Enterprise 1799 by Rowboat - FINISHED - Constructo - Scale 1:51

My build log file for the Enterprise built in Maryland in 1799.

I purchased the ship, Enterprise 1799 about 8 years ago. Came shrink wrapped, just like new so I thought.

I unwrapped the box and did an inventory. Besides ** missing the instruction manual (WTH) there are various other pieces missing.

The missing pieces I assume I can build ( wood pieces) and the ornaments I can order.

In search of an instruction booklet I came upon this site. Thank goodness!

I was surprised the member name "Rowboat" was available. A funny name and is fits my skill level.

There is a complete build log from and individual on this site and that log will be invaluable in my building this ship.

The person is ...... mikiek.

Thank you mikiek for the "Enterprise 1799 by mikiek - Constructo - 1:51" build log.

Hopefully they are still members and can chime in on by build log.

I found a few other logs on my ship build on this site that will also be helpful.

Maybe I will get lucky and someone has and old instruction booklet they are willing to let go, but if not I just follow the build log.

**12/2019 : I was gifted a used manual from a fellow ship model builder about 2 months into my build 😀

This build would be a fun challenge for me if I had all the materials and instructions, without them it will be "funner" .

More to come....

Current Build:

Enterprise Maryland 1799 Scale 1:51 Constrco

Previous Build:

Baltimore Clipper - Dos Amigos

I'm adding a picture of the box for the Enterprise 1799.

Also I have started attaching the bulkhead sections to the center keel.

I am supposed to glue them but when I was dry fitting them I was unable to pull them apart.

So, I'll leave them in and glue some supports.

In one of the pics their is a slight curve in the keel, hoping the support blocks will resolve this.

hull 02.jpg

Enterprise 1799 Box-01.jpg

Ship Hull -01.jpg

Edited by Rowboat
spelling

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Well, I guess I didn't post the picture of the curve in the keel, in the last post. lol

It's the last picture in this bunch.

Also posting an image of the stern after I glued in the back section.

Curiously, they are not the same width so some sanding is now in the picture for me.

I believe the next steps will be to block all the supports, getting them to 90 degrees.

Attach a starter plank about 2-4mm below the deck (I read something like that in "mikiek" build log.

Then attach the deck.

One note, I'm using ship terminology as best I know.

I'll get better :j)

stern 03.jpg

Stern blocks 01.jpg

DSC00881.JPG

Edited by Rowboat
wording

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Well, I've been doing some reading on the ship building process and learned some things.

First, so many new words;  bearding line, rabbet line, garboard strate, stem, rabbet joint ... yikes!

I think I have an idea on how to cut the rabbet line but if anyone can offer some input I'm all ears or eyes.

Maybe there's some pics on the site?

Second, ordered me a Byrnes 4" Table Saw . I know it's over the top but I hope to get 25 years out of it, if not longer.

Third, need to order some wood, I'm looking at getting some paper size sheets of different kinds and cutting them to size.

Any ideas? Will the local lumber company carry something like that? Guess I'll check.

Lastly, things are moving as expected. More reading before I start saw'n and a hack'n.

Have a good day.

Edit: Found a video on youtube, "cutting the rabbet" , on a full size boat. Not the best quality but sufficient.

Edited by Rowboat
adding text and url link to rabbet building

Current Build:

Previous Build:

• 2 weeks later...

No home projects this week so I was able to get some modeling done.

I created a rabbet joint, though almost all the bulkheads reach the bottom of the center keel so

I'll need to decide if i want to cutback the bulkheads to allow for the bearding and rabbet OR

just leave the bulkheads where they are and work around that.

Not the best job, but it is my first time so I'll accept it.

At the same time I'm working on the bow fillers.

Below are some pics of the rough cutouts and the finished ones.

I have also glued in the bulkheads and the mast supports at bulkheads 4 and 8, they are the ones in the picture with the clips attached.

It looks like I will not need support blocks to straighten the hull, once I get the false deck on that should resolve "fairing" the hull.

Progress is a little slow but then I have no instructions to go by so I have to research what goes next.

I'm afraid I'll glue something down only to find later that a piece goes behind or under it.

Next steps are to get stern fillers made, attach the false deck and also the stem, center keel and bow keel pieces.

