Academy 1/48 AH64 A

Hi ok so I ordered a gundam as some relief from the Cutty Sark bare with me, after scanning the stash for some light relief nothing took my fancy so I ordered a gundam (never built one before and it looked fun)

Would be delivered by the 6th, now it's the 30th rescan of the stash, hey I've never built a helicopter before, how hard could that be, might even be fun.

Answer very hard, anyway onwards and upwards.

IMG-2707.jpg

IMG-2705.jpg
IMG-2702.jpg
IMG-2703.jpg
IMG-2706.jpg

pretty knarly chopper you got there KP ;)   the interior looks really good......looks like you've done the paint to the exterior as well.  a very good start  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I will  take a seat  cant have enough choppers  and Apache is rather excellent.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Of course I will be following this build just like I have done your others kp. I am certain it is going to be quite the looker when you are done. Welcome to the rotor head club!

image.png.2e974fc808db6d2094133f53b6d9cb9e.png

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ah, nothing like a well-armed gunship... it means victory.  To sort of paraphrase.   I'm in.  I've not seen this kit but will follow along.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well this was supposed to be light relief from the Cutty Sark I think I will be doing the Cutty as light relief from this. What an awful kit I thought sorting the mistakes my brother did on the Cutty was a challenge that was a walk in the park.

Anyway here is progress so far.

IMG-2726.jpg
IMG-2727.jpg
IMG-2725.jpg
IMG-2730.jpg
IMG-2731.jpg
IMG-2728.jpg
IMG-2729.jpg
IMG-2733.jpg
IMG-2734.jpg
IMG-2732.jpg

So what kinds of issues have you ran into KP?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Anyway what a load of rubbish this kit is (wish I hadn't started it)

After herculean efforts to get the landing gear pods to fit I thought I had it then after priming the b#$$%y thing pinged apart again.

The cockpit glass is a stupid 3 part thing which I managed eventually to glue together only to find after priming it had pinged apart again (I only hope that was after the primer and the cockpit isn't full of primer.

IMG-2739.jpg
IMG-2740.jpg
IMG-2738.jpg

Edited by kpnuts

Despite the kits faults, you are making a nice job of it!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Yep KP  as Edward said  despite the pit falls of the kit  you are getting there,  some kits certainly test of skills and patience.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I found issues with the Academy Titanic.......one of these days,  I'll get back to it and try to resolve them.   sadly,  your finding them here with this kit :(   your not doing too badly with it though......looks pretty good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Kits like this should be banned.

I like to think I'm an ok modeller but I'm really struggling with this pig of a kit, if I were a youngster with no experience in modelling I would have given up and probably never touched a kit again.

Dont these kit manufacturers realise when they release a kit like this they're shooting themselves in the foot, every new modeler is potentially lost with a kit like this.

I'm just glad I decided before I started building it I was going to depict it blowing up.

IMG-2846.jpg
IMG-2847.jpg
IMG-2844.jpg
IMG-2845.jpg

2 hours ago, kpnuts said:

I'm just glad I decided before I started building it I was going to depict it blowing up.

Just goes to prove my theory.....

Models should to be treated as ladies, it's easier to understand them that way, there are some where you have to go back time after time for more, those you got to tease and tease the beauty out of, those that are just simply there for you, those who have to be shown who's boss, and finally those that wind up in divorce/judgment/cemetery. (shelf of doom/trash can/binned)

Looks to me like you have her well in hand..... {chuckle}

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Some manufacturers should just be avoided, I guess. I've found a site where they collect inputs from a number of modelers to figure out the best kit for a given scale for a MacHeed Widget or whatever. They rate, aircraft, armor, scifi and ships (not many ships. These guys are a/c and armor folks, primarily).  I looked up the Apache in this scale and they recommend the Hasegawa kit. Pays to search around for reviews and build articles. Check this out: https://www.cybermodeler.com/special/topgun.shtml

I also like Scalemates because you can find out if a kit is available. https://www.scalemates.com/ and gives you an idea of the aftermarket goodies for said kit. I'm starting to look for an A-7D; what I wanted to fly. before the USAF decided otherwise.

Hope other guys read this and check out these sites before they dive into a kit and find out it's a lemon.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

it's too bad.........looks like a neat model.  had a few myself.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Despite the issues you have had with the poor fit -  you are doing a great job,  I love the paint finish.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Ah.. exploding bits.  Nice work on race car.  You captured a moment it time.  It's best to see them from the outside than from the inside.  From inside usually requires a change of underwear.  I'll decline to answer how I know.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The crew of that Apache will, too. Aviation is hours of boredom interspersed with moments of stark terror.😲 DO NOT ASK me how I know. And no, I've never bailed out of an airplane. ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

don't do that....you would have had to bail out over the loo!   good you didn't evolve into pyrotechnics.......you'd only be able to do it once ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

5 hours ago, Canute said:

The crew of that Apache will, too. Aviation is hours of boredom interspersed with moments of stark terror.😲 DO NOT ASK me how I know. And no, I've never bailed out of an airplane. ;)

Isn't the first rule of aviation "Don't bail out of a perfectly good airplane"?  If it's flying... it's a good airplane.  The second rule (the one I learned) "don't bail out of a helicopter)".   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

21 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Isn't the first rule of aviation "Don't bail out of a perfectly good airplane"?  If it's flying... it's a good airplane.  The second rule (the one I learned) "don't bail out of a helicopter)".   

And make sure if its out of a heli  you are actually falling and not  going the other way.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

24 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

And make sure if its out of a heli  you are actually falling and not  going the other way.

OC.

Right, beware the egg beaters, both the big one on top that the little at the back.

We did do drops of recon troops from 1000-2000 feet up.  That wouldn't be bad.   It would be bad bailing out of one falling out of the sky.   They did for about a year, issue all fliers in the -53's parachutes.   No one ever wore them, just tossed them in the fuselage and returned them to the paraloft we we got back.  They had elaborate plans on how we were supposed to do this which, if one thought about it, the pilot might as well just try to land it.  The method was to pull the nose up and those that could (the crew, any passengers were up the proverbial creek) went out the back.  Then the pilot would roll the bird slightly and the co-pilot would go out his window.  Then the pilot would roll it so his side was down and exit his window.    And then were was issue that the pilots couldn't wear chutes in the seats or get out the windows with them on.   Just a few minor details.....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

2 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Right, beware the egg beaters, both the big one on top that the little at the back.

We did do drops of recon troops from 1000-2000 feet up.  That wouldn't be bad.   It would be bad bailing out of one falling out of the sky.   They did for about a year, issue all fliers in the -53's parachutes.   No one ever wore them, just tossed them in the fuselage and returned them to the paraloft we we got back.  They had elaborate plans on how we were supposed to do this which, if one thought about it, the pilot might as well just try to land it.  The method was to pull the nose up and those that could (the crew, any passengers were up the proverbial creek) went out the back.  Then the pilot would roll the bird slightly and the co-pilot would go out his window.  Then the pilot would roll it so his side was down and exit his window.    And then were was issue that the pilots couldn't wear chutes in the seats or get out the windows with them on.   Just a few minor details.....

Upss    didn't sound good   kind of a rock and hardplace situation.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

The second rule (the one I learned) "don't bail out of a helicopter)".

We always figured we would use the Bill Cosby method of surviving a helicopter crash. Wait until just at impact and jump up! (You have to be familiar with the old Bill Cosby comedy records.) 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mark, one of those "unintended consequences".

The tankers had parachutes for us crew dogs, pax were out of luck. We were supposed to blow the crew entry door in the forward fuselage, which shot a panel down below the fuselage. We opened the deck grate, after donning our harnesses & chutes and jumping thru the hole. The panel was supposed to disrupt airflow so we wouldn't hit the belly of the tanker. :rolleyes:  Don't know if anybody ever did it, probably similar the the helo bailout procedures. The Phantom had superb Martin-Baker ejection seats.

Ken

17 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Upss    didn't sound good   kind of a rock and hardplace situation.

OC.

Or rock and a meat grinder.

15 hours ago, lmagna said:

We always figured we would use the Bill Cosby method of surviving a helicopter crash. Wait until just at impact and jump up! (You have to be familiar with the old Bill Cosby comedy records.) 

I remember that one.  There was also the rule for falling elevators... jump up just before impact.  What?  How would you know?

7 hours ago, Canute said:

Mark, one of those "unintended consequences".

The tankers had parachutes for us crew dogs, pax were out of luck. We were supposed to blow the crew entry door in the forward fuselage, which shot a panel down below the fuselage. We opened the deck grate, after donning our harnesses & chutes and jumping thru the hole. The panel was supposed to disrupt airflow so we wouldn't hit the belly of the tanker. :rolleyes:  Don't know if anybody ever did it, probably similar the the helo bailout procedures. The Phantom had superb Martin-Baker ejection seats.

I wonder if the guys who came up with those ideas on exiting every tried it? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: