HMS Victory by Daliab - FINISHED - Mantua/Panart

Started the HMS Victory the other night and already caught my first mistake with the bulkheads. Bulkheads number 4 and 5 were in each others position. They look very simular with the exception to the very top. Ended up cutting the the false deck plates (no:15 & 16), chiseling the glue join very carefully and as a unit rotated the unit into the proper position. Very lucky! Now re-glue and add some additional bracing under the false deck plates.

20191011_195327.thumb.jpg.d777ffa5281fb9df1591402a475456ab.jpg

For those that are building the Victory, or other Mantua/Panart kits and find the multi-language instructions difficult to follow then go to this site for strictly the english versions that seem to be a little easier to follow.  Not all of the kits are there but maybe yours will be. 

https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/downloads/2-uncategorised/37-english-translations

Edited by Daliab

Planking complete on the lower gun deck, main deck, and poop deck. Officer's cabin walls, steering wheel, and transom have been installed and the first strip of the inter hull plank installed. Now I'm dead in the water waiting for yellow ochre paint to arrive from the U.K. The supplier tells me it could take 1-3 weeks for delivery. If I knew that, I would have ordered it someplace else. Need to paint the upper bulkhead numbers 4-8. May work on grates or some cannons. Model makers that become to idle end in drydock.

20191029_162533.jpg20191029_162543.jpg

Edited by Daliab

Thanks David56.  After looking at your build pictures, I realized I can proceed with about 10 rows of planking below the existing planking I have installed but still will have to wait for the paint to progress further.

David56.... here is my delemia. Can't tell what to adhere planks to on the stern. I cut out a couple of fillers thinking it would help, but they look like they need more carving on to get it right. If I go without the filler like you did, wanted to see how you did it.

20191030_162247.jpg20191030_161727.jpg

Edited by Daliab

Yesterday I laid the first row of planks over the stern on each side of the ship using the fillers to see how they would work out. Today I removed the fillers after taking Wallace's comment to heart cautioning me about having to much of an angle. Good cautionary note Wallace. The fillers were not the correct shape and I would have had to bend the planks 90 degrees to their anchor point on the stern. Not correct. 

Excited to see a build of the Mantua/Sergal in 1/78th scale.  I have the same kit, albeit mine is a tad dated to the one you are building, kit #782.  Mine is not laser cut and most of the work entails hand cutting.  But I am ole school and this is not anything new to me.  I do have Hunt's Practum, think I spelled that right!  And he does address your question about the stern/planking.  His process has you making a elaborately carved filler that requires one to cut out a portion of the stern.  I think following the way Vincenzo Lusci designed, maybe not true too scale is the best way to go w/this kit.  But that is for me and I certainly understand one wanting to do it as correctly as possible.  In my years of building I have come to a firm conclusion, if one builds and is stressed, then it is not a Hobby.  So the days of everything being dead perfect and exact has become days gone bye for me.  I have laid in my bed wondering how to do something to a model that did not add one hour more to my life.  Build for the fun and enjoy.  Too many want to build that ultimate...….never gets finished because they are burned out!  Look forward to more of your build.

Rick

Edited by RickyGene

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Thanks for the encouraging comments RickyGene.  I too have Bob Hunt's practicum on the Victory but was spooked right off the bat with hacking off the bow and the stern and then modifying the bulkheads.  After I email Bob, he said nobody had ever finished building the Victory like his using the practicum.  If I had more years under my belt building wooden plank on frame ships, then maybe I would have cut away.  So I look at the practicum, look at the books, look at other folks builds and go from there.  In addition I have downloaded hundreds of pictures of other people's build to file away for future ideas and; what did they do when they were at this stage?. I was given one piece of cautionary advice from one of the members... if your going to use the practicum, then stay with the practicum all the way.  I'm presently working on the first layer of planking and find the stern/bow challenging but trudging through it at a slow pace.  Attached is a picture of the stern.... not the prettiest of planking jobs but learning with each plank laid.  I know I'll spend hours applying wood filler and sanding the hull smooth as my penance. I'm not into a dead perfect copy of the actual HMS Victory but at this stage of my model shipbuilding, I would like to have a decent looking model when finished that I can say I learned this, and that, on this model.   Please chime in at anytime with suggestions of things I'm doing right and things I'm doing wrong. Understand and agree on your statement....."Too many want to build that ultimate...….never gets finished because they are burned out!"  I'm not quitting and will plow forward and having fun doing so.  I'm building a wooden model ship, not the space shuttle.  I can do this..... I think.

20191107_142009_resized.jpg

Edited by Daliab
made pic smaller

18 hours ago, Daliab said:

Thanks for the encouraging comments RickyGene.  I too have Bob Hunt's practicum on the Victory but was spooked right off the bat with hacking off the bow and the stern and then modifying the bulkheads.  After I email Bob, he said nobody had ever finished building the Victory like his using the practicum.  If I had more years under my belt building wooden plank on frame ships, then maybe I would have cut away.  So I look at the practicum, look at the books, look at other folks builds and go from there.  In addition I have downloaded hundreds of pictures of other people's build to file away for future ideas and; what did they do when they were at this stage?. I was given one piece of cautionary advice from one of the members... if your going to use the practicum, then stay with the practicum all the way.  I'm presently working on the first layer of planking and find the stern/bow challenging but trudging through it at a slow pace.  Attached is a picture of the stern.... not the prettiest of planking jobs but learning with each plank laid.  I know I'll spend hours applying wood filler and sanding the hull smooth as my penance. I'm not into a dead perfect copy of the actual HMS Victory but at this stage of my model shipbuilding, I would like to have a decent looking model when finished that I can say I learned this, and that, on this model.   Please chime in at anytime with suggestions of things I'm doing right and things I'm doing wrong. Understand and agree on your statement....."Too many want to build that ultimate...….never gets finished because they are burned out!"  I'm not quitting and will plow forward and having fun doing so.  I'm building a wooden model ship, not the space shuttle.  I can do this..... I think.

20191107_142009_resized.jpg

Well said friend.  It has took me along time to realize, not building the Space Shuttle!  As for Dave's Practicum, is the ultimate challenge to build as close to as possible the Space Shuttle err.....Victory.  I do not find it unbelievable what he said about no other building as he has done.  However, one can dissect small details and incorporate into a build if desired.  I do agree, if you start making the mods, you need to go the full length and follow his practicum.  I will admit, the only one I have followed to completion is for the Swift.  As a matter of fact, his practicum is how I wound up with the kit I now have.  Here is a log of attempts @ Victory.   1st, Heller plastic version.  Built this kit back in the late 70's.  2nd was a small Italian made solid hull version that built into a pretty nice little desk piece, I am sorry I do not remember the mfg.  3rd and notice attempt, Constructo.  This never got past frame up.  Nothing about this kit worked/fit.  I just gave up on it. 4th Corel, a enjoyable build.  One must follow the plans and build as best as you can.  A nice vessel can be had.  Did not copper the bottom, built as a Admiral in natural wood.  Then the bug hit to build fully rigged and purchased AL's version.  At that time I was also reading/studying Dave's Practicum.  I sold the AL kit and purchased the kit I now have.  So again I have the itch to build a Vic.  But for the time being, I will watch you building yours, and I might add, looks to be off to a good start.  

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

For those who have built the HMS Victory 738 by Mantua/Panart may be wondering why I haven't planked from the lower deck to the main deck yet. One of the surprises that I had was to paint the low deck's six ribs 5, 6, and 7 yellow ochre. I figured I was a long way from breaking out the paint and brushes.  Not having yellow ochre at the time and couldn't find any locally, I ordered it from a company in the U.K.  I figured I ordered the HMS Victory from Mantua in the U.K and it arrived in less than a week in perfect condition and at a great price that 4 small bottles of paint will be a breeze.  Today I have waited 4 weeks for the paint to arrive that was coming via airmail.  In short, the company I ordered it from refunded my money after numerous emails..... but they refunded the money.  I found a different source for the paint but a different brand, so I ordered it..... 3 bottles..... this wasn't easy to find here in the U.S. and didn't want to go through a long wait since I am at the point to plank the upper portion.  This Monday the package should arrive and I can move on to finished the first layer of planking and start prepping for the next step.  I will not say the name of the company because I do not want to taint their business reputation because they did the right thing and refunded the money.  The package just got lost in the mail.  So until then this is the latest status of my build.

20191113_160203_resized.jpg20191116_130417_resized.jpg

Edited by Daliab

GREAT! Now I get to move on as the replacement order of yellow ochre (first order never came) has finally arrived.  Now I can paint the ribs that require the paint and then I can finish the first layer of planking between the lower deck and the main deck. In the past, all I have used were Model Master acrylic paints but couldn't find any in yellow ochre so I had to settle for Model Color by Vallejo.  Never used this brand so we'll see if I like it.  Color me a happy camper!  While I was waiting for the paint to arrive, I made a temporary cradle for the Vic to sit on and removed the keel clamp for good.

20191118_130718_resized.jpg

Edited by Daliab

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately the only place I found yellow ocher in the UK was at the company I originally ordered it from. Although it stated you could track the shipment, I was not able to do so for a month. Al the other places were out of stock or you needed to buy the complete set of Victory colors. Found a different brand in the US.... so far it's ok but haven't done anything bigger than an inch on tops of bulkheads. Time will tell

Again thanks for the inpit.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what came in the mail today? The yellow ochre and red ochre paint I order from the United Kingdom more than two months ago.  Didn't know if the package was lost in the mail or never shipped.  As it turns out the package went from the UK to the United States by way of Barbados.  Glad I finally got the paint as it restores the faith I have in the original company I order the paint from.  At the time I didn't want to state the name of the company and still won't as I do not want to taint their reputation.  What I will do is send them an email offering to pay for the paint received as they made the transaction good by reimbursing me the payment made. Seems only fair.  Now I will start ordering other items from them in the future.  

Second layer of planking finished and sanded.  In addition, I finished planking the stern, laid out the gun ports, and scribed the water line. Ready for the next step.  I think it's coming along fine if I don't say so myself.  This is my first double planked on frame model and my second wooden ship model ever.  So far two months in the making.

20191220_164932_resized_1.jpg20191220_165009_resized_1.jpg

Edited by Daliab

12 hours ago, Daliab said:

Kinda like the natural look.  Really thinking of not painting the Victory and letting it remain natural mahogany and walnut with a couple of coats of poly. 

Still have to do the starboard side and clean up all of the gun ports.

Input next day..... slept on the thought for keeping the Vic all natural.  To many pieces that are stamped out already colored that would need to be reworked.  The second picture shows the main piece that is pre colored.

20191231_221359_resized.jpg.6996352a993ddc3d0573bc02257479b2.jpg20200101_110048_resized.jpg

Edited by Daliab

Interesting finding....  Witch way to go?

Paint used.... Vallejo's Yellow Ochre (70.913) and Admiralty Paint's Yellow Ochre (AP9115W).

Top is Floquil Engine Black.  Middle color is Admiralty's Yellow Ochre. Bottom color is Vallejo's Yellow Ochre.

Wood used: L-R a light Mahogany, Walnut,  regular Mahogany.

Which Ochre is correct for the Victory?

Older pictures of the Victory was more of a yellow color but the newer color scheme is more of the middle color.

Surprised by the stark difference between the two yellow ochre colors.

Thoughts?

20200103_114650_resized.jpg

Edited by Daliab

Whichever is in the middle.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

GrandpaPhil.....

Agree but.... look at the ochre and black color of the stern pieces in the previous post.  It's almost more of a yellow color but not as bright as the yellow on the sample.

Wife's input is yellow and black would make the Victory look more of a bumble bee.  What does she know... don't tell her I said that!  Just kidding.  Thanks for your input.