ST ROCH by MadDogMcQ - FINISHED - Billing Boats

This was my first taste of wooden boat kits and it took me forever to complete because I really struggled with “planking” and I kept losing interest in it, so I would often put it away in storage when it annoyed me. Yes, I was being a bit of a baby – constantly spitting out my dummy! 😂😂😂

Anyway, I finished it (of sorts) just before a divorce came along and in the melee, I lost some final detailing parts. No matter though – the St Roch had given me a good taste of what wooden boat kits were like. I now have a fondness for Billing Boats (despite their less than excellent instructions) and plan to build another in the future – probably the Mary Ann cutter.

Before I get to the photos, I'd like to thank a couple of people who helped me scrape through this build : one was Jim (James H) from MSW who lives in the same village as me and helped me to get my head around my planking issues. Thanks Jim!

The other guy is a Canadian resident called Ted Hamilton who went out of his way to help by travelling to the Vancouver Maritime Museum to take detail photos of the actual boat which is on display there. Thanks Tim!

Okay, so I'll post the pix in a sec – don't laugh (too much) 😄

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

PHOTOS OF THE ACTUAL BOAT IN THE VANCOUVER MARITIME MUSEUM.....

r03.jpg

r04.jpg

r05.jpg

r07.jpg

r08.jpg

r09.jpg

r11.jpg

r12.jpg

r18.jpg

r22.jpg

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Hi Tom,

Your finished product looks fantastic! I'm glad that you shared with us a subject that is not seen too often in modeling forums. Looking forward to seeing your next project.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Wonderful fishing boat! The photos of the real boat shows that we don't need to have a "perfect" planking job to have a nice model of a working vessel either.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Tom, very nice build of the St Roch.
I do understand your frustration with planking this as BB's instruction leaves out a lot of information of how to do.
Glad to see pictures of the real one too.
Which model of Bowers & Wilkins speakers do you have?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

24 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

...Which model of Bowers & Wilkins speakers do you have?

They are the P6's. Before that I had the P5's which were also amazing speakers.  These are the only items of hi-fi that I've never wanted to change over the years. Just superb!! 

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

43 minutes ago, BobG said:

....The photos of the real boat shows that we don't need to have a "perfect" planking job to have a nice model of a working vessel either.

That's what I thought too Bob!  The real boat looks like I planked it 😂😂😂

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

• 1 year later...

I'm not laughing, I think you have built a credible model of St. Roch. I have visited and photographed the ship in the museum and have now started a scratch build of her. BTW, the original ship's outer layer of planking is Australian Ironbark, chosen for ice protection, and was deliberately uncaulked to allow seawater to penetrate to the inner planking to help prevent dry rot. Hence the gaps.

Well done sir!

Regards,

Bruce

Edited by Lecrenb