1/35 UH-1H Huey By lmagna

lmagna

21 hours ago, mtaylor said:

walked back to my hooch in my underwear, carrying my rifle, and .45 in the holster.  Now that I think about it... no one talked to me as left the hanger, they just kind of backed away. 

Good Lord Mark,that is a visual I really didnt need. But I did need the laugh,thanks. I wont post it here for obvious reasons if you choose to look it up, but for some disturbing reason that old Sean Connery movie Zardoz came to mind with his red suspenders when I read that. 🥴

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

wow.......great story :dancetl6:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

There are a couple of places in his story that hit home and bring up memories even though I was not in the Marines nor was I a grunt. It was still a tough watch in some ways though.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

There are a couple of places in his story that hit home and bring up memories even though I was not in the Marines nor was I a grunt. It was still a tough watch in some ways though.

Here Here!

It reminded me of the time my father decided to recount some of his experiences during WWII. (he didn't do that very often) In particular the time he was telling about the relief of the 7th division by the Marines in from from the Shuri line....  He spent three months in and around the Shuri Line and this video sounded a LOT like his depictions of what it was like.... When they brought the Marines up (in trucks) the relieved troops had to march back... in one such truck were a bunch of kids who were throwing catcalls and other less than respectful things. (of course marines/army you get the picture) there was a gunnery Sgt in one of the truck and my father recounted how he brought his charges up short with a few choice words, and then stood on the forward corner of the bed rails of the truck and threw a perfect parade ground salute to the troops marching.....

My father said that made his day, someone who understood what he was seeing, showed them the respect they deserved,  No army/marines issues after that with him it was respect for those who made it through and remembering those who didn't, many good friends....

All of you boys, Thank you, for your service, (and your sacrifices)......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

7 hours ago, lmagna said:

That was a hard watch, Lou.  I had to wander off for a bit after watching it.  

CDW, thanks for posting that. even though it was hard to watch, probably a good thing I did.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I have not done much on my Huey the last couple of weeks. Although I’m retired and it would seem that with this “Stay Home” order I would have nothing but time on my hands, it seems like nothing but extra work.

First off, as both my wife and I would be considered as poster children for catching the virus I had to try and find ways around everyday simple needs. The biggest of these was finding a way to limit our exposure in the grocery store and still keeping the two of us and our live-in Velociraptors supplied. I had to learn to do this simple task on line and ended up going through three considerably different store systems before finding one that seems, (So far) to work.

Then there are the two aforementioned Velociraptors. The schools sent them home two weeks ago and told us not to bring them back! So both the school system and myself have been going back and forth on how to get the kids to study and to get some kind of useful scholastic content while at home. You would think that this would be fairly easy as children all over the country have been home schooled for years with little or no issues. But the public school teachers are acting as if they just landed on an alien planet and are at a complete loss. There have been at last count by me, four different “Lession” systems introduced by teachers by each school my two boys attend. I have not had to do too much for my High School aged boy, he has some computer skills of his own and all I need to do is kick start him now and then to do the work instead of hiding out in his room pretending.  But my twelve year old is another matter. While he has been pretty good at attending the class hours I have assigned to him, his teachers have been all over the map on where to locate the work he has been assigned and that seems to change daily. Plus he has been assigned school logins that are apparently top secret need to know only information and parents are NOT on the inside loop. They are sending me the information of what they expect him to do, but neither he nor I have enough information to get there.

As an example,  today I ended up emailing one of his teachers to tell her that he would not be able to do the assignment as after spending the morning trying to  access the site he and I were no longer on speaking terms. She said that we were not the only people with location and login issues,(SURPRISE) and  I agreed to a telephone call where SHE tried to walk him through the location and login procedure. I had the whole conversation on speaker phone and was also following the procedure on my computer, so I would know how to do it tomorrow when it would be needed again. When he reached the inevitable unbreachable hurdle I chimed in and asked for his school email and was told that I was a parent and had a different way of entering the site! Needless to say I pretty much went ballistic and handed her over completely to my son and told her good luck. She lasted about another half hour and said she would call back in an hour or two but would be emailing me with added instructions. My wife was also angry with me for losing it so I forwarded the emails to her and told her that she should deal with it then. I had been doing it for the last two weeks and was pretty tired of it. She made a feeble attempt at working with my son and the instructions for about fifteen minutes and then badgered me into taking the chore over again. At that point it was either leave the house and find someone that was contaminated and end it all, or go ahead and tackle it yet again. This time after combining tidbits from four separate emails from the teacher I was able to get him into the required site. I tried to explain to him how I did it but I have my doubts that much of it sunk in as he pretty much had that deer in the headlight look on his face.

