Do you glue your pins to the rail?

mikiek

I am finishing up Enterprise. All the rigging is in but I have not glued pins in yet as I want to go back and tighten some of the lines. Then I need to add rope coils on the pins. That got me to thinking which is always a dangerous thing. My only completed square rigged model has more than a few droopy lines after 2 years on display. Those pins are glued so there is no way to tighten the lines now without major surgery. This is making me think about NOT gluing the pins on E. This would allow adjustments down the road but the catch seems to be I would have to leave enough rope coming out the underside of the rail so that I could grab hold of it if I needed to tighten. I guess the coils would hide most of that.

I'm wondering how you guys have handled this?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike

I have a few models that have been around for going on 30 years in which the lines are still taut so this is a new one for me.    In any case, I am not sure why you would worry about the pins being glued.   The lines are the only things that need to be removed and tightened as the pins would be kept in place.     Just make sure you have sufficient line coiled as you mention.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have not had a problem with drooping lines. I don't glue pins. I cinch the lines around the pins a couple times as you would securing a regular size vessel then glue with thinned white glue. I then coil a separate line,  place over the pin and glue again with thinned carpenters glue. 

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Well the plan at least to this point was feeding a line thru a hole in the pinrail then jamming the pin in the hole after that. And then of course adding a coil.

I guess if I actually did wrap the rope around the pin with a under and over then glue the rope it might not be too hard to get a rope loose later on. And it probably wouldn't matter then if the pin was glued or not. Unfortunately, at this point that is a lot of rework. I will reassess.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I use the thinned white glue also.  One advantage is that the glue bond can be broken using alcohol.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mike,

I have, on occasion, had to tighten a line that has gone slack for whatever reason and have been successful in finding a location on the line where I could tighten it somewhere away from the pin rail.

Paul

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

On 10/10/2020 at 6:37 PM, mikiek said:

Well the plan at least to this point was feeding a line thru a hole in the pinrail then jamming the pin in the hole after that. And then of course adding a coil.

I guess if I actually did wrap the rope around the pin with a under and over then glue the rope it might not be too hard to get a rope loose later on. And it probably wouldn't matter then if the pin was glued or not. Unfortunately, at this point that is a lot of rework. I will reassess.

I’m at this exact point on my KC build. I too had the lines fed through the holes and then the pin put in holding the line in place. After making a few rope coils I was real unhappy with the look of the coil with the line seemingly going through the coil. I chose to rework the lines and hitch them under and over and dab them with a spot of diluted white glue. E2EE8DC9-0ADA-4F1A-BCD2-17FFFFB4DDF6.jpeg.6425fa2cbb2e863c9a532aae9d63eb49.jpeg 
You can see the 5th line from the left that’s still through the hole. I’m  causing more damage trying to extend and wrap that line than it’s worth. That one is staying through the hole and hopefully after all the coils are in place it will be less noticeable. 

D137119E-7D82-4F59-A869-B0A2EAA2BF69.jpeg.f5643094c84c9aa87a92e5617fbe8b57.jpeg

Now I think the line and lay of the coils looks better. 

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

Thanks for that Rich. I'm also concerned that reworking with a under/over wrap will end up with me doing more harm than good. Can you get away with just one under and one over? Do you have to hold the line in place while the glue dries?

I used a combination of methods. On some I was able to get good angles and wrapping twice under and over in a figure eight pattern was easy. These lines held nice by themselves, and I was able to dab some diluted white glue on them, let it dry then cut the excess.

Others, either because of access angles, or whatever other reasons, didn't behave so well and gave me a hard time. On those, I put a spot of white glue on the underside of the pin, worked the line around the bottom of the pin, through the glue, and let it dry thoroughly  before attempting to wrap it over the top. On the stubborn ones, there's only one wrap, and the wrap around the top is sometimes held in place with a small spot of CA glue. In the event I need to re tension any lines, water does a good job releasing the white glue, and a drop of Model Expo's CA remover works to loosen the ones with CA holding them down. Overall I think it was worth the effort. The lines look much better coming down in front or to the side of the coils. I'm hoping the few on the fore rail I just couldn't get to are not obvious and hidden beneath  all the coils when they are in place. 

Here's a closeup look at the main rail with a few more coils in place. 

coils.thumb.jpg.3437474803cd9fc35f7a3ca6183d1ad8.jpg

Rich

Rich - I think I will probably give what you describe a go. As far as looking better I see your point, but I wonder if this is one of those things that no one notices but the modeller.

Lol. Yes. Just the modeler, and other modelers. Those details are lost on the casual viewer. But we don’t model for the casual viewer. We model for our own self satisfaction. ( well, at least I do). 

Rich

OK - I tried a couple of pins. I will say thank goodness for alligator forceps. They make reaching across a rigged deck a lot easier. They also help with the over/under wrap. Worst part of it all is holding the line tight until the white glue dries. It will be a slow process.

To hold your line tight until the glue dries just leave some extra and use a clip as a weight and dangle it over the outboard side. Also if you are adding multiple lines to say a yard you can keep the tension on all your lines using this method until you have them all adjusted to you liking and the glue all at the same time.

Rich

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"