U-371 by Katuna - Trumpeter - 1/48 - Plastic - 16/10/43

Well, at the urging of yvesvidal, I'm starting this build log on my Trumpeter 1/48 scale U-Boat. I had wanted to build this kit after watching SkipperTed's build videos on YouTube. I had been out of model building for about 40 years (that seems to be quite common these days). I've always liked a challenge and this kit delivers that in spades! I love superdetailing my models and, as this is a full cut-away, it's a detailers dream. Little did I know what I was getting myself into.

First, a little background on the kit and the particular boat I chose to model. If you're unfamiliar with the kit, it's like many Trumpeter kits as it is heavily detailed in some sub-assemblies and woefully short of detail in many others. It definitely feels like a "designed by committee" kit. While the Engine Room has a fantastically detailed diesel engine, the Conning Tower is sadly vacant of detail in any amount. However, if you enjoy adding lots of little fiddly bits, it's a perfect kit for this. Several detail parts suppliers, primarily on Shapeways, have some wonderful pieces that make huge improvements to the model. There are also 2 very large PE sets available. Unfortunately, all of the details available are for the exterior of the boat and, if this were a closed hull model, that would be more than sufficient. However, creativity can make up the shortcomings. Don't get me wrong, built straight from the box this builds into a very impressive model but, with the added details, it can easily be built into a museum level display.

As for the boat I'm building, the kit is a Type VIIC U-Boat. This was the most common type built during the war and my boat, U-371 was commissioned in March of 1941. I picked this boat at random from the list of all of the Type VIIC boat numbers. It was simply because I liked the number. It was the first one I picked and it turned out to have a very long career, by U-Boat standards anyway. She patrolled the Atlantic off of the French and Portuguese coast during her early career, then made the passage past Gibralter into the Mediterranean. She would patrol there until 4 May, 1944 when she was sunk. During all but her last patrol, she was commanded by Kapitanleutnant Waldemar Mehl. His personal insignia, a dragonfly riding torpedo, is the only positively identifiable photo of U-371.

post-1153-1155496148.jpg

Edited by Katuna

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

For my build, there are several design details, primarily on the exterior, that distinguish this boat from an "as launched" boat. By late 1943, most boats had had their main 88mm deck guns removed because surface hunting had all but ceased due to the advancements of allied radar tracking and increased aerial patrols. Also, the towers had been modified to include a second aft gun deck. These were for the fitment of an anti-aircraft gun. At the beginning of these retrofits a Quad 20mm gun was installed but later, a single 37mm gun replace these. On the upper gun deck, two single barrel 20mm guns replaced the former lone gun. These guns gave the boats some added defenses for surface running, mainly while recharging batteries.

Another, somewhat unique feature on U-371 was the addition of "armor boxes" to the sides of the Bridge portion of the Conning Tower. This was to give the Bridge crew a protected coverage during a surprise aerial attack. These were later remover from most boats as they tended to make the boat top heavy in rough seas however, they were never removed from U-371. Presumably this was because U-371 was sunk before the removal could be performed.

All these added details will give the model a distinctive look and set it apart from a standard Type VIIC. Of course, it will also add a considerable amount of work and expense. Me and my bright ideas.

IMG_1958.JPG

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

Ok, enough history lessons, on to my build. I have begun the build starting with the Engine Room. For no other reason than it looks really cool, I chose to start there.

Now, a word of warning. I don't work at a blistering pace. My modeling time is pretty scarce. Often I go weeks without having the spare time to work on the model. That, along with all the scratchbuilding required, it slows my pace way down. Please don't expect to see updates every 2-3 days. If any of you follow yvesvidal, he could probably build 4 or 5 boats to my one, even with all of the extensive detailing he has included.

That said, on with the show...

If you're not familiar with the kit, one (of several) design issues with the kit has to do with the ribbing in the various compartments. In the Engine Room, there is some very nice rib detail under the decking. Unfortunately, they put it all on the Port side. The viewing side is from the Starboard side so, where you should have a web of ribs, piping and tanks, you have a great void. To remedy this, another full set of ribs has to be built as well as the Starboard most beam.msw1.thumb.JPG.fd5ed2a657793f38aff661a4d4ab1d7b.JPG

As my scratchbuilding skill aren't quite up to full potential yet, these ribs will be used on the Port side.

Sorry about the giant sized photo. I resized it but it still came out large. I'll try harder on the next one.

Once I fabbed all of the ribs, they were fitted onto the beam, dryfitted and the ribs sanded down to match the contour of the pressure hull.msw2.thumb.JPG.55d7a7a864861042ce48a62d8aea976f.JPG

I can see I'm missing something with the resizing. Maybe third time will be the charm.

Another one of the glaring omissions of the kit is the complete lack of detail under the decking plates, especially the total absence of the oil/waste oil tanks. I fabbed up the center tank using several 3D renderings from Simon Morris from New Zealand. He is rendering a U-Boat in 3D down to the last nut and bolt.

msw3.JPG.6c864d395c0e19790efc8b7213a873cf.JPG 

Yay, that size is much better! These are the two main beams in the compartment. The tank is primarily for waste oil.

msw4.JPG.90fa23b064c69af19c8ef0bee87cd506.JPG

The center tank and all the ribs/beams fitted. The tank is still removable at this point. There is still much detail work to be done on the top hatches.

msw5.JPG.9d709472ae94c03183085adeaffbb71f.JPG

I filled in the Stbd. ribs for the tank on that side. It has minimal detail on top.

msw6.JPG.dd7476697f973c66e7f28f5b84d67e42.JPG

The Stbd,center and Port tanks. The Port tank is actually only what is visible. Almost all of the Port side under the decking and engine is impossible to see when the compartment is finished, which was such a waste for the to put rib detail back there and not out front where you can see it.

Edited by Katuna

Once that was complete, I turned my attention to the engine itself. This, more than any other part of the kit is a masterpiece. That's not to say it doesn't have a few minor shortcomings but, pound for pound, it's by far the most detailed part of the model. It's too bad that the committee that designed the engine couldn't have been turned loose on the rest of the boat. While each of the different compartments is a model unto itself, the engine is a model, within a model, within a model.

msw7.JPG.10bcafe8a2cb9e275030a3648bb8e054.JPG

I started by building a stand for it to set level on (or "on which it could set level" if you prefer proper English.). I threw a little test paint and some basic weathering on for practice. Remember, its been 40 years since I stopped building. I was floored when I first started back up at the paint and weathering supplies as well as the fantastic jobs that even moderately skilled builders were achieving when weathering. There was hope for me yet.

msw8.JPG.2eb868ce3f7d435d16aa237c71017d89.JPG

msw9.JPG.24d9ee59edd0e3c48085806c3f2c685c.JPG

As said, the model has wonderful detail that goes together relatively well. The biggest issue I had was fitting the PE to the tops of the injectors (just below the rocker arms). Nothing a little Mr Surfacer (the single greatest invention in the last 40 years!) won't clean up.

As stated, repeatedly, there's much room for detail. One thing I added was additional piping. As seen in any WWII movie that involves U-Boats, there's piping EVERYWHERE. One big improvement was the addition of the small lines from the Lubricator.

msw10.JPG.6523acc2bb7b7291cac2f198e1ca481f.JPG

msw11.JPG.575fd260f74c2ffa84933ca9c0919187.JPG

That really improved the level of detail as it sits right out front. More was needed however. While it would be maddening to try and replicate every piece of tubing, my goal is to try and match the piping on the engine and under the decking plates as close as possible.

msw12.JPG.5fe97c29346d21e07f16183ae27d741c.JPG

A little more added.

275560707_msw16.png.28d22a59de3ce54f2892bbf0bd2f273a.png

This a little closer to where I want to be. I'm an idiot.

The next order of business was to address the completely missing flywheel/housing. This is a prominent feature on the forward end of the engine.msw14.JPG.077f38c0c4eac89fc61f56da0168432a.JPG

I used a nylon washer, covered the front with styrene then made several of the gussets from styrene as well.

msw15.JPG.89e62e2b5cdfe33e27742c98b25c041f.JPG

While I was happy with the outcome of the flywheel cover, only after I had fixed it in place did I realize it should have had 12 gussets instead of 8. Put me in front of the rivet counter firing squad, I guess.

msw13.JPG.6dcf1432d04b00cfe92db9f427997f03.JPG

Anther missing item were the large nuts that hold the engine down to the engine bed. I sourced these from Tichy Train Group. I had to shave just a touch off of the block side but they were the smallest I could find. Vast improvement however.

This brings us to the last item and where I am currently in a holding pattern. The decking plates throughout the boat are obnoxiously oversized in their thickness. I haven't measured them but they are probably a scale 6" or more thick. Yucko. After some extensive research, I came up with what appears to be one of the two patterns for the deck plates. Eduard made some different types of German decking and I was able to find the correct one even though Eduard isn't making them anymore.

I began by recreating the uprights that support the decking.

msw20.JPG.350b8816f60de1d3f5b1362941415426.JPG

These were designed using some photos of U-995 in Germany as well as some of the 3D drawings. How accurate they are, I'm not sure but with what I could find they're pretty close.

msw17.JPG.dcc730fb9f7a7ba734ba0dcb08f78170.JPG

I started by using the kit decking for the basic shape then used the 3D drawings as well as original plan view drawings to refine then overall layout.

msw18.JPG.3b7e0c8afddbfd378f5b194b8a680ad5.JPG

I then trimmed it with some styrene angle. The decking is in sections so I need to add some panel lines with a scribe. There are also valve stem fittings (as can be seen it the 3D pic above) that I need to figure out how to replicate.

msw21.JPG.f05848d3339c014ca08efb872d0d6362.JPG

And this is about where I'm at today. The decking isn't level as I'm still mocking it up. The long section along side the engine didn't come out correctly and I have since noticed there is a dog legged edge near the aft end. I need to finish the supports for that section too.

I hope this hasn't been too boring. A lot of pics and yammering for not much progress. If I get 5 minutes to myself this holiday weekend maybe I can get a little more done.

Edited by Katuna

9 hours ago, Katuna said:

I hope this hasn't been too boring. A lot of pics and yammering for not much progress. If I get 5 minutes to myself this holiday weekend maybe I can get a little more done.

Katuna,

It is not boring at all, on the contrary it is fascinating! I signed in to follow your log.

As G.L. wrote: Fascinating! Can't wait for the next update. It is nice to see the difference in approach between you and Yves though building the same boat from the same kit. It shows you can do almost anything you want as a modeller in just as many ways. Most importantly, you, Yves, RGL, and many others show that Plastic isn't boring!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Finally got a few minutes to sit down at the desk the past weekend and do a little work. Most of that consisted of some long needed organizing of all my supplies and paperwork. I love doing the research of a project, especially one as specific as U-371. Most of my data is on my computer but I'm old school and I like holding a piece of paper in my hand. That and I had tons of notes and drawings I've done. Consequently, my bench and the surrounding area were becoming quite a paper blizzard. 

msw25.JPG.ee5113d2a50b2263a5a62ab81928d4d8.JPG

Here I secured the remaining decking supports. How close this is to the prototype I'm not sure but the spacing seemed reasonable. I don't know if I need one in the center as well. It wouldn't line up with any ribs and there are some large valves on top of the center tank. There will be one more support near the aft end of the main beams, just before the step up to the hatchway.

msw24.JPG.87a07fc5c538e1f3aa6991f1789cc306.JPG

I also remade the main walkway deck plates. Before I had it at an angle from the forward step all the way to the rear but I found later this was incorrect. The walkway overall is probably a bit too wide but I had to accommodate the Trumpeter dimensions. The engines should set on a slight angle inwards towards the aft end. Once again the manufacture blew it. I made the executive decision to leave it as is and try and visually cheat by tapering the walkway. That didn't work out as planned, obviously but I think in the grand scheme of things it'll be just fine. 

One other little thing I attempted over the weekend was to make a copy of the engine oil sump. There is only one in the kit so the near side doesn't have one. Using Blue Stuff and Miliput I tried to get a decent replica. However, the second of three attempts was the only one salvageable. I kept having an issue with core shift so the two halves were not lining up properly. The one shown below has been partially cleaned up and I can make it work. Much like the home made ribs, it will go on the Port side where, once all the piping is added, it should be unnoticeable. I still need to get it straight and fill all the dents and bubbles with Mr. Surfacer.1259346010_oilsump2.JPG.71a0e2c3d8ead80701fcc5ea37910a8a.JPG

I still need to finish cleaning up the original. They didn't even put a bottom on it. I swear, some parts of this kit border on "toy like".

I think next time I'll try using silicone caulk with liquid resin. While it takes a bit longer, I think  in the end the results will be much more satisfactory. I'm going to have to make a bunch of compressed air tanks eventually. They're all over the boat, even outside the pressure hull.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them.

16 minutes ago, Katuna said:

They didn't even put a bottom on it. I swear, some parts of this kit border on "toy like".

Very true. There are so many short cuts with basically no savings at the end of the day for the Manufacturer. 

This kit could be "top", with a little bit more care and a few more parts.

Yves

yves - You're absolutely correct. So many parts a are just half-hearted attempts but then there' sprue after sprue of delicate tubes and pipes. But, like I said before, that's what makes it fun. To put your own level of detail into it. Even straight out of the box, if you only added some additional piping and opened the main deck slats & drain holes, you would have a fantastic model.

Oh yeah, and get rid of the damned clear hull pieces! Just mold it in styrene with the sides cut out. Grrr.

Ok, officially no more griping. I don't to be a Negative Nancy. Just think happy thoughts when I sit down at the desk. : )

Wow, the detail is amazing.  While I am no Diesel engine Mechanic I was once upon a time an aircraft mechanic.  I have worked on helicopters, turbo props, jets, and light airplanes and more then a few cars in my day and the mechanic in me really is drawn to the details.  Looking at the ship plans and system schematics you post and then your build I think that looks real!  I keep thinking this looks like something that would really run and I can imagine a mechanic wrenching on.  Really cool what you guys are doing with this kit!

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

Blue Pilot - Thank you very much! The support That I am receiving from this community is great. I consider my ability average at best. There are some builders that just blow your mind with the level of detail of this kit. I won't mention names because I don't want anyone looking at there builds, realizing I'm just a hack ; )

Way back in the early 80's I started on my AP license but sadly I had to walk away. Always wondered where that may have taken me. Just like this build, I've always like different. Everyone in the class ha a Continental to rebuild. I picked the Lycoming. I like a challenge. I may not succeed, but I like it anyway.

1 hour ago, Katuna said:

Way back in the early 80's I started on my AP license but sadly I had to walk away. Always wondered where that may have taken me. Just like this build, I've always like different. Everyone in the class ha a Continental to rebuild. I picked the Lycoming. I like a challenge. I may not succeed, but I like it anyway.

Haha I am following those too!.  1980'S is when I started in aviation.  I know what you mean about being different I guess I am the same.  When I wanted to learn to fly I went our and bought an old 1956 Cessna 172 (with the O-300 Contenental). At the time I had no idea where it would take me either.  I fixed her up and flew her through my Commercial pilot license that old fastback Cessna.  I took a girl out on a date with the old Cessna once.  Flew over to an airport with a nice restaurant then took her up to watch the sun set.  We then climb up a few thousand feet and watched the sun set again:).   I guess that old Cessna worked it's magic, I married that girl.  

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

13 hours ago, Blue Pilot said:

I took a girl out on a date with the old Cessna once.  Flew over to an airport with a nice restaurant then took her up to watch the sun set.  We then climb up a few thousand feet and watched the sun set again:).   I guess that old Cessna worked it's magic, I married that girl.  

Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us. Yes, the magic of flying....

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Mark - Glad that path worked out for you. I was looking at images  of old Lycoming's as I hadn't even thought about that in years. I think the one I worked on was an O-320. Everyone else was working on A65 Connie's. Ah memories.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to anyone that has been following this build. I have been derelict in my duties as a builder as I have not had the time to sit down at the bench since the beginning of Dec.

After staring at the oil cooler that I made from Milliput, I just wasn't happy with it. It is actually slightly larger than the original. So with that, I'm going to attack it from a different angle and make a silicone mold and use liquid resin. I'm sure it will have a better outcome. As soon as I can get two minutes to myself, I'll sit down and fab it up. Stay tuned.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I haven't done much in the last 2 months to the boat but I do have a small update. I've been distracted by a side project that got the better of me. Our nephew gave me an old Monogram M48 Patton tank kit for Christmas. To take a breather from the U Boat build, I thought I would knock out the crude old kit in a weekend as a distraction. I thought wrong! It was a total pig in over simplistic design, circa 1966. I did teach myself how to create cast metal texture so one good thing came out of it. I'm still finishing it up but it's nearly off the bench.

So, I attempted to make a silicone mold for the oil cooler since the Blue Stuff didn't work to my liking. After do a quick study of how Plasmo did it (if you've never seen his YouTube vids, very talented guy!), I made a simple mold from household silicone and used 5 min. epoxy. The first go didn't come out as I didn't get enough material in the mold but the second one came out nearly perfect. Success, albeit a minor one. I'll take what I can get.

I'm sure making molds is old news to most of you but, after 40 years out of the modeling biz, I'm happy to be learning things I only dreamed of way back when. Good times...good times.

IMG_4573-3.JPG.6df5ef62b1d3c4177e4b0e8485c74549.JPG

I swear, that didn't come out of me. Honest, it's just silicone and resin.

IMG_4574-3.JPG.7ec64f69c2d8b3b79f76a83a075b9564.JPG

Yay, finally a usable part! There's going to be many more copies of parts to come. I need a lot of compressed air tanks. They're all over the boat and the kit only has about 6. I'll be pretty good at this by the time I'm done.

Speaking of which, if anyone has any experience in this, I'm open to any suggestions. Hopefully I'll be back on this build soon. I'm sure many of you have been losing sleep in anticipation. 

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone! Yikes, its been 6 months since I posted anything. Life gets in the way, then I lost my spare room where I worked to our nephew so everything got boxed up and stored. The scariest part was my wife and nephew did most of the packing and storing while I was at work one day 😳. They did a great job however.

One positive that came out of this was, I was able to get a shed built in my backyard. It's not very large at 8'x10' but that's not all that much smaller than the spare room and...it's all mine. No sharing! Unfortunately it's still going to be quite awhile before it's ready to move into. I want to do it right the first time and had to explain to my wife it's like building a little house. Electrical, insulation, sheetrock, cabinets, work tops and, most importantly HVAC. It's supposed to be 110F this weekend. That needs a little more than a desk fan.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah, poor me. I just wanted to let those of you who were laying awake in a pool of sweat every night, waiting and wondering when the next update would be posted, never fear. Later than sooner but, eventually. Now go get some sleep.

IMG_4910.JPG