Not much area , after rabbeting, to glue the keel pieces.

DSC00891.JPG

DSC00892.JPG

DSC00896.JPG

DSC00905.JPG

DSC00906.JPG

DSC00907.JPG

DSC00903.JPG

Edited by Rowboat
changed wording: deleted a duplicate image

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Sorry to post so many pictures in a row without an explanation.

I haven't figured that out yet, so if someone knows how to insert a pic with and explanation, then do this multiple times all in one posting please inform me.

FYI, It's my Bday 🎂, the big 60!

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Happy B day!! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic:champagne:     :cheers:

Just type your text in then hit enter that puts your cursor below the text. Then click choose files for images. Upload your images and the click the + sign for the image you want below your text and repeat as many time as you want with text then picture.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Happy Birthday!  This is the kit that first got me interested in ship models.  I have it on the shelf right now.  I’m going to pull up a chair and watch your build.  It looks great so far. 

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Thanks for the info Jonathan11.

Thank you guys for the Birthday posts.

Not to many birthdays I consider memorable but the big "6" "0" is to me.

To celebrate I ordered the Byrnes 4" Table Saw , with all the works. Supposed to have shipped Monday.😀

Happy to have a follower, Matt.

Checked out your HMS Winchelsea build and it's impressive the work you're doing!

As I mentioned in the initial post I don't have the instruction booklet so follow me at your own risk, lol.

Edited by Rowboat
added text

Current Build:

Previous Build:

I noticed that some users have an area on their posts where they post there builds.

EX:

Current Build; some model

Previous Builds: other models

It seems to be a separate area from the normal text area.

If someone can offer some guidance it's appreciated.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

3 hours ago, Rowboat said:

I noticed that some users have an area on their posts where they post there builds.

EX:

Current Build; some model

Previous Builds: other models

It seems to be a separate area from the normal text area.

If someone can offer some guidance it's appreciated.

@Rowboat, sure. Go to you name and click on it, then click on account setting, then click on signature at the right. It will open up your signature window and type in what you want displayed and link if you want. Then save, that's it. 

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

12 hours ago, Rowboat said:

Happy to have a follower, Matt.

Checked out your HMS Winchelsea build and it's impressive the work you're doing!

Thank you, sir.  I’m having fun building her, but there’s no way I could take on such a challenge outside of a group project.  I’m very thankful to have my MSW friends.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Good Morning World!

Made a little progress on the build.

Glued in the bow fillers and one false deck bulkhead top.

In the picture below you can see the bulkhead top clamped in place.

Just made the top follow the other bulkhead tops.

DSC00926.thumb.JPG.0a8ffae41d1fa223045d4302ea5337b2.JPG

I'll be nailing and gluing down the false deck.

In the following picture I just rubber banded it in place to see how "fair" it is.

One thing i did was draw the outline of the bulkhead frame on the bottom of the deck.

Then I drilled holes using the outline as a guide.

The nails are tiny 0.58 mm, and the drill bit is tinier 0.37mm.

I broke two bits before I finished.

DSC00911.thumb.JPG.2da90aac037168c7d249816ad3b63d5a.JPG

Here's the underside of the deck.

You can see the drill holes if you enlarge the image.

DSC00929.thumb.JPG.c4bc01e6c2787bc6cc71227259ba43b0.JPG

Here's some pics of me taking measurements.DSC00916.thumb.JPG.b4e011d7eb30d42b00c3b3adbb67bee2.JPG

DSC00921.thumb.JPG.163f2bdc9e41b151942b2204af26e90b.JPG

The hole size 0.37mm is a bit tight for the nail.

The next size up was 0.54mm but that was to loose.

DSC00922.thumb.JPG.ad5aadabba5f5b465010f2e071bb3c15.JPG

DSC00923.thumb.JPG.c55fc8449d18038a5bd9be68d23137a0.JPG

Like I said, I broke 2 of these bits.

I tried drilling with a support block under the holes, but if the bit did not come out exactly as it went in then it snapped.

I have a broken tip somewhere in the carpet 🗡️, that's go'in to hurt if I step on it.

Once I removed the support and just drilled through the decking I managed fine, still having to be very careful.

Luckily, I'm replacing the carpet with wood laminate flooring in a few weeks.

Edited by Rowboat
spelling, added images and text

Current Build:

Previous Build:

I discussed earlier that the bulkhead ends were protruding into and over the bearding line.

I do think I am still going to trim them back, though I have seen a model where they just didn't use a rabbet joint.

Since this is a learning experience, I decided to try out the rabbet joint.

Gluing the bottom keel parts may be an issue as I've whittled away about an 1/8 inch on each side of the main keel which the bulkheads attach to.

In the pic below you can see the bulkheads protruding into the rabbet joint.

1421056684_bulkheadspastbeardingline.thumb.jpg.eff0db9663d86cd5cb0c7be7a8773f84.jpg

I have a question, are my images to large and distracting?

I don't change the original image size from the camera but I think i can.

I like the large images as one can zoom into them for a detail look.

Before I start any decking work I'll need to fair the bulkhead tops so the false deck fits better.

Also once I glued in the bulkheads, the frame reverted back to it's original bend.😠

I planned on using the false deck to resolve the issue, but that may not be enough.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Morning from California.

Nothing new to report just had a question.

In my signature section I tried to add some HTML code but it does not display correctly, the "<>" are converted to their text version.

Anyone know how adding html code is supposed to work?

Eventually I just used the "link" icon and added links for the images of my ships.

Thanks

Current Build:

Previous Build:

I cannot help you with the HTML stuff, sorry.  Your pictures are OK.  What do you use for photo software?  Securing the subdeck will help correct the warp but I would suggest adding some temporary battens along each side as well.  They can be removed as you start your first planking layer.  On a kit like this, the rabbet will be simply a bevel sanded onto the edges of the keel piece and the backbone.  It will help secure that first layer of planking but will have no impact on the veneer layer.  It should be easy to do.  The carbide drill bits you are using are extremely brittle, which is why they broke so easily.  Get some HSS bits instead.  Most of us only use the carbide bits in a drill press because they are so brittle.  The type of Dremel you are using complicates things because you are holding it with a pistol grip rather than just grabbing it in your hand.  This makes holding the Dremel perfectly still difficult.  I had one...emphasis on the word had.  Since you appear willing to spend a little money, I would suggest that you get a good quality pin vise for those tight spots and a straight moto-tool (either corded or not).

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

57 minutes ago, tlevine said:

I cannot help you with the HTML stuff, sorry.  Your pictures are OK.  What do you use for photo software?  Securing the subdeck will help correct the warp but I would suggest adding some temporary battens along each side as well.  They can be removed as you start your first planking layer.  On a kit like this, the rabbet will be simply a bevel sanded onto the edges of the keel piece and the backbone.  It will help secure that first layer of planking but will have no impact on the veneer layer.  It should be easy to do.  The carbide drill bits you are using are extremely brittle, which is why they broke so easily.  Get some HSS bits instead.  Most of us only use the carbide bits in a drill press because they are so brittle.  The type of Dremel you are using complicates things because you are holding it with a pistol grip rather than just grabbing it in your hand.  This makes holding the Dremel perfectly still difficult.  I had one...emphasis on the word had.  Since you appear willing to spend a little money, I would suggest that you get a good quality pin vise for those tight spots and a straight moto-tool (either corded or not).

Thanks for the information.👍

The photo software is whatever came with the camera, a Sony camera.

Your next suggestion of adding battens is spot on. I just completed that task today and it straighten the hull.

I do have a drill press but was to lazy to use it ☹️. We live and we learn.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

I am not a great photographer.  One of the things that I find indispensable is photo editing software.  It compensates for a lot of sins.  It does not need to be expensive but should allow you to adjust light and color, crop, erase and resize.  I use an ancient version of Photoshp PSE 9.  You could probably find some freeware that would serve your needs. 

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Took some time today to work on straightening the hull.

All the supports ended up going only on the starboard side. I wonder if my ship will list now 😀

Check it out.

DSC00935.thumb.JPG.acb1ff773be789db36ec39e5d2a34f75.JPG

Verify with a straight edge.

DSC00936.thumb.JPG.019d9563387a9b99a7b9608f42a4f867.JPG

Also worked on fitting the stern filler.

Not sure if the plans on this build called for bow and stern fillers but I put them in as a learning experience.

Here's the stern filler.

DSC00932.thumb.JPG.c94d59c30e3eb52622d32db47b1d6e40.JPG

And after some sanding....

DSC00937.thumb.JPG.df80775afcc9e2b49216631cc9c883ae.JPG

Now that i have a straight hull I'm ready to start beveling the bulk heads.

Doing this before putting on the false deck and keel parts will make the sanding job easier, I hope.

This is where I have to start bending and fitting the strakes ( new building terminology I just learned).

A strake is a course of the planking or plating of the hull of a vessel, just in case I forget the meaning in a few weeks.

I've been forgetting stuff as I get older and just taking longer to remember.🤨

Learning a new song on the guitar, that's one of my ways to keep the brain in training.

Well, I guess that's another thing I do as I get older, diverge topics. Now what was I talking about .....

..... ah yes, ....  

No gluing yet, just trying to see how they will fit against my beveling.

Now where did I put that wood file ......... 🙄

Current Build:

Previous Build:

3 hours ago, tlevine said:

I am not a great photographer.  One of the things that I find indispensable is photo editing software.  It compensates for a lot of sins.  It does not need to be expensive but should allow you to adjust light and color, crop, erase and resize.  I use an ancient version of Photoshp PSE 9.  You could probably find some freeware that would serve your needs. 

I too had an old version of Photoshop, unfortunately Windows upgraded faster than I wanted to upgrade Photoshop.

Now that I'm working with images again I'll start looking for some software.

I like buying a hard copy, none of that stuff where they keep it on the cloud or have it as a service (ie.. you pay a fee).

Just give me a hard copy that does not require an internet connection.

Had some apple games on their cloud but lost them a few years back and no chance of getting them back.

I don't like the term "cloud" as we are talking about storage devices, hard drives in a building somewhere. That's it . Nothing special.

Just a marketing term.

I have a cloud on my desktop, laptop, phone... lol.😄

Sorry, I got off topic.

Thanks for the info.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Have the false deck nailed and glued down. It will require sanding to fit the hull.

The poop deck is causing some issues.

1.) Not sure how the deck should lay:

1. flat back to front and side to side

2. high in the middle with sloping sides to port and starboard sides and higher in the stern sloping down towards the main deck.

3. high in the middle with sloping sides to port and starboard sides and no slope coming from the stern

4. also not sure how much of the overlap will need trimming

I'll try to post some pics later. Currently remodeling the man cave.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

• 3 weeks later...

Remodel almost complete 👍.

DSC00952.thumb.JPG.5e4c6f9d876746e265254a05e69313c6.JPG

Still work to be done but I was also able to do a little work on the model, and I mean little.

Basically, glued the poop deck on.

I decided to go with option 2 in the above post.

Hope that's the right decision.

Here's some pics .....

DSC00956.thumb.JPG.1b8102ec670866cf8748cb2f9eab7d01.JPGDSC00957.thumb.JPG.f6fd61e4c60588b431f156c046990665.JPGDSC00954.thumb.JPG.00d9b7dbf1a21bd6780f47ab7d5ce913.JPG

Current Build:

Previous Build:

It looks like my next steps are to :

1.) Sand off the excess decking

2.) Cut deck boards to size

3.) Determine the deck layout I want. Not a fan of what the picture on the box shows

4.) ... and something about treenails? Have to look up why they use that name.

5.) maybe varnish the deck, is it to early in the build to do that?

Looking at my last work , I see the starboard side poop deck has to much curvature in it. 🙄

Hoping this gets covered up with the planking.

528916711_Poopdeckissue.thumb.jpg.503623b77b6cadd8a8405a8e0f643334.jpg

DSC00954.JPG

DSC00955.JPG

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Starting the decking..

First I layed out all the decking planks I had in the kit.

Turns out their is barely enough to do the job.

I guess I better not make a mistake. 😁

20191204_102246.thumb.jpg.c2405970877819ca9813a4a49223b42f.jpg

Decided on the deck layout I want to use.

For scale purposes each maked board would represent 12 foot. This equates to 72mm.

The shift for each plank will be 5 feet, which turns out to 14mm. I rounded all the numbers up.

My deck design uses a nibble strake on the outer edge. This will assist in the merging of the other planks as they reach the edges, at least I hope so. 😄

DSC00960.JPG

DSC00962.JPG

Edited by Rowboat
incurred web issues when creating post.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Here is a picture of my deck layout with markings.

I am using a 4 run repeatable design for the main deck and a 3 run design for the poop deck.

Check it out. In this image the Poop deck has a 4 run design, looks to busy.

912382743_TwomegShipdeckinglayout.thumb.jpg.7628527bc578e1052a73363ba29c46bb.jpg

Here's the poop deck with the 3 run design.

I divided the original board length of 72mm by 5 for the Poop deck.

The Poop deck is about 1/5 the size of the main deck. Also changed the shift from 3mm to 5mm for the poop deck.

3mm was to small.

What do you think, do the board lengths still look to busy?

DSC00963.thumb.JPG.ad1ab0dd9812d9ec6c0826747a7822f3.JPG

Edited by Rowboat
wording, spelling, adding information

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Some progress made on the decking.

I put in a nibble plank and unfortunately tried my hand at it.

I totally got it wrong for the first few but then after some researching I understand how it should be done, lesson learned.

Here's the wrong way to nibble a plank :(

.DSC00966.thumb.JPG.7154c1801db5e163f91442f0c879c297.JPG

.... and here's me getting better at it.

DSC00971.thumb.JPG.7a9b5c226e0879e8653b8de74ec63aec.JPG

For the poop deck I decided to use the same scaling as the main deck. Check it out.

DSC00973.thumb.JPG.a901d79de0d710c78c77c6f429d798f9.JPG

Here's my progress to date:

I used a black felt tip marker to simulate the tarred horse hair between joints.

DSC00972.thumb.JPG.2d84321626165768a9a23572531a8108.JPG

That's all folks!🐷

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Well, it's been a while and some progress has been made.

Cutout some of the plans and matched them to my build.

Although the main deck looks okay the poop deck is off.

DSC00988.thumb.JPG.a51800ecf1647efdb0dba302cf6a7ca5.JPG

DSC00983.thumb.JPG.dc8c8b99ba60a8a18955df049c8aed7a.JPG

Here's the problem area on the poop deck.

When looked at from underneath the model seems to be shorter than the blueprint.

DSC00984.thumb.JPG.11d34a9fe52b66aafc41b5cd1c6ceeec.JPGDSC00986.thumb.JPG.144e18fbf2fe2345a8599aac0edea3ff.JPGDSC00987.thumb.JPG.f06758881f21cac9532038073114c5f6.JPG

So there is some work there, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Started bending my first plank.

Soaked in water for about 30 minutes and clamped in a jig.

DSC00990.thumb.JPG.4f5a5d52a901ac814e5c60474fe98d2e.JPG

DSC00989.thumb.JPG.3ff2ffad78d11e0bf9ba84804840f71d.JPG

After a few days put the planks on the model.

Just nailed it in place.

Here's the view from the top.

DSC00994.thumb.JPG.7670aebdae9c7b555f32b080b7d8e86d.JPG

... and the sides ....

DSC00992.thumb.JPG.2483813a957e2fc72e2ddc82e5a642e4.JPGDSC00993.thumb.JPG.66958098f79018a1a7693d8240920918.JPGDSC00995.thumb.JPG.6602632f421bbedb9e559819d606080f.JPGDSC00996.thumb.JPG.22ac10acc1b8d04e48add5a7d074be1d.JPG

Finally a pic from the front.

Not sure where to cut the bow planks at the stem.

I think in this picture I cut a little to short, I believe the planks should be touching the stem area.

DSC00991.thumb.JPG.ab7079287253bd3b51535377ce41d159.JPG

Although the planks seemed to fit they will not hold with glue and nail.

I waited till the planks had dried out before applying and that is an issue at the bow and stern.

The planks won't twist into place.

I'm going to remove them and soak them longer then apply them wet.

My only concern is will my glue work on wet wood.

If someone has experienced gluing wet wood and has some ideas then pass them on.

That's all Folks ! Thanks for watching.

DSC00980.JPG

DSC00981.JPG

Current Build:

Previous Build: