Medway Longboat 1742 by Diver - FINISHED - 1:24 Scale

Nice job on your Medway Longboat!  You did a good job on the simulated nails.  I am sure you are glad the nailing process is over.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

2 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Nice job on your Medway Longboat!  You did a good job on the simulated nails.  I am sure you are glad the nailing process is over.

My biggest concern was that I might break my 0ne and only #77 drill.  Being patience and stopping when my fingers got tired paid  off.  Very glad I did it, brings life to the hull.  I did manage to put some dings in the planks when trimming the nails but have been able to sand most of them out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 7:04 PM, BobG said:

Any further progress, Bob?

Good evening Bob.  Sorry for taking so long to reply.  In the last few days I have got the urge to get back in the shop.  I just came up from working on the thick and troublesome floor boards.  During the nice weather, most of my off time is spent helping the Happy Gardener and doing house renos, repairs and general up-keep.  I have a birthday coming up and my wife is in the process of ordering the Mast and Rigging kit for me as well as some of the Lee Valley miniature tools.  Thanks for asking and I hope to up date my build log soon.  How did you go about shaping the thick floor boards to fit the frames?  Bob

On 10/22/2021 at 7:04 PM, BobG said:

Any further progress, Bob?

6 hours ago, Diver said:

How did you go about shaping the thick floor boards to fit the frames?  Bob

If I remember correctly, I made a card stock template of the area to be planked kind of by trial and error until it fit rather well and then used that to trace where the notches should be on the floorboards.Then I used a sharp #11 blade to cut the notches and some small files to clean up cuts and tweak the fit while checking the fit frequently as i went along. Remember to make a bevel in the notches where the floorboards meet the frames also.

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 3 weeks later...

A question for my fellow builders.  I am having a heck of a time getting the thick floor boards to lay flat on all the frames.  I have been heating and bending numerous times and no luck yet.  Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance,   Bob the Diver 

19 minutes ago, Diver said:

A question for my fellow builders.  I am having a heck of a time getting the thick floor boards to lay flat on all the frames.  I have been heating and bending numerous times and no luck yet.  Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance,   Bob the Diver 

Hi Bob, can you post some photos of the problem you are having? 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

20 hours ago, Diver said:

I will post some pics tomorrow

Hello Bob.  No need to post pics.  This evening I went into the shop, and soaked the 2 thick floor boards in hot water for 15 minutes. I then wiped them dry and with a bit off hair-dryer heat twisted and bent until they went in almost perfectly.  I have now drilled all the holes for the nails and will install them tomorrow.I will wait until I have installed all the floor boards before I do the WOP.  Your thoughts on that appreciated. Bob

• 2 weeks later...

There is a technique called CA Welding. Since CA is activated by moisture. If you combine CA with Titebond the CA will dry even faster. I use Titebond almost all the time. CA is too fast for me. But there are times, especially when hull planking, when I can't get a clamp where I need it. So I use this method to hold the plank while the PVA glue dries. But I only use a very tiny spot of CA. Similar to Spot welding.

Edited by fnkershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to report on my build.  Have been installing some new doors in the house over the Xmas break and just have not had the energy to go to the shop in the evenings.  I have got the floor boards in now and will be proceeding as per the instructions very soon.  When I have a little more done I will post some pictures.

• 1 month later...

Finally got back in the shop and  installed the floor boards.  With out a doubt I found this the most challenging step in the build so far.  I had a difficult time getting the glue to take in some areas.  I purchased new glue today and assembled the platforms. I will install the reinforcing pieces later this evening and make the templates.  The Admiral bought me the Dremel drill press last year, so today I chucked a piece of dowel and turned a belaying pin.  I made a small chiesell out of a drill rod and it worked very well.  Hope to have more shop time now that the Honey Due list is complete1951525713_share13.thumb.JPG.305c4b9e0c9e46f3c5898ebc21b0e834.JPG2101073462_share33.thumb.JPG.8dda1737d9c3314c8bb6fbfd4f27126d.JPG

share2~4.JPG

The floor boards look good, Bob. I remember these were tough for me to get them to fit nicely too. Nice work!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

That looks very nice, Bob. The wide parts are a bear to work due to their thickness. The other laminated floorboard parts were much easier to work. BTW, those belaying pins look great! Another task that I’ve never done and will be interesting when I get there. Fine job you’re doing!

Best Regards …. Rick

Nice job on the floorboards.  They look perfect.  For my belaying pins, I used the following diagram:

W-BP-diagram.jpg.3550a6baa290364fed40f61d8918809d.jpg

Ryland

9 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Nice job on the floorboards.  They look perfect.  For my belaying pins, I used the following diagram:

W-BP-diagram.jpg.3550a6baa290364fed40f61d8918809d.jpg

I will attempt to do the belaying pins with this method, to Chucks dimensions.  The one I did with the hardwood dowel was an excuse to try out the Dremel drill stand as a lathe.

• 4 months later...

Nothing to report on the build at this time.  In March we decided to sell our house and down size.  We listed the house and it was sold in four days, way over asking.  I have set up a shop in our new digs, but it is considerably smaller, but big enough.  I started to feel unwell on monday, and was down and out by tuesday morning.  Did the Covid test and am positive.  I am triple vaxxed and still managed to catch this horrible virus.  Hope to be better soon.

Sorry to hear of your health problems.  Take care of yourself.  Your Medway can wait til you feel better.  I have known a lot of people that have had Covid in the past several weeks.  It will not go away.

Ryland

Best wishes, take care of yourself.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks all for the well wishes.. This virus has now taken down the Admiral.  I do not know if it is our age, but this really knocks us down. I have had a healthy life for the most part but this takes every bit of energy out of us and ever joint aches, no appetite, and fever that could heat a house.  I urge all people to follow all COVID protocalls and stop the spread of this virus.

Hang in there, Bob! The older we get the harder these viruses are on us. I'm vaccinated and double boosted, as are my in-laws, and they still came down with it. Keep an eye on that fever and don't hesitate to seek further care if it gets too high.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: