Build Log for finished project?

Duanelaker

This question would be for moderators or whoever is in charge...I have about 40 or so pics of blue jackets Grand Banks dory that I completed a few months ago.  It was my first build and it came out respectable (I’m amazed by the talent on this site).  I was curious if it would be ok if I created a build log and posted these pictures to it.  I notice there are no logs for this boat that I could find on the quick index link.  Are build logs reserved for strictly works in progress?  I also have been working on an AL jolly boat that I am almost 60% complete with and a blue jacket revenue cutter that I am about 35% complete with...I’m not sure anyone could learn anything from me except perseverance.  

Given the large number of abandoned logs - at least in the scratch forum - I have been wondering if following the method that my dissertation director attributed to Albert Szent-Györgyi might be a good way to go.  He supposedly completed an experiment but did not publish it right away.  He made a grant proposal based on that finished experiment and used the funds for the next experiment.  Sort of gives a 100% success rate for proposed experiments.

Finish a model,  photo document each step.  Publish it as a log, post serially over a period of time.  The interval determined by how efficient you wish to appear to be.

This sort of like the logs recreated after the 2013 crash., except that they were not posted as a sequence over time.  

This precludes getting outside help as you go, but is that a frequent occurrence anyway?

You could do that now and who could tell the difference?

(sorry for the confused verb tenses.)

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I joined after I had already completed the dory,  however I believe I was nervous in creating a build log for the others I started in fears of adding to the already abandoned logs.  That and there are quite a few AL bounty jolly logs already completed (and very well done).  But as a newbie maybe it’s nice to see someone with less skill do some kits...I have about 10-12 still unopened.  I’m really hoping I stick with this hobby!  

I'd say go right ahead and do a log.  Title using the guidelines and after the last post is made, add the word "Finished" to the title.   We've had others do that also we've had some that started building before they found MSW.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Just an idea, but it would require some work from the moderators. 

Why not simply add the Word "Abandoned" in the title of buildlogs that havent moved for a couple of years? Especially those that are in the early stages. If the builder starts adding photos again it is easy to remove. 

Old buildlogs can definitely be a great source of information even though they are abandoned.  However, I usually search for specific kitmodels and its frustrating when you have go through lots of threads where u see the box and some bulkheads and thats it. 

Another way to "promote" active and really impressive buildlogs and make them more visable would be to have some kind of system where moderators add a goldstar or something to outstanding buildlogs.  I would immediately nominate "HMS Jason" by Beefwellington and "Granado" by RMC. But i know there are many that I have not discovered simply because they get burried in number of threads.

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

I wonder if it would be as easy as changing the font color, red abandoned, black in progress, green finished and blue could be a stand out.  Any idea how often the build log index gets up dated?  Lots of logs abandoned from 2015 even.

I’ve learned if the build log is only one page it’s probably abandoned depending on the year started.

The adandoned ones usually are short and get quickly way back in the flow.  But they bumped now and then by a like or a comment. 

But it would definitely be useful in buildlog section with some kind of system. Outstanding buildlogs deserve to get more visability and they will also inspire us avarage builders to make more efforts 🙂

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

23 hours ago, Vane said:

Just an idea, but it would require some work from the moderators. 

Why not simply add the Word "Abandoned" in the title of buildlogs that havent moved for a couple of years? Especially those that are in the early stages. If the builder starts adding photos again it is easy to remove. 

Old buildlogs can definitely be a great source of information even though they are abandoned.  However, I usually search for specific kitmodels and its frustrating when you have go through lots of threads where u see the box and some bulkheads and thats it. 

Another way to "promote" active and really impressive buildlogs and make them more visable would be to have some kind of system where moderators add a goldstar or something to outstanding buildlogs.  I would immediately nominate "HMS Jason" by Beefwellington and "Granado" by RMC. But i know there are many that I have not discovered simply because they get burried in number of threads.

The catch is, we moderators don't know if they've been abandoned.  We've had builders who have had to stop due to family things and then one, two, three years later come back.  

No gold stars.  We're pretty much non-judgement here as we have builders from super expert to beginners.  

As for searching... the downloadable indexes work well and will tell you which builds are "completed".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Please remember also that the Moderators are all volunteers.  They resolve issues related to bad posting locations, spam, inappropriate behavior by members and removal of outdated postings.  They also do other behind the scenes work that the general membership is unaware of.  To also expect them to constantly sift through build logs, searching for the ones which have not been updated in over a year, is not realistic.  And as Mark said, the Moderators have no way of knowing if a build is abandoned or temporarily on the shelf.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.