DKM 37mm Flak Cannon on M42 Mount 1:5 Scale

A friend is planning to build a 1/5 scale Schnellboot S200 (22 feet)...and he needs someone to build the deck guns (i.e. cannons).  A month or so ago, I volunteered to make a 1/3.3 scale Russian ShKas machine gun for a Polikarpov Po2 biplane model he's building.  He was so pleased with it, that he asked me to build the guns for his S200.  He may have found a source for 3D printed 20mm cannons at 1/5 scale, so my task (thankfully) has been "reduced" to the one 37mm cannon. The cannon itself shouldn't be too much work.  But, man, that mount will be a serious scale mountain to climb!

I've started to collect information, photos, etc. and enlarged some sketches to 1/5 scale to get my mind around the project.  With these limited resources in hand, I can start brainstorming about how to divide the build and what materials might be used.  I'm strictly a "low tech" builder.  No CAD, no CNC, no 3D printing (though I have just recently started playing around with Fusion 360).  Just my hands and some pretty ordinary workshop tools.  My modeling interests thus far have been restricted to WWI RC aircraft and I've never built a ship model.  But then this isn't a boat either...just another "machine" which I've done before, like the dummy Benz BzIII engine (over 300 hand-made parts) for my 1/6 scale Albatros CI. 

37mm-flak-shkas-pen-1200-1.jpg

Benz-dummy-glam-3.jpg

18 hours ago, turangi said:

Beautiful work on the gun and particularly the engine! The engine deserves a build log, I would be interested to see how it was created.

The build of the engine is part of a very long running build (over 400 pages) on RCSB (Radio Control Scale Builder) of a 1:6 scale Albatros CI.  It started with constructing a master cylinder, then making a 2-part silicone mold in order to resin cast six of them.  After that it was just "hanging on all the decorations." 

Benz-dummy-1.jpg

Benz-dummy-4-sculpey.jpg

Benz-dummy-4.jpg

Benz-dummy-7.jpg

Benz-dummy-8.jpg

Edited by abufletcher

Thanks.  Every project I do gives me a bit more confidence that I can tackle the next project, which initially always seems like something impossible.  When I was initially approached about doing the 37mm deck gun that seemed impossible.  It's so large (the cannon itself is over 24") and the mount has so many highly detailed components.  For about two weeks now I've been collecting information and mentally trying to translate drawings and photos into an image of the actual object, as well as how to break the build into stages.  It's frustrating when you realize that even what appears to be an outstanding drawing inevitably misses or hides almost as much information as it contains.

So many unanswered questions!

37mm flak better-1-5-grid.jpg

3_7 cm Flak M 42 a.jpg

3_7 cm Flak M 42 b.jpg

Too bad you can't find a maintenance manual for one of the those.  It would have exploded views and probably more info than you would want.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

very much looking forward to seeing 'how' you go about this...:)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

I found what appears to be the title of the German manual for this cannon and mount ("Vorläufige Beschreibung der 3,7 cm Flak M 42, Band I" = "Provisional Description of the 3,7cm Flak M 42, Volume 1") on a German-language forum about the Wehrmacht, but haven't yet located the manual itself.

Ian, you and me both! 🤔

Edited by abufletcher

Thanks to the German-language "Wehrmacht" forum, I was given the link to a man, Jürgen Eichardt, who sells a set of drawings of the 3,7cm Flak M42, as well as other ship-related drawings.  In fact, he's the guy who drew the excellent side view that I posted above (offered as a sample on his website).  The drawings themselves are a very reasonable 15 Euros, total including shipping to Japan will be 18,70 Euros.  But he only accepts bank transfers, which will probably cost me another 50 Euros.  So that good news and bad news.

http://www.ship-model-today.de/schiffsdetails.htm

And just for fun, I thought you might like to see how my scratch-built ShKas machine gun shown unfinished above turned out.

shkas-glamor-1200-1.jpg

Edited by abufletcher

looks really good!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful work on the ShKas.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work

Also an interesting site about all units and material of the German Whermacht, the Lufwaffe and the Kriegsmarine

(In german)

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/inhaltsverzeichnis1.htm

37mm ammo

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Downloads/Downloads.htm

For the moment I haven't found anything useful about the cannon itself

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum