I use a Bissell Steam Shot steamer to bend my planks on the hull (http://www.walmart.com/ip/14320774?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227010307543&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=30081043150&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem).  I clamp the plank to a straight part of the hull and then use the steamer to bend it to the curved area, clamp it and let it dry.  I gently pull on the end of the plank while running the steamer back and forth until I can feel it bending and keep steaming and gently pulling until it is fully formed around the curve. Remove it when dry and glue in place.  There is no soaking or pre-bending required. 

Good Luck!

Jim

post-1957-0-24293600-1370870713_thumb.jpg

The steamer takes about 3 to 5 minutes to get up to temp..  If you just filled it you have to blow out the air for a few seconds so you get pure steam.  As far as time to bend a plank, there are a number of variables, size/type of wood, size of model and type of hull.  I am building the San Francisco II and steaming a plank into final form takes a few minutes on average.  Some planks bend easier than others.  I hold the nozzle directly against the plank and run it back and forth until the plank bends easily, I go slowly but it never takes very long.  Most of the time you will be steaming the plank while it is away from the other planks and then bending into the hull.  I use white glue so if I am steaming right near another plank I stick a piece of foil under it then pull it out when ready to bend.  Other than protecting the white glue on the previous plank it has no effect on the hull or anything else in the area.  As I said before, after you fill it it will spit water and air for a few seconds before you get a nice clean stem jet.  I spray it into the trash can to clear it.  Hope this helps you.

Jim

Cool idea!

Current Build:

La Nina, Latina - Wood / 1:65

On The Shelf:

San Francisco II, Latina - Wood 1/90,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic  / 1:96 (Remake),     H.M.S. Bounty, Latina - Wood / 1:48,     H.M.S. /Mayflower, Latina - Wood / 1:64,     La Pinta, Latina, Latina - Wood / 1:65,     La Santa Maria, Latina - Wood / 1:65,

Completed:

San Francisco / Cross Section, Latina - Wood / 1:50,     Coastal Submarine, Revell - Plastic / 1:144,     Cutty Sark Wall Plaque, Revell - Plastic / 1:50,     H.M.S. Victory, Revell - Plastic / 1:146,

H.M.S. Bounty, Constructo - Wood / 1:50,     Oseberg, Billings Boats - Wood / 1:25,     Clipper Ship (Sea Witch), Unknown - Wood / 1:46,     U.S.S. Constitution, Revell - Plastic / 1:96,    

Man Of War, Scientific - Wood / 1:50,     Robert E. Lee, Scientific - Wood / 1:45,     PT-109, Revell - Plastic / 1:72,     U.S.S. Enterprise, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,    

R.M.S. Titanic, Revell - Plastic / 1:720,     Numerous other wooded tall ships and boats from companies named: Ideal, Dumas, Pyro.

Hi Great idea does it work better then hair dryer or soldering iron. Thanks Don Farr PS I guess it woud work for some latter bending.

This is not a hair dryer nor a soldering iron... perhaps a hair iron :)

This has worked really nice for me.

post-975-0-53186000-1370899163_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-91473600-1370899178_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-30936900-1370899198_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-14502600-1370899216_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-34299300-1370899228_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I'm using what Ulises uses.  I also have a teapot but the curling iron has all but replaced it.  Faster, cleaner, and less hassle.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Could you check below photos and information for mini iron? I wondering could I use this for plank bending (180C degree)

Without water - steam

180C degree (Stabil)

220v

post-8856-0-26118300-1392125791.jpg

post-8856-0-20398300-1392125792.jpg

Kutay Kara

Istanbul, Turkey

www.modelteknikleri.com

Ongoing Model:

Boshorus Sandal - 1950 - Tershane Model - Turkish Classic Boat

Was amazed that a curling iron worked that well. I think I would be shot if the admiral found out I was using hers to bend wood.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Was amazed that a curling iron worked that well. I think I would be shot if the admiral found out I was using hers to bend wood.

Go buy her a brand new one.. and then take the old one.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi to all

Here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/494-steem-bending-tool-cristikc/

you can see the whole process i used some years ago with the steemer

All the best, Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

This is not a hair dryer nor a soldering iron... perhaps a hair iron :)

This has worked really nice for me.

With no admiral around, I had to buy my own curling iron. 

[MENTAL IMAGE: Shortish male, very short hair (not quite buzz-cut), in-line at KMart (our WalMart) with just a curling iron in hand]

Depending on the thickness and type of wood, I leave my planks to soak anywhere from 30mins up to 8-9 hours.

Then plug your iron in and let it heat up (1-2mins).

Open the spring-piece, poke enough of your plank through to where you wish to begin your bend, then close the clamp.

Give it about 10 seconds.

(To apply some extra pressure, wear an oven-mitt or wrap your hand in clothing.)

Open clamp.

Push plank through further.

Re-apply clamp.

RINSE

REPEAT

BTW: When I first bought it, I actually made a wooden spring. The strips were (I think) 0.5mm X 1mm.

It had four complete (360 degree) coils !!

For real !!

(Kickin' myself for not having saved pics)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

• 2 weeks later...