Hello From Ontario

PRS

HI all. My name is Paul Smith and I live north of Toronto.

I have been building and flying RC aircraft for a while and recently switched over to building my first ship.

I picked up the Latina Bluenose II as it was local and looks like a decent kit.

First impressions:

• Kit packaged well and the fittings in plastic boxes is a nice touch.
  • Wood looks good although the plywood hull has some warpage.
  • No instruction book as they are on a CD. Who uses CD's these days. Had to get my old laptop out to print out the instructions.
  • No scale plan that I could find so placement of parts might be a little hard to determine.
  • Rigging instructions lacking but I think I can deal with it.

So far I have the hull together and Deck planked and am starting on the planking of the hull. I am using my covering iron and water to bend planks and it is working well. Also I am doing a light sanding after each plank (personal preference)

Later I will take some pictures and start a build log.

I am having a lot of fun and working slow and it looks good so far.

I dont have much in power tools. Scroll saw and a dremel and a hand held drill. I also do have a Prusa MK3 3D printer and am making use of that for different jigs which helps.

I currently have my eye on the Model Shipways Niagara as my next build also and am wondering how good that kit is.

I will close with a picture of the scratch built Sopwith Pup I made from plans.

IMG_20170624_202828.jpg

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

Niagara is a fine kit. This is an older Model Shipways design, and MS kits usually require builders to essentially scratch-build components using kit-supplied materials; in newer kits, many of these same components are built from laser- or CNC-routed parts. Choosing one or the other style is a matter of personal preference, and based on your beautiful Pup model, it certainly looks like you would not be thwarted by the MS design philosophy.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Welcome to MSW, Paul.  The Pup looks great.  Looking forward to your build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Paul, welcome to MSW. Stow your gear in a build log and enjoy your stay. 

Edited by Keith Black

and welcome for the other side of the country as well, nice looking pup.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.