Sovereign of the Seas by Denis R - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:78 scale

Hi All

Cut the beer can up and bent it to the shape I wanted, put the flag on and coated it with the fabric stiffener, left it over night.

Took it of today and it just went flat :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:.

Put it back on and coated it up with diluted PVA wood glue, left it for 4 hours and coated it up again.

Will see what happens tomorrow.

If I don't post a photo you will know I have hung myself ha ha.

Denis.

Somebody with an evil sense of humour would ask that if you hung yourself would you go flat too?

Lucky I am not so evil :P. I really do hope you flag worked out just how you wanted it though!

Lovely model Denis !

this kit just must have been waiting for you to lay your skilled Hands on, and you sure are making a gem out of it, my respect, love to see it grow with every post you make...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi All

Much to the admirals disappointment I did not hang myself over the flag :D :D :D :D next I will try hairspray.

Hi Bindy lets hope the hairspray works ;) ;).

Hi Nils  thank you for them words, it's nice of you to drop in on my log , thank you.

More photos in a week or two.

Denis.

Hi All

I am pleased I did not hang myself as last night I did a test run on the flag, this time with hairspray.

To day I took it of the template ( beer can ) and all was OK :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.

I have just done the new flag and looking good :) :).

Will take it off tomorrow and take a photo.

I would like to thank you all for the advice.

It took a long time but I got there in the end.

I had better get back to them ratlines  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:.

Denis.

post-76-0-95314300-1393398326.gifpost-76-0-95314300-1393398326.gifpost-76-0-95314300-1393398326.gifpost-76-0-95314300-1393398326.gifpost-76-0-95314300-1393398326.gifpost-76-0-95314300-1393398326.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Bindy

I will post a photo tomorrow , but I have only do one so far.

Doing them ratlines now on the mizzen mast.

Thank you Mark again .

Also Dan for his help.

Denis.

Hi All

As you can see the template ( beer can ) is more bent than the flag.

But I am happy with the way it came out :D.

Denis.

post-303-0-99784500-1393464799_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-57406600-1393464818_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-52083600-1393464836_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-23146000-1393464849_thumb.jpg

Looks great, Denis.   And you got to enjoy the contents of the can to boot!!!!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark

Thank you, I am thinking of starting again so will have to get more beer cans :D :D :D :D :D :D.

Thanks for the tip my friend .

Denis.

I'm glad I could help, Denis.  Wasn't my idea as I think I got it from Hahn's book... or maybe DDM.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

24 cans of beer in a carton ... 24 flags on your ship.

Coincidence ??

I think not !!

Seriously, Denis, they look real good. Definitely the way to go.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

looks great Den..........and the templates are reusable too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice job on the ensign Denis :) .

I trust you will be mounting it in the correct manner? Below are a few pics from my HMAT Supply's ensign that show the method I used :

Ensign Oops 001.jpg

Ensign 004.jpg

Ensign Oops 002.jpg

Ensign 005.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hi Denis, your flag looks very nice.  I will follow the same trick, specially if it involves BEER cans!

Karl

:P  :P

Hi Matti & Karl & Ron

Thank you all, but I had a lot of help.

Karl the best thing to do is make a mistake and you can go and get more beer cans :D :D :D :D just joking ( or am I ).

Will not be long till I glue the main mast in place, I have just about finished the mizzen mast and yards.

Again thank you all.

Denis.

Hello Denis, I Just dropped

I like your work very much

So much ideas to pick up and so much to learn

Follow next steps with great interest

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 2 weeks later...

HI Brian

Not again , will have a look.

But I have deleted some photos off my computer.

All OK with the table saw just ordered it half hour ago ( thank you for the advice ).

Denis.

Hi Brian

And thanks to you and your build of the Royal William I can see and understand why model builders should have a Byrnes saw table.

7-10 days will be too long .

Denis.

Hi Brian

Yes Brian you are correct the planking on the SOS is scribed.

It is to late for me to make my own planks for the SOS as all the cannons and rope coils etc are glued to the decks so will leave it as is.

But will be making my own planks on my next build.

Will see how the Byrnes table saw goes first and then if all OK it may be another order for a thickness sander.

Thank you for your comments.

Denis.

• 2 weeks later...