LA VENUS 1782 by giampieroricci - FINISHED - Scale 1:96 - French Frigate

4 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

Ah. Cool. Thanks. I wonder what the etymology of it is in French. Quarter Galleries are a gallery on the quarter of the ship so that's easy but why "Bottle" in French? 

I think they are called bottles because the early baroque silhouette of French quarter galleries  were reminiscent of elaborately shaped perfume bottles.  The term stuck, through the ages of sail, even as the style of QGs became increasingly austere.  Given their function, however, it seems unlikely that they smelled like perfume.

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

6 hours ago, druxey said:

Your lantern at that scale is quite outstanding! What are you using for glass?

For the glasses of the light I used a simple sheet of very thin transparent plastic. For the door, I used a two-component resin; the result does not satisfy me very much: I had done a test on a similar piece and it had turned out very well; in Italy it is said: not all donuts succeed with a hole!😄

• 2 weeks later...

Giampiero,

the brown coloring of the "light cables" is shown on some authentic period  French ship models of the National Maritime Museum in Paris and on the cover of a modern issue of 

• Traité de la fabrique des manœuvres pour les vaisseaux, ou l'Art de la corderie perfectionné, 1747. I will send a photo later.

IMHO the darker "cables" look like "goudronné" which means soaked with tarry substance like the famous Stockholm Tar. I personally like the soft colour contrast between the shrouds and the "light cables" much better than the drastic Black and White seen on many models.

Greetings and your Venus is very beautiful!

Joachim

Buon Giorno Giampiero,

here are some photos concerning the rigging of French ships of the Venus era. They can be seen: https://www.aamm.fr/modelisme/louis_le_grand

There is ample information on the French Marine Nationale and its ships through the centuries.

79.jpg.2a212a1d024b916d32b945bb45271456.jpg

flore.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg