Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

Nice bit of progress there Popeye. Good to have you back on the Half Moon mate. :)  :) :)  

It's sickening when the snow plough's create more work than the actual snow, still, it keeps you fit I suppose. :D  :D

Also when the neighbours nick the space you've just cleared, I just love it,   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Popeye, your progress looks great. I know we're all anxious to see more progress pictures.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

yea Mobbsie........I know!   I think Sjors is pulling my leg.........I mean,  his neck of the wood is snow central :)   I just want to scrape down the driveway,  to get it back to asphalt for when the rain comes  ;)   thanks for the good word......it is nice to get back onto a beaten path.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Patrick........I hope to have more soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Here you go Popeye

One Crowsfeet hope that clears that up mate.

post-493-0-38848500-1392826825_thumb.jpg

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Popeye

My house is in a little narrow aside street 40m horisontal and 40m almost vertical, and snow cleaner can not enter. And when snow falls, all neighbourd hide in their mice holes, and if I want to use my car ( I must !) there is only me and Hothead sometimes to clean 10m to garage and 40+40m to main street. When we finish, mouses go out from their holes with their cars. Same picture every winter

People ...

Sorry for break in interesting building log.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks for the picture Mobbsie.......I knew what Sjors was talking about  {I was just fun'in with him}  I still think he should see a podiatrist.....

.....wooden shoes........feet can't breathe :D

I hear you there Nenad......inner city life is like that.......we have our own driveway,  the other two floors have their own as well........and neither the two shall meet!  love it!

had a funny this morn.......my son left to go to work.   I knew he would be in trouble,  so I went out.....he was stuck 3/4 of the way down the driveway.   he wouldn't have made it out anyway......the end of the driveway had this huge barrier of snow,  plowed from the street.  it had solidified too,  which would have been like hitting a brick wall!   get him unstuck and clear the way.......bye....bye now........go to work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was looking in the instructions Mobbsie,  and what do you know........I have crow's feet too!   must be from these gosh-darn boot I always wear :D  :D  :D     no, but really...... I need to do them too......it's all good!

to continue with the build.......I got that canopy finished and stained.

post-612-0-77297300-1392910952_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-96906000-1392910961_thumb.jpg

I must have gotten some glue on the outside......I had a couple of faint blotches,  so I touched it up.  I sanded it before I did the touch-up......I kinda liked the way it looked.....I might do a re sand to lighten it up again.

more was done to the holds,  bordering around them with mahogany,  and then staining them later.

post-612-0-86770600-1392911205_thumb.jpg

the trailing board frames were cemented in place......darned instructions don't show you where to put them exactly......my best guestimate.   I also need to take that piece out I put back in.......I have this bit of ornamentation to put in it's place.

post-612-0-18114500-1392911411_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-79357000-1392911419_thumb.jpg

to continue with the forward hold,  the cradle parts that holds the life boat were cemented in place.  I should have waited and stained it as a whole.

post-612-0-58904000-1392911538_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-92909500-1392911569_thumb.jpg

I got this idea from Peter Visser {thanks Peter}......since this kit does not have cutouts for gun ports and windows.....I find the need to improvise.  thanks to you,  I think I can pull off the windows.  luckily,  I'm glad I didn't throw away all my old floppy discs ;)

post-612-0-71456500-1392912063_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-40103500-1392912077_thumb.jpg

both holds are finished now......just about ready to go

post-612-0-39212800-1392912155_thumb.jpg

I did a dry fit of the parts so far........

post-612-0-86952900-1392912194_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice progress Popeye,

And you have also crows feet ??????

I have to check it upstairs....one moment.

Nope, not at the Half Moon from Corel.

Maybe you are meaning the crows nest ???( platform )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

I did find a small problem though......I put the masts in place,  and found that the Mizzen mast interferes with the canopy.   the holes for it give it too much rake.   I can do a couple of things here.....since the holes for either of them are already punched out.....I either need to alter the axis of the Mizzen mast,  or notch out the canopy.   as it is,  I feel there is too much rake on the mast.

as I think up a way to do this.....I settled on doing something else for the moment.  the lantern for the stern is on this page,  so I played with this.   the lantern is made up of about six parts.....some of these parts are wood.   you have the brass rod,  brass bottom cap........then there is a wood base for the clear plastic lense part to sit on.  two additional wood parts sit on the top,  sandwiching the plastic piece in.  I couldn't figure out or find the top piece,  so I used a perrel bead.....worked just as well  ;)

post-612-0-40915600-1392913136_thumb.jpg

I should have rounded off the bottom piece,  but I didn't.........but I did do it to the two upper pieces.  I painted these parts gold.

post-612-0-96767900-1392913242_thumb.jpg

these pieces were glued together and then painted as a whole.....gold.

post-612-0-59260700-1392913300_thumb.jpg

after the perrel was pushed on there,  the end of the rod was snipped off and filed flat.....it too was painted.

post-612-0-63893200-1392913360_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hee.........hee......thanks Sjors..........WHOAaaa...baby!!   I have two of them!   I thought it was only done on the foremast......but there's one on the main mast too.  :)

post-612-0-88711700-1392914210_thumb.jpg

the plans show it......that was where I got my initial thought.  but looking at the rigging sheet........my,  what a tangled web we'll weave!

post-612-0-95306100-1392914301_thumb.jpg

note the rake on the Mizzen mast........it's a part of the problem I mentioned earlier.  the way the decks are set up,  there's too much rake.   I have to fix that  :)

a close up of the fore mast shows the crow's feet tethered from the crow's nest to the lower fore stay

post-612-0-48140200-1392914605_thumb.jpg

and here is the main mast

post-612-0-91119300-1392914645_thumb.jpg

the bases for the crow's nests....I can use......they have all the holes I'll need for the rigging,  but I'll need to scratch build the rest.....I think I'm going to do them next  :)   you might want to add the C.F.'s in Sjors.....................sorry Anja ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I hope I have enough blocks for all this rigging........  eegadds,  flipping that sheet over was quite an eye opener  ;)

I also wanted to mention that the life boat is not going to look like that.......there's a plan in the works for it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

All these fine details are bringing her together VERY  nicely.  Yeah, I figured you had an idea in your head when I saw the ship's boat.  Don't let that rigging plan scramble your brain.  One line at a time a 'poof', it gets done!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Popeye, nice going my friend, she's beginning to take shape.  

Question on the mizzenmast rake, are you sure you are not looking at the mast itself but at the lateen sail boom instead?  Looking at the drawing it appears that the mizzenmast is either 90 degrees to the waterline or with just a few degrees aft.

Crows feet and crows nests - - - you are having all the fun - - - i don't have any of those fancy things on my dad's sub  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Popeye, I think you have a time machine that allows you to manipulate your time to work on so many builds so quickly. The canopy, cradle and lantern look great.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Great progress Popeye,

You seem to be getting all the little bits at once mate, have fun and let the imagination run riot. It's as Augie says, one line at a time. You really will start talking to yourself when you start on the rigging. :D  :D

I argue with myself and end up losing, not sure how that happens. :o

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

thanks all for the kind comments!   only got a little done yesterday........driveway is clear now,  and getting a wash with rain today....crap!

yepper Augie......I got ideas flowing all through me :D   too late though....brain's already scrambled !   thanks! ;)

thanks John........other than the minor set back....it's great to be on a beaten path ;)

thanks Piet!   it's in the alignment of the two holes for the Mizzen mast......if I get a chance,  I'll post a picture before I mast her :)   the mast leans wayyyyyyyy back....a bit too much.  the hole in the main deck and the hole in the lower aft deck......they are pre punched  {I didn't have to scratch either part - main deck and aft deck platforms}.    same with the hole for the canopy.   the Gothenborg is lanteen rigged...and it doesn't have as much rake as this one........I have a gameplan! :)

you know........you could do a crow's nest.........have a guy up there on the look-out,   and a couple of others on the deck scratch'in their heads :D :D :D :D    remember........never underestimate the mind of a lunatic.....the power of suggestion is too great! :D  :D 

thanks Patrick.........no,  no time machine......it's all selective,  just like my hearing  {just ask the admiral} :D     it is said that the one who has all the toys,  wins..........but I think you have to have all the models first.......to use them on ;)    I didn't buy the tool though,  thought I'd cut out the middle man! :D :D :D :D     {he who packs lightly,  moves faster}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Mobbsie.........I already talk to myself :) ........the admiral is getting tired of saying  "What???? :D :D :D

How to win,  over reasoning with one's self

that's easy........you gotta take command.......you gotta take control of the conversation...........I AM!!!!! ;) 

then your inner self will say  "OK, then I guess it's your turn to make the mistake!"  :D :D :D

thoughts for assertiveness

you think to yourself......"who am I?"

your inner self will say......."your the boss."

you ask your inner self......"....and who are you?"

your inner self will say......"I'm nothing."

.......so you think to yourself and come to the conclusion,  that your the boss over nothing :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I see progress!!! And it appears you are mentally working out future issues as well. So far the work is top notch as usual. I do believe as much as you bemoan a few of the hiccups, secretly you enjoy them as they provide you with a mental challenge :P

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Popeye,

If you need more blocks ,let me know and I will send you.......

Grant makes me new blocks for my Aggy so I have a lot in stock !

And yes, you have crow feet......Anja don't !

Anja happy  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Robbyn........I thought your comment was very funny.......I wish there was a  'really like' button!   made me think of the movie '12 monkeys'

so true.........it would be a boring build without them  :)

I'll keep that in mind Sjors...such a kind gesture! :blush:   is Anja going to add them In?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi Ed........I think your talking about the Holiday boats.....but that's OK.    congratz to the women's hockey team.......I forget who won ..I don't follow it.....sorry  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello popeye  looks like u are off and running on the kit so far looking great keep up the great work my friend

I can see the Pilgrims impatiently waiting  to come aboard. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

S.os

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

thanks Dragzz and Senior...thanks for the good word and looking it  ;)

thanks Marty.....actually,  the mast problem is minor......I'm sure there is a simple solution for it.   I'll get a couple of pictures to give everyone an idea of what the problem is.   I think the holes for the mast and the hole for the canopy {on the lower aft deck},  are laser cut too close together.  looking at the plans......there is some rake,  but not that much.   the camera is on the charge at the moment.  it's a bit awkward,  because I am in the middle of scratch building the crow's nests..........they're a pain in the backside too!

thanks for looking in and the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: