1/64

Vasa - DeAgostini 1/65
Finished: Endeavour - Americas Cup J class 1934 - Amati 1/80

Other:    Airplanes and Tanks