So along with trying to deal with all of the other things that this time of year brings me, this is pretty much how my life has been going and to be honest I have done almost no work on the Huey. Certainly nothing worth documenting. So tomorrow I have a couple of more financial matters to try and clear up and of course the obligatory school session, but I am making it a point to get over to the working space where the Huey has patiently been waiting and get some worthwhile work done. So fair warning to the forum members to look the other way, here comes more of the Huey.         

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Our public education system at work.... (teachers more clueless than the students) And ours are some of the highest paid teachers in the country!!!)

Anything I can do to help? :-)

The bird will patiently wait, we here will patiently wait, (no matter how much we don't want to) and pray that you and yours stay safe, take no inordinate risks, as we are all in the same boat as you for the most part....

Thanks for the warning my friend, but I'm sure, no one here classifies it as a warning to fear....

Remember, when the world dishes out lemons and refuses to allow us to make lemonade, grab a mint julep instead, more tasty and satisfying in the end... (it's become a crazy world out there) 

Take care and stay safe, we will be here..... (as long as the guv doesn't shut down the internet in the cause of social distancing)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I hated to put a like to that one lou.......all I can say is that I'm glad my two are grown.   yea......I'm a bit short on patients at times myself.  this is new to them....I get it.........but I listen to what my older son is going through with his tribe { I think he has three in school now}....he's literally had to go to the school to pick up the homework!   colleges and tech schools have been using a method they've developed for a few years now...you would think they would adopt the same method and go from there.   take care of the home front and don't worry........we as well as the model will still be here :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

To be honest I have not done much on my Huey the last couple of weeks. Although I’m retired and it would seem that with this “Stay Home” order I would have nothing but time on my hands, it seems like nothing but extra work.

First off, as both my wife and I would be considered as poster children for catching the virus I had to try and find ways around everyday simple needs. The biggest of these was finding a way to limit our exposure in the grocery store and still keeping the two of us and our live-in Velociraptors supplied. I had to learn to do this simple task on line and ended up going through three considerably different store systems before finding one that seems, (So far) to work.

Then there are the two aforementioned Velociraptors. The schools sent them home two weeks ago and told us not to bring them back! So both the school system and myself have been going back and forth on how to get the kids to study and to get some kind of useful scholastic content while at home. You would think that this would be fairly easy as children all over the country have been home schooled for years with little or no issues. But the public school teachers are acting as if they just landed on an alien planet and are at a complete loss. There have been at last count by me, four different “Lession” systems introduced by teachers by each school my two boys attend. I have not had to do too much for my High School aged boy, he has some computer skills of his own and all I need to do is kick start him now and then to do the work instead of hiding out in his room pretending.  But my twelve year old is another matter. While he has been pretty good at attending the class hours I have assigned to him, his teachers have been all over the map on where to locate the work he has been assigned and that seems to change daily. Plus he has been assigned school logins that are apparently top secret need to know only information and parents are NOT on the inside loop. They are sending me the information of what they expect him to do, but neither he nor I have enough information to get there.

As an example,  today I ended up emailing one of his teachers to tell her that he would not be able to do the assignment as after spending the morning trying to  access the site he and I were no longer on speaking terms. She said that we were not the only people with location and login issues,(SURPRISE) and  I agreed to a telephone call where SHE tried to walk him through the location and login procedure. I had the whole conversation on speaker phone and was also following the procedure on my computer, so I would know how to do it tomorrow when it would be needed again. When he reached the inevitable unbreachable hurdle I chimed in and asked for his school email and was told that I was a parent and had a different way of entering the site! Needless to say I pretty much went ballistic and handed her over completely to my son and told her good luck. She lasted about another half hour and said she would call back in an hour or two but would be emailing me with added instructions. My wife was also angry with me for losing it so I forwarded the emails to her and told her that she should deal with it then. I had been doing it for the last two weeks and was pretty tired of it. She made a feeble attempt at working with my son and the instructions for about fifteen minutes and then badgered me into taking the chore over again. At that point it was either leave the house and find someone that was contaminated and end it all, or go ahead and tackle it yet again. This time after combining tidbits from four separate emails from the teacher I was able to get him into the required site. I tried to explain to him how I did it but I have my doubts that much of it sunk in as he pretty much had that deer in the headlight look on his face.

So along with trying to deal with all of the other things that this time of year brings me, this is pretty much how my life has been going and to be honest I have done almost no work on the Huey. Certainly nothing worth documenting. So tomorrow I have a couple of more financial matters to try and clear up and of course the obligatory school session, but I am making it a point to get over to the working space where the Huey has patiently been waiting and get some worthwhile work done. So fair warning to the forum members to look the other way, here comes more of the Huey.         

Most important thing lou  - try to keep your spirits  up and I am sure everyone else agrees  - this is our family  on here  and we are  all here for each other.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks everyone'

It is not really a big thing but it has added some constant workload to my day that has not been there prior to the shutdown. I think the part that makes me the most upset is that there are plenty of programs in the country that are already in place that teach children on line and have been used fore years by home schooled children to good effect but, are being ignored by at least by our local school system. By the time they cobble their makeshift system together the shutdown will be over and the children will be back in school but missing months of potential education. Meanwhile 2/3rds, (66%) of my tax bill each year goes to the schools! What made me blow up was the idea that we as parents are considered just somewhere to house the children outside of the school environment and that school issued pass words and such are considered the private domain of the school and the child assigned to them.

Oh well, rant over and time to get on with life, just did morning inventory and time to try out the new shopping service and see it is performs twice in a row. Also late morning class duties, then it's building Huey's time. At least I think it is.   

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I empathize with you, Lou.   When Janet was teaching, I was her IT guy and sorting out stupid stuff with college IT department was part of it.  Very stressful and not always satisfying to say the least.   

I daresay you have your priorities right... we'll just have to be patient until real life gets sorted out.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It was much better today. He was still unable to get in by himself so I did it for him in just a few minutes and we were able to do his additional studies in a couple of hours splitting his time in half. Morning and afternoon. Still some catch up needed but things seem to be much smoother today.

I was also able to get some work in on the Huey although not as much as I thought I would. Had to take an hour to go online and order groceries. Now we are having delivery issues and the soonest I could get an opening is Saturday at 8pm. I hope this system does not get too overloaded. They also canceled two of the meat items on the order saying that they were not available. If this method becomes too overloaded then we will just have to grab up the gloves and head to the store and do it ourselves.

I took some pictures even though there is not all that much new to see, but it is late, (early) and I need to get up in time to take care of school tomorrow. So I will post them tomorrow when I get a window. Again fair warning!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Sounds like you are getting on top of things now Lou 🙂. Reading what you're going through makes me realise how lucky I am that my  kids have grown up and gone!

Anyway keep your chin up and stay safe 👍😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks Edward

Some of our kids are also grown up, although not really gone. Two of them live within walking distance of our house. It oldest one who just turned 50 lives about 800 miles away. In reality the two we have at home now are actually grandchildren we adopted years ago and while they still call us grandma and grandpa we still consider them just two more sons just like the others. After 50 years of continuous children I doubt we would know what to do if it was just the two of us. Probably end up shooting each other.

Well you were all warned. Here come the pictures! Like I said I had hoped to get more done than I have but at least there is some progress. Part of the reason is the amount of detail work that is needed in the cockpit area on this model. Once all of this is done there is almost nothing else to this kit of any significance. So without further due here are the pictures:

image.thumb.png.9613ab811975cc08bdaf6a195bf8a4f2.png

image.thumb.png.45982530b7727e92d608f001c606a4f0.png

image.thumb.png.2e66d3249b90423757bceba104a7545e.png

image.thumb.png.e9ac794c55daf377adc3ffbd3b2c013d.png

image.thumb.png.d1dbec5befb82622d902a1199ab4ffdc.png

I have some chores to attend to again today, but I will try and get some more build time in and make a little more progress in this incredibly slow part of the build so I can continue to torture your sensibilities.

Thanks for looking in.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice work lou, those belts look mighty fine mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Unfortunately I can take no credit for the seat belts other than to cut them out and glue them in and the choice of making them laying about in a random pattern rather than the neat crossed layout that the instructions show. They are PE provided in the kit.

Thanks for the complement though. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Doesn't matter, Lou. They look good. very nice work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Lovely detailing, Lou.  It does look weird seeing the pilot's right hand holding the top of the stick in mid-air.   I realize what you're doing but it still looks weird.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice, detailing is super,  methinks you do yourself an injustice 😊👏

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thanks Ken, Mark, and Edward. Hopefully the rest of the cut and paste stuff will look just as good, but I have a couple of other slow projects to add before I can close this part of the helicopter up and move on to faster paced sections of the build.

I know the look of the pilot just holding the handle of the cyclic looks strange but there is a hole on the bottom to insert the control stick. It is pretty nice really as it allows the pilots hand to be completely around the grip. What is strange is that they didn't do the same with his right hand and I will have to match it up with the shaft of the collective when the time comes. I am holding off on the cyclic, collective and foot pedals until the last so that they don't get broken in all of the handling

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

27 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Thanks Ken, Mark, and Edward. Hopefully the rest of the cut and paste stuff will look just as good, but I have a couple of other slow projects to add before I can close this part of the helicopter up and move on to faster paced sections of the build.

I know the look of the pilot just holding the handle of the cyclic looks strange but there is a hole on the bottom to insert the control stick. It is pretty nice really as it allows the pilots hand to be completely around the grip. What is strange is that they didn't do the same with his right hand and I will have to match it up with the shaft of the collective when the time comes. I am holding off on the cyclic, collective and foot pedals until the last so that they don't get broken in all of the handling

Sounds like a good plan lou.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

What OC said.. a good plan.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hal and Eddie look dapper in those designer helmets!   they look much better......looks like you did some fine tuning.  the belts are a really nice touch.   very good job there good buddy! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Denis

I did their helmets a bright color as just like in real life some of us were able to get our helmets painted with something that was colorful and had some meaning to us personally. I think part of it was to just own something personal that was not OD in color! For some it was just a name or possibly small picture or something, others were full blown paint jobs. I went the latter because it adds some color to an otherwise somewhat drab model. There will be a ton of OD by the time this is all over. In an ideal world the pilot's helmet would have been a red white and blue American flag but that is beyond my skills and I would have just messed it up. I abandoned the idea of a Confederate battle flag on the co-pilot for much the same reason. In addition, even though common back in those days, now that flag is almost considered as controversial as the German Swastika, even though at the time it was a part of at least two state flags and I remember seeing it on at least two helmets during my tour.

It is also kind of strange, but I could not really remember much about the details of anyone's helmet that I flew with regularly, so these helmets are kind of generic.

I have a few other things done over the last few days but not really enough to post pictures about. I think I am almost done with the majority of the cabin and will be moving to the exterior and fuselage and much more rapid progress soon. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

guess I'd better get hump'in on that decal..........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

guess I'd better get hump'in on that decal..........

At the rate I'm going, anytime in the next year or so will be just fine. The nose decal can be the last thing to finish the build and the full build has a LONG way to go. All kinds of secret events to come yet.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

that's the problem with this decal program.......or any program for that matter.   I don't mess with it a lot.  I don't get to discover more 'ins' and 'outs' with it.  a while ago { a year or so} I heard that there was an update for it,  so I ordered it.  come to find out,  it was just additional decal images to work with.  I was already importing all kinds of stuff into it......I didn't need that.....I wanted a solution to the transparency issue with it.  so far,  I've been able to thwart it by using white decal paper for some of the images......as long as they either had white in them,  or a white background.  for a few other instances,  I'm able to change the background to the color of the model,  but the model needs to be done in a solid color....basic color spectrum.  this is where something like photo shop comes in handy.......the color spectrum for these programs are a bit wider.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: