Best method to drill holes

I am working on my first ship model which has a solid hull. I have been using an electric drilI and found it difficult to accurately drill holes. The kit required drilling of masts at two different angles and even the precise position of the hawse cheeks were a challenge.  What is the method that would produce more accurate drilling?  I am not opposed to purchasing a rotary tool drill guide or even a small drill press. 

Current Build

18th Century Armed Longboat-Model Shipways

Completed Build

Lady Eleanor-Vanguard Models

King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

Jeff,    Great question and I bet there are several ways folks here have found that work for them.   If you have a Dremel or similar drill, they are far easier to control.  For the mast holes, you can make a guide out of scrap wood with the angle that you want to drill a pilot hole, then follow it up with your larger drill as the Dremel or such won't take more than about a 1/8" drill bit or perhaps a larger bit with a 1/8" shank.    Pilot holes are always a good idea when the final diameter is to be up there in size.  For the hawse holes, not so easy, but again, a Dremel type drill and pilot holes should help.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

For solid hulls and masts -  before the deck is laid  - an oversize hole that covers the rake angle zone and approaches the depth to the top of the keelson.  Then, after the deck is laid - a spike ( the cut off point of a ten penny nail ) at the heel of the mast will secure the bottom and functioning mast wedges can fine tune the rake.  

Other holes,  a collection of pin vises and something like a Dremel 8050 (needs additional collets)

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

2 hours ago, vaddoc said:

But a drill press is a great thing to have.

But that way leads to madness and the dreaded "toolaholic" syndrome.  If one becomes a toolaholic, abandon all hope.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Although I have totally succumbed to the dreaded syndrome, I do not regret it.  I would find it near impossible to do a POF scratch build without a drill press.  I also doubt that I could get enough use from one on a kit build to justify what I spent on it. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Usable power tools have come down in price over the years.  My first stationary power tool was a no name drill press.  50 years later I still use it almost daily regardless of the project that I am working on.  I believe that I paid $100 to $300 dollars for it new.  Today in 2020 inflated dollars a bench top drill press bought from a bog box home improvement store will cost less than $100.

Of course, specialty tool dealers advertise drill presses selling for more than $1000 but the less than $100 model will probably be adequate for most model builders.  

About the  time that I bought the drill press, I received a Dremel type rotary tool as a present.  I still have it but rarely use it.  The drill press is the go to tool.

For drilling where I cannot use the drill press, I have a Mincraft hand held pistol grip drill hooked up to a variable frequency power supply.  Unlike the Dremel type rotary tool it has a Jacobs Chuck.  Unfortunately it is no longer made.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

The Dremel 4300 now comes standard with a 3 jaw chuck instead of using the collets.  Most other Dremel rotary tools can can use the 3 jaw chuck which can be purchased as an option. Thinking the Dremel might be a good and cost effective way to drill holes in ship models. 

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

9 hours ago, Jeff5115 said:

Thinking the Dremel might be a good and cost effective way to drill holes in ship models. 

Not really, if used without a drill press stand. Dremels are great for grinding and cutting, but much less so for drilling. It's not egonomically designed for drilling. The problem becomes more apparent the smaller the drill bit diameter becomes. The weight of the Dremel motor and the way it has to be held makes holding the drill bit at any constant angle (e.g. 90 degrees) difficult. With small bits, a little bit of wobble and the bit is probably going to snap in two. Additionally, given the weight distribution, putting a bit exactly where you want it can be quite difficult for the same reason. The rigidity of the drill press is its greatest value.

Even though I have a couple of drill presses, when I'm not drilling repetitive holes in a row or where using a drill press isn't convenient, more often than not I use a pin vise or spiral drill to make small holes. https://www.amazon.com/SE-849PDS-Spiral-Drill-Spring/dp/B001HBY8KE  https://www.micromark.com/Pin-Vise-Drill-Bit-Set?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwbuNtdiv6QIVsiCtBh16Ug0nEAQYAyABEgIuKPD_BwE https://www.grainger.com/product/39EP70?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwbuNtdiv6QIVsiCtBh16Ug0nEAQYASABEgIoAfD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIwbuNtdiv6QIVsiCtBh16Ug0nEAQYASABEgIoAfD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275552!!!g!470847567000! At fifteen or twenty-five bucks, it don't get much cheaper than that.

Instead of buying a low-quality Asian mini-drill press, one might also consider buying a decent Dremel motor and a Vanda-Lay Industries drill press or milling machine that holds a Dremel motor. In that fashion, you have a drill press, or a mill, and a separate Dremel motor for other applications. https://www.vanda-layindustries.com/ (Don't buy the Dremel brand drill press holder. It lacks the necessary stability.)

drill_press_display_1_med.jpg     mill_display1.JPG    sawing_angle_1.JPG   mill_sanding_3.JPG   

sawing_w_mill_1.JPG   scarph_joint_1.jpg    cutoff_saw_display1.jpg   y_table_milling_TRIMMED.jpg

Vanda-Lay has recently expanded their product line with their Acra Mill Plus. I just have their drill press, which I often use with the Dremel turned sideways as just a "Dremel holder" so I can have both hands free for polishing and grinding tasks. It's plenty good for small work and quite accurate. (I have a full-size drill press, as well.) The Acra Mill Plus will do milling and now has attachments for use as a lathe and circular saw, although the cost does add up as you add optional attachments. The real limitation of this tool system is the Dremel motor, which depends upon speed rather than torque and therefore has power limitations. These aren't replacements for serious dedicated highly accurate machine tools, but they come close enough for modeling work at a much lower price point. 

For a few bucks more, forget the Dremel motor and spring for a Foredom flex shaft tool.  https://www.foredom.net/product-category/flex-shaft-tools/  (Beware of the Asian knock-offs for a third the price.) These are the "gold standard" for rotary tool systems and, with proper care, will be enjoyed by your grandson long after you're gone. Vanda-Lay tells me they can provide the holder parts which will hold a one-inch diameter Foredom handpiece in their machining systems instead of any of the Dremel and other moto-tool motors. 

Now, a Foredom flex shaft machine and the Vanda-Lay Acra Mill and all its attachments will set you back somewhere in the neighborhood of a grand, which ain't chump change, but I don't know a less expensive option for a high quality fully-capable modeling machine shop, nor a more compact one. (Their drill press is $134.95) and they have a free shipping deal now, I believe.) There are more powerful and more highly accurate dedicated machines with greater complexity, but in comparison, I think the Vanda-Lay system really does give you the most bang for your buck and you can buy the various attachments over time as you grow into it. 

Usual disclaimer: I don't have any financial interest in Vanda-Lay. I just have found them to be a high quality product for what they are and their personal service is as close as my keyboard or phone. Nice people. Small family business. A lot like Jim Byrnes' products and service.

Edited by Bob Cleek

Just an observation on the drill press stand for a Dremel.  Stay completely away from the ones with a single pole and plastic mounting parts (usually Chinese made and some sold by good companies as low end product).  Everything may line up good before you're ready to drill the hole, but the thing will flex just from rotating the handle and once the bit hits the wood... all bets are off.   I have one still sitting in the corner of the my workshop to remind me about buying "cheap".

The Vanda-Lay, would be considered the best one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Bob

The Vanda-Lay drill press looks like a great tool.

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber