HMS Victory by Emmet - Corel - 1:98 - as she appeared after Trafalgar in 1805 - Second wooden ship build

Yes another American who wanted to build Victory before even knowing about MSW.  I actually did not realize how popular an idea it was.  But my knowledge of history Included Nelson at Trafalgar and it never went out of my mind.

I decided to purchase the Corel Victory kit from Cornwall at the suggestion of Keith. I will not be posting very much for a while. It will take time to size this kit up and understand within reason where I am going. Any ideas about starting are welcome.

Moving.thumb.jpg.486f3776077959d0a9c1786e3cee49f8.jpgCover.thumb.jpg.1b2736e45ac4b22cac0e24277dcab09d.jpg

On 5/2/2020 at 12:01 PM, Emmet said:

Yes another American who wanted to build Victory before even knowing about MSW.  I actually did not realize how popular an idea it was.  But my knowledge of history Included Nelson at Trafalgar and it never went out of my mind.

I decided to purchase the Corel Victory kit from Cornwall at the suggestion of Keith. I will not be posting very much for a while. It will take time to size this kit up and understand within reason where I am going. Any ideas about starting are welcome.

Moving.thumb.jpg.486f3776077959d0a9c1786e3cee49f8.jpgCover.thumb.jpg.1b2736e45ac4b22cac0e24277dcab09d.jpg

I neglected to a dd that I ordered this kit for Cornwall on Monday 4/27/2020 and received it on 4/7/2020 as I drove up to my house in Sandwich, NH

Note: Did a complete inventory of most items (little pieces will be estimated).  Much of the timber is simply thrown in the box and needed to be organized as to size, type (color), length and cross section dimensions. At the same time I will get an idea of what goes where.62169236_Inventory1.thumb.jpg.64a21928089b015e30d895c7b0350b34.jpg

Inventory 3.jpg

Please feel free to comment on my Frame plan.
Framework--Tentative plan

1. Make Keel holder-consider angle iron along with keel ‘sandwich”

2. Insert Frame (14) between Main keel part and stern section of keel.

3. Gather parts 1-26 together-check size against drawings.

Note: Fit everything together before gluing

5. Fit frames 1 thru 14 and longway beam (26)

6. Having made sure of alignment and fairness remove (18) the upper deck and     (19) the lower deck.
7 Maybe It is time to glue 1-14 and the (26) longways beams.

8. Glue (20) the lower deck and lay the (27) boards (0.6 x 4 mm). fig 3c

9. Glue Deck beams (28 5x5) on tips of frames 4-11.fig 3d

10. Glue upper and poop decks (18,19)  and plank with (27 .6x4). 

Note: Instructions say”the stern area of the sector (18) to be impracticable thereafter“-not sure what it means but be careful.

11. Also the 2 filling panels (21) between frames (11 and 12)  beneath the poop deck  fig 3c.

12. Shape the stern and bow fillers-MSW has dowel of pins used to be able to put the fillers in temporarily and take them out for more work,  Then glue when ready.  All phases are shown in fig 3c,e and f.

13. Talk of alignment her. I would think I should do this before I glue anything.
    Suggest running boards to make sure the fit properly to the frames and 
    make the necessary adjustments (perhaps adding pieces of wood to     frame that is not large enough.
At any rate the frames 1-7 need to be tpered towards the bow and the other frames tapered towards the stern.
Special attention to fillers and frame 14-as they say it the final curve of the shaft.   Fig 3f

14.Join to the structure the 3 stern mounts (22,23,24)  fig 3 g
15. Prepare 2 sets of half gun supports from (31) 5x15 mm that fit between frames.  The only problem here is where the gun seems to be in the middle of the frame. It would appear that you have to drill a hole in the frame. Also a hole in the frame has to be made to hold the gun support or, perhaps, just make a small hole to hold pin at the rear of the gun.  
In the case where the gun is to the side of the frame it seems ok to just make the gun support shorter.  An idea here would help.

482359128_Inventory2.thumb.jpg.bf71438e2137c996885faa573aa4f2c3.jpg

884951898_MakingKeelholderChipboard.thumb.jpg.2eecbbcc47ca1d058221ca7a4ca01c4e.jpg

Working on stern-I want to recognize Wallace and JPettt for the excellent detail they have on their sites.  Viewing their work helped me understand how to approach this stern area. In turn I hope my detail will help others.9732363_filingpoints.jpg.d418d86f0b02be16f99fcf6032b75eff.jpg

1335372501_filing17sternpc.jpg.1b04ce4db68e62518b848e5d36ebdac7.jpg

bottomed.jpg.cbd63c1c7f84e3b82037b87d3d5a9710.jpg

1092882315_fitting17intoslot.thumb.jpg.788240b86c597a9d146b706a944e08e2.jpg286034775_fitting17intoslot2.thumb.jpg.7095796f9f8f5bf8eb096ba57c848bb9.jpg

985695814_frameencroachment.jpg.1c82e972a03830cb31ca3069be2a463d.jpg

No matter what I do I cannot get rid of this picture-please skip- it is a repeat of one above.

filing points.jpg1283672484_Pooplook.jpg.09d2dce2124d0ef489299a4ec5e9a8ab.jpg747381263_Testedslots.jpg.017f76bdde0fbff8d2790f8a02f831ec.jpg

1232082744_frameandkeelmarks.jpg.679d01fa5e17e82c660926f608ac421d.jpg

files.jpg.0334d8a9481b0206e68625e13af65050.jpg

1201226145_sanding13.jpg.973d132d49b51a684372d6073bbe80f4.jpg923400967_paperforlooseslot.jpg.f691e7a0951639a93807e79ba00b4759.jpg

822969441_Poopalign.jpg.7b4ddf5e98e4319aa5dd7e9635526773.jpg

Edited by Emmet
adding media

This is Emmet.

Welcome aboard. This will be quite a venture. I have about 6 months to work on Victory after which we go South for the winter.  I plan to do the Santa Maria while away from home.  I enjoy building and feel no need for haste.  This website makes it possible for people like us to reach out and try something difficult.  I just finished La Nina by Amati. Cornwall sent this much faster than I thought I would get it. I thought I might be working on Santa Maria but that is not going to happen.

Hey Emmet - I'm really looking forward to following along on this build.  It will be a character builder, something you already have plenty of!  Hope your trip home went well and you are ready to go.

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

hello Emmet....I completed this model a long time ago....some pics exist in the completed models section but I didn't do a build log...….it took me about 10 years from start to finish but there were big breaks during that time.....enjoy.

This was my first build and still one of my favorites, in the days before internet. The wood was good, the plans needed understanding and the Longridge book a necessity. Apart from a Dremel drill, work by hand tools. But then I counted years not months of work. Be prepared for undoing mistakes, which is easier if things are glued later or use PVA which can be "undone". Minor points- I'm glad that I did not paint the hull and regret using the metal port frames. Have fun, share and ask when in doubt.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

welcome to the victory club Emmet- best suggestion is to read the instructions 20 times then some more before you touch any wood🧐.

building Victory will definitely take your brain to a new dimension- enjoy:cheers:.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

I still cannot believe Cornwall sent the ship in three days. I will be doing a lot of studying of yours and others work as well.  I have only done one little boat but hopefully my patience and diligence will stand the task ahead.

1 hour ago, stuglo said:

This was my first build and still one of my favorites, in the days before internet. The wood was good, the plans needed understanding and the Longridge book a necessity. Apart from a Dremel drill, work by hand tools. But then I counted years not months of work. Be prepared for undoing mistakes, which is easier if things are glued later or use PVA which can be "undone". Minor points- I'm glad that I did not paint the hull and regret using the metal port frames. Have fun, share and ask when in doubt.

Thanks Stuglo. 

I am hoping for all the help I can get. Can you do victory without painting?  I have seen where others did not use the frames but just cut out the holes.  I will have to look hard at other builds. Why didn't you like the metal ports?

Emmet I'm sure you will do as well with  Victory as you did Nina! I shall watch you do this if I may

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

hello Emmet....I completed this model a long time ago....some pics exist in the completed models section but I didn't do a build log...….it took me about 10 years from start to finish but there were big breaks during that time.....enjoy.

Thank you.

It seems to me that the work you do on any part of a ship is satisfaction in itself.  It is not like reading a book which demands you finish to know what happened.  

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Hey Emmet - I'm really looking forward to following along on this build.  It will be a character builder, something you already have plenty of!  Hope your trip home went well and you are ready to go.

I sure hope it is not me doubling up on these pages. I probably did it to myself.  I will be behind you but it will be fun.

Will see Emmet! I’m sure you will make good time.  But for these beauties, making sure it is right (e.g., Y.T.) is more important than the speed we are going at.

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

I, too, am building HMS Victory.  But, I am taking a different direction.  Back in the late 1970s, my wife and I were stationed in LaMaddelena, Sardinia, Italy. She bought for me my first wood kit, HMS Victory by Aeropiccola (now defunct). Now retired from the Navy and from teaching, I am tackling this model.  Although it is a basic and simple model, I am adding many details as I go, trying to get a reasonable model of the ship before Trafalgar.  The model is small, working out to about 1/180.

Anyway, good luck with your Corel kit, and for relocating to New England!  I look forward to your build!

Bill 

9 hours ago, Emmet said:

Thanks Stuglo. 

I am hoping for all the help I can get. Can you do victory without painting?  I have seen where others did not use the frames but just cut out the holes.  I will have to look hard at other builds. Why didn't you like the metal ports?

They look artificial and do not represent the real thing. The ports can be lined if not painted. Check out some virtual tours on u-tube or better still visit the ship ! Generally speaking I like the wood look and to see my work.  I paint badly but certain models, look better painted eg Diane and Agamemnon, others such as Woppen, only the upper  stern and side decoration. Like much with this hobby, its very personal.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

6 hours ago, stuglo said:

They look artificial and do not represent the real thing. The ports can be lined if not painted. Check out some virtual tours on u-tube or better still visit the ship ! Generally speaking I like the wood look and to see my work.  I paint badly but certain models, look better painted eg Diane and Agamemnon, others such as Woppen, only the upper  stern and side decoration. Like much with this hobby, its very personal.

Thanks for your thinking.  When I get to the ports I will make a determination but I favor your point of view.  When I was speaking about painting I meant the Victory.  I live in the US so seeing the real thing is not too easy.  I like stain which is what I used on La Nina.  In that case it seems historically correct.  I did have to use some paint because I was so messy with the super glue.  I hope I do not have to use it again. The problem I had was the dimensions were so small and I did not shape them ahead of time.  That will change for my future jobs.

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Hey Emmet - Be sure to check out Wallace’s Corel Victory...  He has a lot of detail in there for you!

image.jpeg.a77ef1917e9e93640dcdf6e4b0029fc6.jpeg

Thank you

Wallace mentions Jpett and I bookmarked both.  It is great havng people who suggest places that will help.

20 hours ago, Emmet said:

I ordered this kit for Cornwall on Monday 4/27/2020 and received it on 4/7/2020 as I drove up to my house in Sandwich, NH

Wow! That was quick, you received it 20 days before you ordered it. ☺️ 😇

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

On 5/3/2020 at 8:31 AM, RussR said:

Wow! That was quick, you received it 20 days before you ordered it. ☺️ 😇

image.png.2bc87a8bf423082edd9a513e72196be1.pngI am in the dark.  It was 4/30.  The UPS guy had  to wait for me to turn the electric on so I could open the garage.

Edited by Emmet
remove double

hi Emmet- didn't notice new info added- best to put any new update pics in the reply to topic as opposed to editing existing entries as people wont realise there is anything new- looking good and well done with the fix- the poop deck will need held down as it curves in 2 planes (mine did). i usually use masking tape wrapped round the deck and frames 3-4 times then leave for a few days till the wood glue cures.

Keith

Thanks Keith

Trying to negotiate and website seems more difficult in building a ship. Right now I am dry fitting everything to be sure that all pieces are aligned With respect to the big slut I wanted to do something where I could put the piece in and out.

The idea you gave me about the poop deck is the kind of help I need.

On 5/2/2020 at 12:03 PM, Emmet said:

I neglected to a dd that I ordered this kit for Cornwall on Monday 4/27/2020 and received it on 4/7/2020 as I drove up to my house in Sandwich, NH

Keith just told me I have to enter my media here in order for members to know I added content.  I thought it made more sense to keep all of the pictures of my build in order.  I hope I do a better job of building the ship than I have with this website.

At any rate I have a bunch of pics on my build.

Right on Keith. Well I am not going ahead until I am satisfied with the certainty of the locations of the frames.  I see some builders use blocks but that seems wild.  I should be able to measure the frames distance and be sure of squareness with a simpler approach.I do not have any lego blocks but I will come up with a way of making sure that the frames stay where they are supposed to be when I glue them.  Perhaps putting a wood band across, making a hole in the frame, gluing and then putting the frame back with the band being reinstalled making sure of the holes in the bands-just thinking.

I was going to say that the distance between the slots on the keel are slightly different for each space.