Kia ora

Kiwi John

Hello everyone, greetings from New zealand!

I just found this site less than a week ago, and I'd just like to say that I've found it very impressive. For the record, I've never built a model wooden ship in my life, I have an interest in doing so and think I came to the right place!

Funnily enough, while browsing pages upon pages of knowledge here I've felt like an apprentice again - surrounded by master craftsmen, and talented journeymen - thi has reinforced my confidence and interest in giving it a go.

However, I thought I'd do the responsible thing and I read ccoyle's post 'For Beginners -- A Cautionary Tale' . Wow... this guy described me perfectly, and presented a logical case of why I shouldn't start something.

But I like to chances. I'm the type of guy who will get really tipsy, and decide to ride my horse home. and if I see a sexy lass on the way home, I'd call out to here for sure (Witches can't cross running water right?).

Anyhow, I've found a 2nd hand kitset for sale for a great price. I'll let you know what happens.

John.

Welcome!  Your horse has brought you to the right place.  Best of luck on your first build!

:sign:

Discretion being the better part of valor, I won't say anything else other then to suggest you start a build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome. 
Wife and I were in your town about three weeks ago. Was impressed by the models at the Maritime Museum ... great stuff. 
AADAF109-CA90-491D-A592-00346D854BC5.thumb.jpeg.899494f803b2e54c0962cce761b9c520.jpeg

1D94B46F-9FF7-4D55-9772-C8E86E8B7C0A.thumb.jpeg.d8b8c3eb4b6a1b12f62f17adf83d7bb0.jpeg

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

Welcome  mate

What I did was buy about  4 books  first  one called  Frank mastini  modelling  for  beginners  then got a beginners  kit  from  modellers  central   called  the adventure  by amati  with a tools  kit in the  price  + 5 dvds this helped me heaps  

Good luck  cheers snowy 

:722972270:

Good luck and have fun!!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome to MSW!

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome aboard mate! Nice to have another Kiwi on here lurking.

Just an FYI it seems to be perfectly normal for model ship builders to have lots of purchased kits sitting on the shelf ready to build at a later date. So if the kit you buy seems a bit too much, you can always shelve it and buy another!

I’m currently on my first build but already have my next build ready to go and a plan of what future ships I wish to build.

Also, Mighty Ape have a sweet hobby section if there isn’t a model shop close by.

Good luck and I look forward to following your build log.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys 👍

Anyway, I ended up bidding on the auction for the 2nd hand kit I found online... And I won it! The kit itself looks old, the box is open and scruffed up, half the bits could be missing - but thats half the fun right?!

@Duanelaker, thanks for the reference to the horse. It was my poor attempt at humor, and a clue to my build - the Cutty Sark. I was in your neck of the woods in 2011 and remember seeing this awesome tall ship next to the Brooklyn bridge, think it was called the Perking. 

@mtaylor, thanks! I'm just a newbie at this, but starting a build thread might be a good idea. It would be full of mistakes and errors, but it could be something other beginners could learn from right? 

@GrandpaPhil, thanks bud!

@Srodbro, those are some great photos Steve! I'll try to get down the maritime museum soon, I've heard they have a two metre long model of the HMS Orpheus... which I'd love to make a model of in the future. Hope you had a good time while you were here!

@Snow, cheers mate. Funny that you mentioned Frank Mastini! I was given one of his books years ago, and just found it again the other week while doing a clear out. Its about simplified model ship building - and it's a great read. I'll be sure to check out his other books.

@Edwardkenway, thanks for the luck - I'll need it! But hey, it's all about learning new skills and having fun right? Nice spray painting by the way, I had no idea this was version two of MSW!

@markjay, thanks Mark. Your CS build has been an inspiration for me!

Edit: @Jonny 007, I missed your reply before posting. Nice to see another Kiwi on here! I'll be sure to check out your Bounty build. And yeah man, I'll be sure to check out the selection on might ape... thanks for the tip

Edited by Kiwi John

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

I’m a Newbee here too. Started building just two years ago joined MSW recently. You’ll find lots of positive encouragement here. Your right, what matters is learning new skills and having fun. My first tall ship was the Cutty Sark. It was a plastic model, what drew me in was the detail rigging and sails. Sewed my own cloth sails and was hooked. Moving on to my first Vintage Wood Model Ship. 
4CDC6B7B-9CD5-471F-8E5B-A04DCC8208E3.thumb.jpeg.7ed3458b97138c4a4228594ec95ed389.jpeg

Good luck on your first build. Looking forward to seeing your progress, lots of pics please. 😎

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

21 hours ago, Kiwi John said:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys 👍

Anyway, I ended up bidding on the auction for the 2nd hand kit I found online... And I won it! The kit itself looks old, the box is open and scruffed up, half the bits could be missing - but thats half the fun right?!

@mtaylor, thanks! I'm just a newbie at this, but starting a build thread might be a good idea. It would be full of mistakes and errors, but it could be something other beginners could learn from right? 

Well that's only part of what a log will do.  It'll also get you help from other watching the build.  A win-win situation.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

@John Ruy, cheers mate! 

Thats a nice CS you have there, the sails look really good. To me, it looks more like a ship that's being pulled through the ocean than a model! Cool work. Lots of pic's for my build thread? Ok then buddy, and if anyone complains about it, I'll refer them to you 😉:cheers:

@mtaylor, I'm thinking it will be a good idea. BTW, I checked out your La Belle Poule build... I only managed reading the first post and was very impressed/ and over saturated with some cool history and information! I'll be sure to read through the rest of the thread over the weekend 👍

Kia ora  John,

This site brings all the talent of the world to these far flung shores. Always plenty to learn by watching others but I’d suggest the best way is to have a crack and start a build log. You won’t regret it.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:05 PM, Timmo said:

Kia ora  John,

This site brings all the talent of the world to these far flung shores. Always plenty to learn by watching others but I’d suggest the best way is to have a crack and start a build log. You won’t regret it.

Thanks Timmo,

I've had a few delays with TradeMe, and the Billings CS auction I won - but these have been resolved, and I hope to receive the package late this week... The postage price was only $13NZD from Nelson to Auckland - so maybe it will arrive next month 😅

I've also come up with a list of unanswered questions about the Cutty Sark, so maybe I'll start a new research thread - or incorporate them into the build thread? I guess time will tell.

Cheers, Kiwi John

• 3 weeks later...

welcome from another Kiwi.

i am part way through a victory and have had it on the shelf for a bit while i do many home projects. 

hope to be able to get back to it soon 

i understand that the Billings instructions leave a lot to be desired so ask away and im sure that you will get great advice from the master builders here

Edited by Erik A