I suck ripping planks with my Byrnes saw

Are you keeping the wood against the fence the whole way?  My guess is you might not be keeping it flush towards the end of the cut.  I had similar issues when I was starting out.

Maybe it's also binding after the saw?  Once I set the front of the fence, I push the backside out slightly to get a little more clearance since the saw doesn't come with a splitter.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

It would help a lot to know exactly how you are doing the cutting.  What is the set up on the table, whether you are using the fence alone, have you checked the fence is square etc.

It's a Byrnes. 👍 The answer is somewhere in the details ...

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

My "antique" Craftsman 8 inch table saw (1936 vintage) with its cast iron top is still my go to tool for ripping planks.  I use a narrow kerf ripping blade, which while it still takes a rather wide chunk of wood, it has the HP to slice through the toughest woods like butter.  The key for me is the set up, I can consistently peal off planks down to 1/64" thick once it is set up properly.  

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Perhaps looking into a feather board mod might help?   I too have trouble occasionally making cuts and a lot of the time the answer comes down to how Im holding/supporting the wood, blade height choice and feed speed.  Many of the videos online about doing similar things on full size table saws have directly applicable tips that can be helpful to understand the mechanics of what you are asking your tool to do. 

It took me a while to learn, but it's important to not only keep the piece of wood down on the table, but also against the fence.  Featherboards help, but are a little hard on such a small saw (I sometimes clamp a steel ruler against the fence to serve as a featherboard).  Push sticks are usually the way to go (and are much safer than getting your fingers too close).

Not sure how long your pieces of wood are, but I find that issues tend to multiply as the pieces get longer.  

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

As per above, set a feather-board just in front of the blades entry point.  If there is room, set another feather-board in front of the that one.  For a small model-saw, you may have to make your own feather-boards and be creative in how to anchor them.   

Do not vary the feed speed - don't pause halfway through to change your stance or grip - use one continuous push. 

Variations in the hardness of a piece of wood will effect the amount of wood the blade will remove. 

Check the fence's alignment.  A tiny amount of relief/angulation away from the blade will prevent the back-side of the blade from rubbing and removing additional  wood after the blade's front-side has accomplished the cut.  This angulation will also help prevent kick-back. 

It just came to my attention you are using a Byrnes Saw.  Jim machines 0.005 inch relief on the out-feed side of his fences to prevent kick-back and blade-drag as the wood passes the back-side of the blade.  Make sure your fence is aligned straight on the infeed.

Edited by Charles Green
Additional Information

I suggest going back to the above pinned thread about Byrnes saws.  On it you will find a post from a guy who used his Byrnes saw to produce wood strips for sale.  Instead of using featherboards to keep the wood pushed against the fence he found that it worked better to use a block of wood.  I tried this and it worked.

I also second Charles Green’s post to check fence alignment.  You will find Jim Byrnes instructions for doing this in the thread that I mentioned.  As a precision tool using metal cutting blades fence misalignment in the thousands of an inch matters.  I also agree with Dave’s post above.  I checked the fence misalignment for my 10in Delta Contractor’s Saw.  It has a non-linear bow of .03in.  Despite this it has the power to chew its way through about anything.  These small table saws lack that power.  Once the wood passing through the saw slows down resin begins to build up on cutting surfaces causing binding and kickback.

Thoroughly clean your blades.  After scraping off deposits with a razor blade I followed someone else’s advice and bought a spray can of oven cleaner.  It worked great.  I was about to scrap several blades but once I cleaned them and touched them up with a triangular sharpening stone they are ready to go again.

Roger

I was getting a lot of binding on my Byrnes saw, and Jim suggested pushing the back end out a bit.  That really helped my binding issues.  

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

It sounds like the blade is wandering.  This is more of a problem with a bandsaw - and it occurs with me even with a high power quality machine- IF the blade is becoming dull - continuing on usually produces a BANG fairly quickly - - snapped blade - so there is no advantage in pushing.

SO, in light of this,

Iis your blade too thin?

Are there too many teeth on the blade for the thickness of the stock?

Is the blade becoming dull?

The Byrnes saw motor is powerful enough to drive a too thin, too many teeth, dull blade thru too thick stock without slowing down, so the blade will do the protesting.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

On 3/19/2021 at 3:23 PM, bigcreekdad said:

Wow....thanks for all the feedback. I've got a bit of homework to do.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, jimbyr said:

Which blade are you using,  what wood are you cutting, is the fence square, is the blade sharp, does it have resin on it,  are you cutting the planks on the width side or thickness side?

Answer Jim Byrnes' questions above and, odds are, he will solve your problem in short order. I'm guessing you didn't realize "jimbyr" is the famous man himself. :D 

• 3 weeks later...

John

Don't know what everyone else does but this is what I do.  If you're cutting planks say 3/16" wide x 1/16  thick what I do first is cut my stock from a billet on the band saw about 7/32 wide x 2" .  Then I run them through the thickness sander down to 3/16" so now I have a piece of stock 3/16 x 2"  + or -.001 on the 3/16 thickness.  Then to the saw with a 3"  .03 slitting blade and cut the planks 1/16 thick.  After you glue the planks on you're going to sand them so the 1/6 thickness really doesn't matter much

regards

Jim