V-22 Osprey - Italeri 1:48 scale by Popeye the Sailor - finished

Tape them and paint them is what I would do mate,    looking good by the way  - got a realy meaty look to her.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I can leave them as a single stripe and patch them up with the second set,  or I can bridge them with some paint and do the second stripe

Ah brother, as I'm looking at the drawing on the instructions, port rotor has two stripes and the starboard rotor has three.... also the leading edge of all rotors is black even where the stripes are painted on, the stripes don't go completely around the rotor blades they are broken at the leading and trailing edges...

Of course I could be wrong..... (but that is how it looks to me, maybe it's just my bad eyes)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I could tape them........but I'd be wary of the tape pulling the decal off.

I'm gonna see what I can scare up for images........I think that in between the thin white stripes,  it might be red ;)  as well......   they should be wrapped all the way around,  so they can be seen from under as well as over.  the 'duck' factor......hate to get cuffed by one of those blades :blink:

I made more progress.......I'll show ya later :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I just found the coolest site for the Osprey...........the future of Osprey :ph34r:   these are the new versions of the Osprey under development..

Bell V-280 - Future Long Range Assault Aircraft

with the V 280 Valor,  there is a picture where you can do a 360 degree view of the aircraft....so cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

the V 247 looks like pure evil 😈

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

See what you mean Denis,   evil and unmaned.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

to think that's where we're heading........we have unmanned drones already!   I made progress towards the finish of this model.  I had to toss a couple pictures though because of blurriness,  but I made more progress today,  and I will have that up as soon as I can get them out of the camera.  the hydraulic arms were cemented in place,  connecting the lower part of the door to the body.  the upper part stays where it is.......no cement needed.

236171799_1.jpg.047f3d04a02dc4e3c3591a181de49bc5.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK.........that was a long wait...huh? :)   so..........Murphy must have visited me at one point........never even saw it coming :(    I had painted the tires and assembled the gears...later gluing them onto the model.  what I didn't see was that I had cemented the rear gear buckets on the wrong side.  I painted the parts involved,   saw the holes where they located...but somehow got them mixed up!  the forward gear door was to be closed.......I can't do that now.  nor can I add the parts for the gears.  the nose gear is fine.......I couldn't screw that up.......so this problem mainly pertains to the rear gears.  I also see that the weight is needed......this is a tail heavy model.  there is a fix though.......I will make a base for it,  and cement it down like I did for my F 15 Eagle {not a big deal}.

717200576_1.jpg.f92b88377586e4a1114904e1857dda4e.jpg

this puts the gears too far forward........gonna be some surgery,  I can see that!   looks like it's up to you Lou........your going to have to be the one who comes out with the perfect model.  Italeri makes a very good kit.   for anyone who wants to add an Osprey to their collection,  this would be the kit to get. ;)   as mentioned,  the nose gear is not affected.

85896874_2.jpg.bd5014ac6e5df82818a38697ee518cbf.jpg

I still need to paint the other two cameras {the smaller nodes}.   a lot of yesterday's work { and today} has been geared toward decaling the model.

1559375532_3.jpg.ecb385ffb821833cb9c6139fa4056005.jpg

155886682_4.jpg.391746f9f0efb2f4c1ce6a206e7f60cf.jpg

196751938_5.jpg.bef9bfd4a57599ca77154a85a9468ba0.jpg

802908400_6.jpg.03bc350052b04da0b19fe0d0235b2c01.jpg

the outline around the door on the starboard side has been hard to set......I had to apply it with decal set....the insignia has been a problem as well....I think it's the Ghost Gray,  that is behind it,  since it looks flatter than the Gunship Gray.  I added a few parts as well.........the canopy glass.......the fins near the rear landing gear.......the dorsal fin and radar,  along with a few more decals.  so now I've set it aside to dry......

1979481327_7.jpg.b652ff9665ed015efd66b6df460889a3.jpg

658262885_8.jpg.f3ef7fa3e1ef457d2e55dce3cb0a61f5.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry to hear of your little set back  mate,  that is looking so swell  - really taking shape.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

looks like it's up to you Lou........your going to have to be the one who comes out with the perfect model.

Well we all know what the chances for that are! I haven't even been able to get back to my Huey yet and I don't have 25 work stations around the house where I can bounce from one build to another. Now if I could take over one of my wife's three rooms of dolls, or get rid of a kid or two and repurpose their room like you did, or even grow layers of fur in the winter to stay warm so I could work in the basement......................... Even then nothing I did would be perfect.

I am surprised that the V 22 model is tail heavy though. Is there a chance you can add weight in the wing before mounting it?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I am surprised that the V 22 model is tail heavy though

It's not supposed to be, according to the logs I've read say it's neutral, which way it balances depends on how heavy the paint is nose to tail, (or angle the props to taxi position) a half ounce in front of the mains should be enough for it to settle nose down in all situations....   

But I've never built it, so I'm giving second hand information......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

yea......I'll do what I can concerning the gear situation.........glue them open I suppose.  I will try to modify the other parts and add them.....pictures coming.

I did get a good idea of that is between the white stripes.......nothing.......just a normal separation.  I did paint white in the gaps and will do the same for the other stripes.  there are no pictures yet......ben busy with Christmas stuff.  as for the tail heaviness.......as mentioned,  I just make and paint a base for it and glue it down.   I can agree with that Egilman........where I have the props in the up position,  it likely upset the balance.  even with them on the model,  it doesn't change things.  it does look cool though......it's a very nice kit :) 

so close to the big day..........I hope I can do something on it ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

11 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

as mentioned,  I just make and paint a base for it and glue it down.   I can agree with that Egilman........where I have the props in the up position,  it likely upset the balance.  even with them on the model,  it doesn't change things.  it does look cool though......it's a very nice kit

Yeah it is a nice kit, I have a friend that does that to every model he builds, screws it to a plank, all wheels, they don't move that way but occasionally he bumps one moving it around and has to fix all the landing gear at that point...... As long as he keeps them out of harm's way, they seldom get damaged that way though....

Quote:

Had that happen to a friend just the other day. He went to the shelf to pick up a ME109 he built some time ago and dropped it! :( Landed on the gear and knocked all three off! :(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

no....nothing like that will happen.......my F 15 has been good since I did it ;)   besides.......no one will clean them but me :D 

anyway......I did manage to do a little bit while I was waiting for the admiral to get ready to head out....just a tiny bit more to do.  I had painted the 'bridge' on the single stripe........and am getting ready to add the second stripe.

633726225_1.jpg.0b8e1f9fa98b3672c83173da8c698209.jpg

534765066_2.jpg.52feea825739a14f7ce8ae06beca2fc9.jpg

I also started to make the base...........from some sheet basswood and 3 X 5 mm basswood strip.

989289266_3.jpg.08057f9688c01983a8611f468be11f6b.jpg

908944320_4.jpg.e84601ea8085b0702103bd3de9b8ccd8.jpg

I'm going to add some in the center to keep it from warping.  more to come.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very cool build!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

thanks Phil........and thanks for the likes  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

getting back to the Osprey.........I painted the base and gave it some markings.  I did 'em by eye....so they might not be perfect.

457380791_1.jpg.fdf2df4f940b77954c2291183f78ea34.jpg

more on her soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

with the holidays over,  I can get back to this model :)   it took a little though to figure out what to do about the gear door situation.   what I did isn't correct.......but it's the best solution.  any other remedy would mean almost total disassembly of the model,  and to go there would mean certain damage.

the brace for the rear gear door was altered slightly.......basically cutting off the locator pins and cementing them in the proper place in the well.  the door hinges were added to them and painted.  once the braces were dry enough,  the doors were cemented in place.

330395325_2.jpg.5adf599708af0b59b051cf2d5715b131.jpg

the gear doors were added to the front well.....a couple other parts were added too.

840735191_3.jpg.e3f135582417ac3936b412996ae9fe29.jpg

I tried to get a shot of what can be seen as you'd look into the cockpit.......flash wasn't a help here

2022640521_4.jpg.c8970a695bf35baf71c93ec71716e755.jpg

I went into macro without flash for these pictures.   it was plain to see that the front gear door wasn't going to fit.   what I did was cut the door in half, and cemented the curved part of it in place.  as I was working on her,  I slipped and the wing came off :o.......it's OK.. no damage......I can put it back on afterwards with little effort  ;) 

1516078243_5.jpg.98214420dfcccca163579d7f0b284dbd.jpg

as can be seen,  the other half has a definite lip groove........but the groove would have had to be cemented along the body,  leaving the flat {cut} edge exposed.  to make this look a bit more plausible,  I switched these two halves,  and cemented the part meant for the starboard side,  on the port side, exposing the lip and appear as though it would mesh with the other half.  the back edge is at an angle and matches the rear gear door.

1845872509_6.jpg.0223d07a9f40ee1dabbba2cfa53c3929.jpg

1633751482_7.jpg.85d1ad788eef60b14f611a2ef994243e.jpg

there is one other part,  a brace for the gear itself........but  I'm not sure I can add it without it looking like it would impede the operation.   even if I didn't add it,  cemented to the base,  it likely would never be seen.   so,  there are a few more parts to add,  and then it can be glued to the base.  almost there my friends :) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Those gear wells almost look like they aren't deep enough to hold the landing gear. Be careful flipping that beast around, it's a big honkin mutha.

