**NEW** Community Map

Hi all,

A short while ago, we added a map system to MSW. This allowed you to add your location/town/city to the system which would then add a pin on our global map. When we updated MSW, this became redundant as it was incompatible. 

We have now installed Community Maps to MSW, which works in exactly the same way as the previous. This will allow you to find any member close by, who has also added their location. A great tool for finding if there are members near you for joining any clubs perhaps, or kit trades/sales etc. 

This is an entirely voluntary application, meaning you manually place your location pin into the map. You can do this manually or get the system to grab your location and drop the virtual pin for you. 

If members added their location, this could be an invaluable tool as well as a generally interesting feature here at MSW.

This is a members-only facility. To access it, click this dropdown:

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 08.25.17.png

You will also see an extra area on your profile page, like this:

Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 08.28.40.png

If you added your pin to the previous version, you will need to DO IT AGAIN. Our apologies.

Have fun with this. I'm going to spend a little while playing around with it.

So you will know, it just put me in the wrong place. I found a notification in my activity page that I had added a marker (I hadn't) and when I checked it showed my location as NW England.

So you will know, in an earlier post there is an image of a map of the UK (perhaps others saw different locations?) and that is where my marker ended up.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

3 hours ago, bruce d said:

So you will know, it just put me in the wrong place. I found a notification in my activity page that I had added a marker (I hadn't) and when I checked it showed my location as NW England.

So you will know, in an earlier post there is an image of a map of the UK (perhaps others saw different locations?) and that is where my marker ended up.

Bruce

If you only put a country, it will put a marker roughly in the middle of it, so you got the NW.

Our system seems to be adding lots of markers dependent on what members added to profiles.

25 minutes ago, James H said:

If you only put a country, it will put a marker roughly in the middle of it, so you got the NW.

Sorry if I was unclear: I did nothing. A notice appeared in my activity log advising me that I had put a marker in the community map when I had not even visited that page. When I followed the link in the activity log notice it took me to the community map page and a marker for me was already there.

HTH

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

54 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Sorry if I was unclear: I did nothing. A notice appeared in my activity log advising me that I had put a marker in the community map when I had not even visited that page. When I followed the link in the activity log notice it took me to the community map page and a marker for me was already there.

HTH

I see 'UK' as your location under your avatar. I mean that the system looks at your location and translates it to a marker on the map.

3 minutes ago, James H said:

I see 'UK' as your location under your avatar. I mean that the system looks at your location and translates it to a marker on the map.

Ahhhhhhh ....

Well that makes sense. The machine has become self-aware and ... sorry, I just watched a couple of Terminator films. 🤐

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

4 hours ago, James H said:

Just zoom out and scroll the map.

Tried to Zoom out but it seems to not work. Is there another location of the map besides the one in this post?

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

I can scroll around and zoom in and out just fine but when I hover over a pin and/or click on it I cannot find out who that is.  This is on a iMac running Safari 14.0.  Interesting on both the iPad and iPhone it works just fine.

13 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

I can scroll around and zoom in and out just fine but when I hover over a pin and/or click on it I cannot find out who that is.  This is on a iMac running Safari 14.0.  Interesting on both the iPad and iPhone it works just fine.

I have asked the developer about this.

If you double click on a marker, or right click (I think, as I'm on a Mac), I do see who the marker is, but that should be a simple hover function.

James. Thanks for the clarification. Its working fine for me. Interesting thing, all the modelers in Georgia are like all the members of my MGTD replica club. All about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away. Oh! For the record I miss living in Felixstowe. Lived there for 3 years in the late 70's.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

lol now everyone knows where to come and see my bad model making

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

just updated mine to the correct postcode

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat