Biloxi schooner by Russ - FINISHED - 1/48 scale - POB

Jay:

Thanks. I am looking forward to some time in the shop. Got to grade exams first. :)

Russ

• 1 month later...

Hey Russ - Your craftsmanship is outstanding.  Almost  too bad to paint and cover it up.

Great job!

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 4 weeks later...

Your Biloxi schooner's been getting by my radar it seems, I just got caught up.

Lots of excellent work, Russ. I love that 1920's photo, Nice archival shot. It's interesting how it lays under the rubbing strake, which is similar to the capping of it at the rail. The shackle between the deadeye and chain remind me of the shackle used on an old leaf spring auto. Its a very intriguing design.

A 1:24 version POF will be a fun build to watch, but this one first still has lots to keep us interested until then.

The decking looks really good. Its amazing the side planks fit so well they didn't need gluing. A credit to your experienced expertise.

Edited by themadchemist

Thanks for the kind words. I am fortunate that there is a so much contemporary photography to help fill in the gaps in the research.

I am trying to get some time back in the shop now that the semester is winding down. I am not really happy with my deadeye strap solution so I will probably try a few experiments to see if I can get something that looks more authentic.

Russ

Russ your schooner is coming along nicely. Oh, and thanks for showing that 1920’s picture.  The attachment of the deadeyes to the chain plates is interesting, but what I notice is that the excess lanyard is not tied and bound up against the shroud but after a hitch around the shroud is allowed to hang down.  Interesting.  Maybe for easy readjusting later?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

Thanks for the kind words.

That is a likely explanation. There was nothing really fussy about how they did things on these working schooners.

Russ

There was nothing really fussy about how they did things on these working schooners.

Russ

That's what I've always believed and that's the way I try to build my models.  Thanks again for the picture, one more step towards reality.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught up on this one - ship time is good time and it is doing very well for your schooner.   The pictures are great reference and doing a nice job honoring the detail!

Would love to have that level of skill and patience,.. maybe someday :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Adam:

Thanks for looking in and for your kind words.

I have been making some small progress. I have the carcass of the deck house made and I will be at the Billy Creel Memorial Wooden Boat Show this Saturday and Sunday at Biloxi with the schooner and a few skiff models doing some work and talking to folks. It should be a great time.

Russ

Russ, 

Wow, that sound like fun.  Have a good time.

Bob

Bob:

It is always a blast, but this year should especially good since the weather is shaping up to be a bit more hospitable. There will be a lot of people coming through and looking at the boats and there are always those who will want to sit a talk models, boats, and history. It is a great way to spend a weekend. :)

Russ

Finally an update.

I have managed to get a few coats of paint on the hull. It is getting there. Maybe another coat and then the red underbody.

The deck house is coming along. I had tried stick framing the deck house, but I think the solid bulkheads work better at this scale. I have begun planking the shell to give it that finished look. Still a ways to go on this piece.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

post-164-0-57596400-1400219771_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-98885300-1400219781_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-55766500-1400219793_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-23771100-1400219805_thumb.jpg

I like the way the color is on the hull, you have done a wonderful job with the hull. If you want the deck house to look like it was stick frame you could scribe it, but I think it will look good the way you doing it. Keep the pictures coming, and Thank you for sharing.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Joe:

Thanks. I am hoping the paint work comes out well.

On the deck house, the stick framing would be covered up with the planking anyway, so it is really not that important an issue except that I would have liked to framed each wall. In the finished piece, you will not be able to tell the difference.

Russ

Nice paint job Russ.

That 2nd photo really shows off her sheer-line. What a beautifully lined schooner.

I really like the way the rubbing strake smoothly forms into the cutwater, plus that carves hawse makes the bow a very interesting and delightful shape.

Have fun this weekend and don't forget the camera. I'm glad the weather moved east finally.

Looking good Russ, I agree with Keith the sheer line looks sweet

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

John:

Thanks. With a little (and I mean a little) spare time, I have been able to make some progress and it always feels good to be able to lose oneself in the process.

Keith:

Thanks for the kind words. I really like the sheer line. When I drew the plans, I thought it would look nice, but it has surpassed my expectations. Martin Fountain knew a thing or two about designing schooners. The details of the hawse pipe lips and the cut water trim were done in boxwood. That material made the difference in creating those details.

I will have my camera and will take some pics at the boat show. Right now, it looks like we should have very mild temps and lower humidity. That will make it very pleasant.

Pete:

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate it. :)

Thanks also for all the likes. I appreciate that as well. :)

Russ

Edited by russ

She is one beautiful boat!.

Great work.  I look forward to seeing photos of the real ones.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Ken:

Thanks for the kind words.

I will snap some photos of the replica schooners. I know the Glenn L. Swetman will be there, but I am not sure about the Mike Sekul. She recently underwent several years of refitting and I am not sure if she has been recertified for passengers yet.

Russ

Have a great time, Russ.  I'm looking forward to the pics of the schooners, also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark:

Thanks for looking in and for the very kind words.

I have a little more progress and I will post it as soon as I can get some photos.

Russ

Hi Russ ....... just got thru catching up on your progress, it's just outstanding!!, and you certainly give  credence to spiled planking.

I'm  going to give it a try on my present build.   I have a  question for you, not related to ship building, so I'll PM you.

Frank                                 

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank:

Thanks for the kind words. Anything I can help with, let me know. :)

Russ