Good job, Denis.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thats looking really nice mate  - will look great when you display it.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks Ken and OC,  and thanks to all the likes :)   I'm relieved that the gear thing was that quick a fix........still up to you Lou for the perfect model :D   the wing was a quick fix....just trim off some of the dried glue and re-cement it back on.   with the undercarriage work done,  it was super glued on the base.

333193701_1.jpg.cda4592dedc302e8ba33b3bc278c546f.jpg

small parts around the nose was added.....antennas ,  wipers and such........

175143845_2.jpg.b7e92b005cbdca1fee60b04c0fd9214a.jpg

2141075345_3.jpg.09ec72505df11fa85aeb5abccbf03dc4.jpg

1951133467_4.jpg.48ee8231d9bb7ce97d841377142eef06.jpg

I'm working on the props,  finishing them up....the next pictures should be gallery pictures :) 

728469156_5.jpg.1874e12e97ba85322d7510ee882bcb85.jpg

the refueling tube was added.......still needs painting.

1268491190_6.jpg.9713bb56b4a63e61ce38dbd21cc410f8.jpg

59448871_7.jpg.03db39b2dac49bb8928826a677a9a0e7.jpg

it's nice when I can get a good picture....I miss the focus ability of the old camera.  I'll be sure to do the finish pictures in some good lighting ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Really looking the business Denis  - she well be well worth a prime location when finished.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

still up to you Lou for the perfect model :D 

Like that will ever happen! Thanks for the compliment, but based on what I saw in this build, any effort I may make would be FAR down the list from perfect. Even blurry camera shots would not be able to hide it.

I think yours has turned out quite well, much better than anything I could do.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

c'mon Lou.........I did a botch job on the interior! :blush:  close molded stuff like that is not my strong suit.  I'm beginning to think I should have gone with a different camo.........one of the decals fell off and now I can't find it!  I'll have to order one of those letter sheets as I did for the B 17 builds....gonna have to be in black though {although I could just print the decals.....nothing fancy about letters}.   so the fuel tube is painted and I touched up the stripes on the props....not like it mattered.......one would have to look under there to see them ;)   I'm calling her done!  

401072376_1.jpg.2a1f634ec7d6a73a93bfc9972d0481f1.jpg

she takes up a good amount of room on the table......missing letters on the rudder fin

967670036_2.jpg.469b041dba5b0058249b93d84c4f5d69.jpg

585641559_3.jpg.e5f1e042a937dbc2e4015424a9442051.jpg

1852561535_4.jpg.3372060dedee32a1e1c09c8b53ef3322.jpg

1849671148_5.jpg.01e5efdaffe4a1f62161f652be0bb21d.jpg

1546924446_6.jpg.3aad9f002b55773357d7795813148346.jpg

192818934_7.jpg.96b2c5014d8d4481527370f6da19d419.jpg

1350374172_8.jpg.6ae17e4e78dbcd417be08919804f4bce.jpg

1688563192_9.jpg.04d7353a9cf09dadaeb0b04cd341403f.jpg

1146814895_10.jpg.811fb6e9fa793d6a354f9f946b561c3e.jpg

901967738_11.jpg.1d807fb9fa1494468af8f2e5d6bb33b2.jpg

2035487872_12.jpg.75d8c2959b9666fed1e0947c07062f7c.jpg

304035828_13.jpg.342fc0ffb55d3760ef121cb5cf446773.jpg

thanks for following along........glad that you found it interesting :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Lovely work mate   - its a really prominent  looking  bird, you have caught  her   excellently.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

c'mon Lou.........I did a botch job on the interior! :blush:  close molded stuff like that is not my strong suit.  I'm beginning to think I should have gone with a different camo.........one of the decals fell off and now I can't find it!  I'll have to order one of those letter sheets as I did for the B 17 builds

First off, once you placed the wing into place the interior pretty much disappeared unless you get real close and look up the bird's butt! The cockpit has much more glass than I expected but that came out perfectly. If I ever do get around to building mine then I will do the same as you did. I like the darker two tone gray much better than the other colors I have seen. If you are missing a decal then I have not noticed it.

I personally think it has turned out very nicely.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

thank you gents....and those who hit the like button :)   yea,  the decals were really hard to 'stick'.  there are a couple of them I actually used the window maker to affix them.  that worked out quite well....believe it or not.........I just used a damp paper towel to wipe the excess.  flat paints are sometimes not very friendly to decals,  I find.  thanks again :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: