Sovereign of the Seas by Denis R - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:78 scale

lol, lovely build, lol they didn't leave much space for anything else, pretty much every available space is filled, now throw in all the masting and rigging

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Very nice work! 

Will be watching with envy...   :)

Built:

Charles W. Morgan - Artesania Latina  1/50

Pilgrim 40 Trawler - Scratch  1/24

RCMP 40' Trawler - Scratch  1/24

Flower Class Corvette - Matchbox/Revell 1/72

Current:

HMS Serapis - Aeropiccola 1/60

Future:

NEW! Just Added: Friesland - Mamoli  1/75

San Felipe - Mantua/Panart  1/75

BonHomme Richard - Aeropiccola  1/50

Wasa - Corel   1/75 

HMS Victory - Mamoli  1/90

HMS Unicorn - Corel  1/75

Hi all

Sorry no photos yet, will post some soon.

Started making the bowsprit and yards.

The only thing is in the kit the dowels for the masts and yards are different colours of walnut.

I want and try to keep the colours as near as possible, so I am getting more dowels.

Denis.

Hi all

Bowsprit and yards, two coats of sanding sealer , sanded down with 180 grit then 3200 grit then two coats of satin varnish.

Big hello to Edwin and Millie.

Denis.

post-303-0-12484100-1364516795_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-05942100-1364516822_thumb.jpg

Lovely work on your SOS. It really is coming together at this point.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Hi all

Sorry it is slow going.

Start of the bowsprit.

Part P.4B   I used a rat tailed file so the small mast will fit a little better ( also more area for the gluing ).

Denis.

post-303-0-54809700-1364789005_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-57080900-1364789018_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-62805200-1364789067_thumb.jpg

lol - the bowsprit just does not stick out far enough, 

the real thing must have been quite imposing, and an extreamly long tree

good work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi all.

Just a tip.

Like Vince P said on his SOS log that 1.75mm rope don't come in black only fawn or may be brown ( but don't know about the brown ).

I am just doing the rigging on the bowsprit that has part of the rigging that uses 1.75mm rope.

To change it to black I used my black wax, I have got to say it was hard going to get the wax into the rope so came up with this.

Pass the rope through the black wax about 6 times, then turn it over so you now have the bottom at the top, now do the same 6 more times.

When you have done that put it under a light bulb to soften the wax ( this will let the soft wax to get into the rope ) then run a tweezer or your fingers over the rope.

Don't burn your fingers OK.

Denis.

you could pull the rope around a warm/hot soldering iron and get the same result

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hi All

Like Vince said in his log on the SOS they don't say that the stern area steps have hand rails.

I got 6 x 2 hole 15mm brass stanchions I then tried to put some .75mm soft brass wire in the holes just to keep it in with the brass decorations , it may be over the top but I think it works ok.

Denis.

post-303-0-50339300-1365918906_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-35926800-1365918924_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-79776300-1365918948_thumb.jpg

Hi Denis,

Contemporary depictions of the poop deck access differ in presentation. The Van de Velde sketch clearly shows staircases from the upper gun deck to the poop deck fitted with ornate handrails which connect to a transverse handrail on the poopdeck bulkhead. The Payne engraving, on the other hand, shows a ladder temporarily leaning on the poop bulkhead. These are among the best contemporary representations of what the Sovereign looked like and therefore must be given due credence as there are no original plans in existance. This area is open to modeling it either way.

As there are many issues with the Mantua kit regarding authenticity, I see no reason why your depiction of the stairs shouldn' t be used. Well done on their construction.

Bill

Edited by modelshipwright

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Denis,

I think the handrails work.  A nice touch that I'd leave in place.  Bill has a valid point on these.  It's your ship and your the Captain.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

happy bithday

Nice photographs, great looking build

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished