Revell B 24D Liberator 1:72 scale by Popeye the Sailor

here we go again.........this time I think I can come up with a captured American B 24 ;)   I'm still gonna finish the Atlantis model,  but I'll keep it as a no named generic bomber....there were plenty of them out there.  finding out the futility in acquiring the suitable decals for that model,  I flirted with the idea of getting a model of normal scale.  that proved to be an easy task......this one came up on the radar within minutes......

959740481_1.jpg.a946bf86ee8c1372ffc4162eaf7b4fdd.jpg

it was on evil bay listed @ &9.99.....I ordered it!  thinking that it might take a while to get here........I was surprised to have it in my hands within a week!  the model depicts a plane called the Blue Streak.  I soon found that it is an actual plane,  with an amazing history......

41-11613 Blue Streak

opening the box was a bit of a shock..........

898572933_2.jpg.4f9609c7672d2582b9074ff24ae0dbc6.jpg

the kit was produced according to the box and instructions,  in 1964......the color of the instruction sheet,  as well as the texture of the paper,  was a dead give away.  the first thing I noticed,  was that the decal sheet was missing.....I would need to source out for decals......second is that one half of the fuselage had been marred by sanding :( 

29807986_3.jpg.c6350c98cc67de9bec19f8e5988bda0b.jpg

I have no idea why this was done.......some of the riveting is still there,  so I guess I can count myself lucky with that.  I can scribe out the panel lines and call it repaired.  the next thing is something I tell any new modeler NOT to do.........NEVER take the parts off the sprues until your ready to use them!

343150210_4.jpg.21f44d8df0ef9b94b6c365a2fc24616a.jpg

I can only guess that the parts were bagged by the modeler....but then again,  if that were so,  the decals might still have been in here.  the condition of the box is fair,  but in this state,  unbagged would have stood a good chance of lost parts!  I took an inventory of what was in the bag...........it looks like it is all here.

landing gear parts.........

977721045_5.jpg.02c696c041335be8afc8cda08d4e6e0d.jpg

wing parts.......

1184207339_6.jpg.c578860dc8081bbda329eb88457fb651.jpg

rudder,  stabilizer,  and cowl parts........

101382620_7.jpg.ace4c73c4c8fce0fc0c8848bbd8adb10.jpg

aileron,  and flaps.......

136192967_8.jpg.9f4c68934203dc0d52d3d37f6ecd802d.jpg

and props...........I saw one of them was broken :( 

1821974661_9.jpg.5ea3461ddd75e16ca79dcda64d49178b.jpg

the gear doors,  turrets,  and associated parts seem to be all there as well.   all of the clear parts are present too.

1821974661_9.jpg.5ea3461ddd75e16ca79dcda64d49178b.jpg

872491310_10.jpg.ad49b1644ff5a4ccb0f6a0dcc2913f96.jpg

having been removed from the sprues presents it's own problems.........were the parts damaged in the removal process?   the parts need to be cleaned up of minor flash and edgings,  but I'll know more when I get into doing it.  hopefully,  I won't see any craters or damage left by the sprue points.  all of the main parts are here........this is good! :)   I can deal with the minor stuff.........and if anything is missing,  I should be able to cobble something together without much hassle.

I was going to dry fit as much as I could,  and then show a comparison of these two planes,  but I'm sure you know.......  there is a big difference between 1:72 and 1:92 ;)   more soon! 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I can’t get over the fact that you are building this, I was so shocked by the other one. You didn’t mention anything about warping and those models are old. Couldn’t imagine any decal from that era of being much use.

How are you gluing them together.

I have been collecting models most of my life, and sometimes I get a model that is more cool than practical, and other times someone may be dumping their glue bomb, this is where I have learned how glue makes the parts brittle and the parts are warped and are of little use.

That sanding is very sad, that detail looks amazing for that era, and arrow has the decals, at least for the pop rivets, if you don’t mind dry transfer, I think it would take a long time to put those pop rivets back.

Keep up the good work.

finding the decals for this model would be impossible.  given the age,  no matter where I got them,  they would likely be too old.  if not yellowed,  micro cracking would have taken over rendering them useless.  so far.......none of the aftermarket sites list them..........but I smiled ear from ear with what I did come up with.  as with the B 17 Wulfe Hound,  the first B 24 to have gotten captured,  was called 'Sunshine'..B 24H-5-FO #42-52106

1642541882_sunshine2.jpg.25b7816c1c1fa5e20a379cddbf066540.jpg     568795781_sunshine4.jpg.bbe088e09096ff86e9dda2669786492d.jpg

here's where the realization hit me.........the model of the Blue Streak is a B 24D........not an 'H'.   I'm going to have to see if I can modify the nose {at least}, if I'm going to be able to pull this off.   I just took a little time to look up a nose conversion kit,  but I fear that it's going to be a tough nut to crack :( 

I do hope I didn't get this kit for nothing.......that would get me the hangman's noose for sure :default_wallbash: 💩   well........I'll show ya what I have so far.  I ordered the decals........that was a feat.  Mega Hobby didn't stock 1:72 decals for Sunshine.......only 1:48.  so I found the Kits World site and contacted them.  they do have them,  so I ordered them......they are on their way!

decals.jpg.3ada0b5947c9de5ce62aa0f1239d91f5.jpg

I will wait to compare the drab,  so the paint blotches in the decaling shows up.  I also found the story on Sunshine

The Saga of Sunshine's Forced Landing

the decaling again is going to make the model........it will go from this:

1601617287_sunshine6.jpg.65d155d6d54ec5788d13aae9b204c43b.jpg   to this:  704926456_sunshine5.jpg.41abf4fd112a81cb492cdfacb3865552.jpg  or even this:

1015019131_sunshine3.jpg.6b8d0ebc9447d6a4bc3d8c9472116bcd.jpg

when the markings changed,  I haven't found out yet......but I like the banded one better.   keen to note that she kept her belly color,  as well as most of her markings.  I have a little more to show........and then it's back to my search :rolleyes: fingers crossed.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks Blackreed.........the Atlantis model is fairly new.......a recent production of the old Revell model.  this Revell kit here......is old,  but it is in amazingly good shape.  I've built lots of older kits and I haven't had to use anything different as far as glues go.   the one thing I didn't mention,  is with the Warbirds kit,  the plastic is a lot thinner.........other model manufacturers seem to mold thicker plastics......the worst one I've done to date,  is HobbyCraft.  as I mentioned in my last post,  any decal sheet for this model would be unusable.......I learned my lesson when I ordered decals from Revell for the Cutty Sark,  now many moons ago.  even though the decal sheet looked new,  it had micro cracking,  suggesting that their stock of the decals were as old as the kit.  I'm not too concerned about the riveting........most model kits are exaggerated with this detail.  on the Atlantis model,  I actually sanded a lot of it off anyway.....would have been a total nightmare to put decals on a surface like that {unless you want to use a gallon of decal set}. another example,  is the Hasegawa U.S.S. Missouri I have.  some of the raised detail on it {especially the float plane} will need to be sanded off so it don't look so gaudy. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I went on a cleaning spree this morning.  it is confirmed........all of the parts are here.  it went well,  aside from the nose wheel.  being so thin a plastic, a small bit was ripped off the tire half.  nothing that can't be filled......I also assembled a few bits.  first was the rudders,  ailerons and flaps.......the sprue contacts were cleaned up and all the edgings were sanded.  the minute flash was removed.  the seats were cemented in place on the cockpit platform.

905451973_1.jpg.152ac902a409a7985d8fa39ed9ba2436.jpg

the broken prop was repaired and cleaned up with the others.  it will be given time to dry.

1285980273_2.jpg.1e90530f155321b4468566d6cd7793ad.jpg

I did some scribe work to the sanded half of fuselage.  I did cement the waist gunner's mounts in place,  but I might add the window panel and do without them.

1128995403_3.jpg.f0f87020dc3545d3a2f64509a673e749.jpg

....and then the fuselage halves were cleaned up.

1807323988_4.jpg.8d33694704d27a158f770c7b8a7f2d8b.jpg 

the gear assemblies were also cleaned up and the tires were cemented together.  I let 'em dry a bit before I roughed up the tire areas.

891934205_5.jpg.247f0a372c857eaca568afe5e946f2bf.jpg

the wings were the hardest to clean.......the halves kept wanting to pop out of alignment with each other.   clamping them the way I did here was the best way to accomplish the task.  the ailerons,  flaps,  and landing gear are all moving parts.........usually,  I don't bother with it.  one of my peeves is floppy parts that don't stay where you pose them......especially if the model is on a stand.  this was a nice kit in it's day........quite a bit of detail considering the year it was produced.  I would suggest that if your looking for more interior detail though,  you might want to go for a 1:48 or a 1:32 scale model kit.   well.....back to my musings ;) 

1217786639_6.jpg.c8bd1389c7077db33e9808a2f6d4cc7d.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

They may have done you a favor in loosing the decals. As Blackreed said, there is fair chance they would not have been useable anyway. Hopefully finding their replacement won't be too hard.

If you reconsider and decide not to go German then you could go for this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133652713310?hash=item1f1e528f5e:g:3zwAAOSwgLpgFubD

130 missions without a crew loss or injury.

If all you had to pay was $10 then it looks like you got a pretty good deal even without decals.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Denis, any chance anybody makes an aftermarket nose for that. Maybe a vacuform or 3D print (Shapeways)?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I just took a little time to look up a nose conversion kit,  but I fear that it's going to be a tough nut to crack :( 

Dennis, check this out...

B-24D to H Conversion

For the Hasegawa kit

According to Scalemates it was produced by Blackbird in 1/72nd scale in 2019...

No sources listed though, I imagine it is so niche that it didn't sell well..... (the average person could not tell the difference between an "H" and a "J" anyway)

They do have a scalemates member looking to sell his though, if he still has it, me personally I would think it is easier to backdate a "J" than update a "D"... (just my opinion)

Update:

Blackbirds website Cheaper in price, if you can get it out of eastern Europe...

And there is always Squadron

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

hello all!  it's been an interesting couple of days here.......after realizing my blunder,  I first took a look at aftermarket.   seeing what I saw Ken,  I found it more cost effective to simply buy another kit.    aftermarket included bomb bay doors,  bomb bay compartment,  navigation and cockpit enhancements,  among some of the more noteworthy stuff.   I wish I saw some of the stuff for b 17's earlier.......lots of nice PE stuff :)   I'm not out to do any of interior .....like the Wulfe Hound,  I want to put as much as I can on the outside.

I have some time Lou.......let the admiral simmer down some.....and it will take some time to get to the point where I'll be needing them.  at least with this scale,  there are some out there ;)   the kit is pretty good,  outside of the couple of things wrong with it.  I'm able to work around them,  so I don't see a problem achieving a decent model from it.  in my musings,  I did see a kit {or a kit that supplied the markings} that builds into an assembly plane.  that has been a thought......if paint doesn't hide the sanding fo-pah on the fuselage,  then a collage of colors certainly would do the trick ;) 

that appears to be the bombardier glass under the nose turret mount.  I read something about a guy complaining that the conversion parts he's been seeing,  wasn't angled.....or something like that.  I looked through a few sites,  before giving up.  of course the admiral had to know what I was driving myself nutz over.......so I told her.  she wanted to hear numbers......from the aftermarket parts I saw,  I gave her a round about price for what I would have to get,  to mod the model.  then I looked up the price for another model.  to find a B 24H.....is about as futile.  I saw one.....can't recall the scale....but I can't forget the price!  .....over $100!  the only models that seem to be out there,  are either B 24D's or B 24J's.  outside of the difference in turret manufacturers and engines,  the differences between a 'J' and 'H' are minor,  so I ordered a 'J' kit with the admiral's nod.  last I heard,  it was being shipped.

.....and on the car.......I have the '59 :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

the differences between a 'J' and 'H' are minor,  so I ordered a 'J' kit with the admiral's nod.  last I heard,  it was being shipped.

I think you will be much happier with the result going in that direction brother...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Inside a B-24: one of my uncles died in a B-24 in World War II some years before I was born. In the 1990s, probably, I was at an air show and saw a B-24 on display. Although it was a big plane for its day (considered a heavy bomber, I believe), inside it seemed small. I could imagine going into battle in it with nothing but sheets of aluminum, I suppose, between the crew and the flak.

If you ever find yourself near Savannah, GA, there is an 8th Air Force museum just off I-95. They have a B-47 visible from the Interstate as a marker. They have a number of a/c in the museum building and a few out side, too. The B-17G is open to peek into a bit and you see how tiny this mainstay heavy bomber of that war actually was. My old F-4 carried a heavier bomb load at times than the old Fortress. And the a/c skin still is all that protects the crew. No armor plate, except in the A-10, that I can think of.

And they reconstructed an English parish church on the grounds, bell tower and all. Nicely done.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

When I was kid, the AF museum in Dayton had a B-17, B-24, and a B-29 that were walk-throughs.   Yes, very cramped in there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

no real armor on these planes to speak of.....they save the weight for the bombs ;)  the B 24 was mostly hydraulic,  unlike the B 17......I read a lot of comments that the smell of oil was quite prevalent.   getting shot up must have been quite messy.  one thing I noticed on the model was the landing gear arrangement.  looking at the underside of the wing,  the gear itself had part of the door attached to it........but where the wheel locates,  there isn't anything at all......the tire is exposed.  there is a bit of a dome at the rear by the flaps....I'm going to have the flaps down as it's coming in for a landing.  I may make a stand for it,  since the model will be a tail dragger....unless I decide to add weight somewhere.  but this is just one of the idios of the early Revell kits......I'm certain it was the same.  on the Atlantis kit,  you can't have the wheels down,  and the gear doors closed.......didn't look right the first I laid eyes on it.  that kit being produced in the '50's,  and this one being produced in the 60's...it shows the extent of research and information they used in the production of the model.

170262302_6.jpg.ee03897f0490b106ab8446d63769266f.jpg

I've done quite a bit of clean up on this one.  the 'new meat' should arrive tomorrow :ph34r:   I got the decal set in today's mail.....much more to scale than the other sheet I got. 

1381008116_1.jpg.a42052c3b563b831f90decd91f24bdb9.jpg

832849975_2.jpg.68d57c8e2d8f5ea89ee22852b3405bd5.jpg

I cut the sheet down so it will fit in the sleeve....I also cut some off the sleeve so it will fit in the plastic bag better.  makes it easier to pull it out too!  they sent along a free sample.....a set of 3D seat belts.  they look to be for a 1:48 fighter plane...I'm going to contact them and see what they fit.  there might be another plane in my future ;) 

....and if your ever asked to do a review of the product you bought,  don't do it in the e-mail.   I did it.......and I even mentioned how I thought the decals were for a larger scale {and I wasn't crabb'in}.....I hit submit and it sent me to the website.  the review I wrote was gone!......wiped out!  so the heck with it........I ain't gonna bother!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

waiting for the model to arrive.......passing time by fixing a couple of the chairs in the dining room {the seat pads were coming off}.  there was another one on the front porch that my younger son sat in and it broke.......fixed it with a 'L' bracket and will serve me well at the other table in the spare room.  I also mounted the new crane light on table black.  continued on by browsing through the oldmodelkits website.....couldn't believe what I saw.  I was on page 111,  when I saw a hardware kit for the Dumas PT 109.......3 shafts,  rudders,  support brackets,  and props......3 of everything..........are you ready for this?!?!?!?!   $19.00!!!!  I paid $40 bucks apiece for the single kits!  I guess you know I snapped them up in a hurry! ;)   it may be too late to make any mods on her,  so I'll save them for when I need them.

I went in the spare room and painted chromate green on the insides of the wings.  you'll see it in the wheel wells and flaps.  I also decided to put the hatches in the waste gunner's windows........I heard the familiar knock on the door.   the kit is here :)   

I am not totally happy.........more on the 'new meat' soon..........gotta go run some errands

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

one has to ask himself.......how many times can one shoot himself in the foot?  I saw 1:72........I ordered 1:72.....easy.   but I guess you have to take into consideration that the person on the other end may not be as up to speed,  on something so basic as scale.  here is the kit I bought:

915451402_1.jpg.c487aa739ceb482df460caa7629b6e94.jpg

this is the other kit........the other 1:92 scale kit!  I can't blame the person I bought it from......it doesn't say it anywhere on the box,  nor in the instructions.

but I should have been aware of it.......I've done enough research and even looked it up on Scalemates.  the only B 24 produced by revell in this time line, was the B 24D Warbirds 'the Blue Streak',  in 1:72 scale.  the 'Buffalo Bill' and the Pacific Raider's kit were produced in 1:92 scale.  MPC has one in their 'Profile Series',  produced in '73......their first production was in '71,  preceding the Profile Series.  I've got a bit more to show.........the admiral is hungry,  so I'll go cook up some burgers.  it will give me time to think about my war crimes :ph34r:

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

12 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

one has to ask himself.......how many times can one shoot himself in the foot?  I saw 1:72........I ordered 1:72.....easy.   but I guess you have to take into consideration that the person on the other end may not be as up to speed,  on something so basic as scale.  here is the kit I bought:

915451402_1.jpg.c487aa739ceb482df460caa7629b6e94.jpg

this is the other kit........the other 1:92 scale kit!  I can't blame the person I bought it from......it doesn't say it anywhere on the box,  nor in the instructions.

but I should have been aware of it.......I've done enough research and even looked it up on Scalemates.  the only B 24 produced by revell in this time line, was the B 24D Warbirds 'the Blue Streak',  in 1:72 scale.  the 'Buffalo Bill' and the Pacific Raider's kit were produced in 1:92 scale.  MPC has one in their 'Profile Series',  produced in '73......their first production was in '71,  preceding the Profile Series.  I've got a bit more to show.........the admiral is hungry,  so I'll go cook up some burgers.  it will give me time to think about my war crimes :ph34r:

You can't beat a couple of burgers with fried onions in slightly toasted buns  with a side order of fries,    upsssss  "off I go again distracted by food"😁

I  didn't know they made many kits in 1/92 scale  -  I learn a new thing every day mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

these are the older kits OC.......produced before the change over to uniform scale classification.  basically,  the big plus here is that molds can be sold more readily.......you see,  who wants a bunch of odd scales?  back in the days of Aurora,  Pyro,  LIndberg Line and others who predated the change,  that was all they had and produced.  when the change happened,  new companies sprung up.......AMT,  MPC {to name a few} and other companies like Revell,  Monogram,  Renwall,  Hawk,  dumped some of them and produced within the new scales.  there's a lot more to it.......survivability,  the war {WWII} took it's toll......some survived by using other materials for their kits.  lately,  new companies sprung up........Round 2,  Atlantis.......bought up a bunch of these old molds,  and are now flooding the market with them.  is it a bad thing.......not in the big picture,  but the does limit the availability of aftermarket mods and add ons.  todays models are so much better anyways  ;) 

so where was I.........oh yes.......how I got hood-winked.   I saw a few other lesser model company offerings......and then I saw this one and bought it.  it stated 1:72 in the description.........I failed to give it a thought :(  I took a look in the box,  and it was just as described.....bagged and unopened.

1568040619_3.jpg.5a8626f8432ef8f7eb471509dbe4ffde.jpg

here's a chuckle for you all.........who saw these advertisements in their kit and sent away for it?

360084335_2.jpg.42d8f8c51435f785a42e3d55835a645b.jpg

I did :)   I got the lunar module and lander!  sent in the dime......got the start up kit,  but when I saw that I had to pay more to get the rest of the stuff,  I canceled out.  I also joined the Revell model club,  but that was short lived too.......kept getting kits I didn't like.   as I suspected,  the decals are useless.

if you look close enough,  you can see the micro cracking and the gaps from shrinking decal.  I could spray them with the decal bonder,  but the cracking is just too severe.

1670070372_4.jpg.a4c9e4cf0e82927a923b9b6aeb48142a.jpg

the good thing about this kit,  is that the rivet detail is not as pronounce,  as what I saw in the Atlantis kit.  the molds were not as old as they would be now.  they still can be seen though...I may try to even them out.

513259944_5.jpg.53a986d08fadc687594989f8f105c851.jpg

some manufacturers will just create the mold to make the parts that will distinguish one model from another......in most cases,  it would be the fuselage.

this way,  they can monopolize on molds they have already created to expand the kit selection.  for these two models......there was nothing that needed to be modified.......they are both B 24 J's.  for an example,  those who follow my crazy antics,  read about my future Chevy Impala project.  one kit is produced by Monogram,  and the other is produced by Revell / Monogram.  these two kit have similar parts......the engines are exactly alike....I'm sure there is more.  I haven't checked the sprue ID numbers yet,  but I believe there will be some that match ;)  more on this soon :)   I will need to cut out the windows,  like I did with the 'Buffalo Bill'.

2065413279_6.jpg.3217b0592fccfcf7a0658756523e4168.jpg

there are a reasonable amount of loose parts in the bag.  being a kit produced in 1965,  I would expect nothing less.

607528376_7.jpg.b6cd140b6778d9cb6f666138aa6a5a64.jpg

of course,  nothing is broken.........there's nota lot of flash either.  cleanup will be easy.

1329702567_8.jpg.6704c2fa3e72e62f47cdbe17fea4c4a4.jpg

I'm gonna try and fudge one of these to the subject.  when I got the kit,  the admiral wanted to see it.......so I showed it to her.  then I told her of the shortcomings.........the effort in getting a kit that will cure all.   I chased my tail........I'm back at square one.......went on a fool's errand.....whatever metaphor you want to hang on it......I'm left with the same dilemma.  while it would be great to stay with the same scale as the Wulfe Hound.....I can't anything more till next week {still deciding}  what to do with these kits?.........crazy thing are forming :ph34r:  for anyone who is not familiar with the difference between these two scales......here is a comparison

1779675689_9.jpg.83093859a76240df360027638e505570.jpg

1:72 to 1:92.    I'm going to check out the 1:100 scale decals  for anything interesting.   I already looked into the 1:87 scale......all American and very few choices.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I just checked  and saw Three main B24  kits in 1/72  -  Hasegawa,  Academy  and Airfix   would the not be anygood to you mate?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

31 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

1:72 to 1:92.    I'm going to check out the 1:100 scale decals  for anything interesting.   I already looked into the 1:87 scale......all American and very few choices.

There isn't much out there in Luftwaffe in those odd scales... one thing I would suggest is 1/48th scale would be 2x 1/96th scale, the trick would be to find the right set of markings for the smaller aircraft... It can be done..... but it's not easy.... 1/2 sized 1/48th scale decals would be very close to the scale your seeking. 

If the full sized marking was 4 feet, you look for the 2 foot marking.... I know that seems strange but yes the Luftwaffe had regulations for all standard markings in standard sizes usually in 6" increments, just like the USAAF....

Quote:

27 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I just checked  and saw Three main B24  kits in 1/72  -  Hasegawa,  Academy  and Airfix   would the not be anygood to you mate?

I though he was going to pick up a Hase myself.... much easier to come by, but pricier was well...

Quote:

price is my guide too.....for what I want to do,  didn't want to buy an expensive model to hack on.

you saw the comparison.......right?!?!  that is too big a jump to make with scale.  I looked into 1:100,  which would be a lot closer.  it's like what I did with the 909........1:64 as opposed to 1:48....that one worked out quite well.   troubling that the fit isn't so good for this one.......the best thing to do would be to get another kit in 1:72.  these decals are going to be too big........I won't be able to use them all.  I should have bought the MPC kit I saw.  

I played around with the Revell kit.........very different concerning the plastic........more rigid than the Atlantis kit.   the parts are a lot cleaner too......still the same 'ole injection pins though  ;)   I'm cutting out the windows on this one as well..........there is the exact same dimple {that needs to be trimmed out} on the inside behind the nose window.  .......a bit more effort to remove it.  I'll compare the decals...that will be the decision maker  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I cleaned up quite a few of the parts .......so far the kit is very nice to work with.   I've started to paint the fuselage interior and under belly .   I made a slight change to the title........when I build the other 1:92 kit,  I'll continue the Atlantis log with it.   it won't be too hard to make the distinction ;) 

461245760_1.jpg.5dcb4a528a70c22ea9fd725a4999c586.jpg

1401168988_2.jpg.67f404ab1ee557230bc86f35c6e2c68d.jpg

....just the Chromate green on the wing interior that will be seen.   the window panels have been added to the fuselage halves.......I have the clear parts to fill them.  note the open area in the underbelly for the installation of the belly turret.

more painting was done yesterday........more chromate green and the wing under surfaces.

1283812928_1.jpg.ce827c854a6dc9972ef27fa728ca28d5.jpg

1058543241_2.jpg.9cacd592b0c740d7dac51fbe239a0c53.jpg

this kit is a lot more detailed than the other two.  it's a very nice kit,  should one chose to build it :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You have to be commended for your perseverance and aptitude to stay focused on the building these old kits. 👏

I am following even if I am not commenting much.

Kind regards,

Dan 

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

thanks Dan..........although advice I would give anyone who wants to dabble in the old kit arena.......remember the kit your dealing with.   I wish there was a way to shrink the decal sheet a bit more.  my printer is ka-putt at the time being,  and even if it was running,  it won't do white.  sure,  I could use white decal paper,  but that'll mean I'd have to trim along the edges of the images.  I don't consider it fun ;)   I did see another Revell kit........it's of a PBJ,  but it's also a B 24D.  I haven't gotten too much further with this one........I'll need to order decals for it.   actually,  it's not so much the model,  but the subject.  if you should even see a copy of the KG 200 .....grab it.........it's a great read ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

so.......the trilogy of Sunshine has been resolved.   the props on the original kit I started with are being painted,  and that will finish the model.   the Pacific Raiders plane will be move over to the Atlantic log and will be done as a generic bomber,  unless I get other ideas {I usually do :ph34r: }.

this log will be devoted to the Warbirds kit........which led me to wonder.......what to do with this model.  there were no decals with the model when I got it,  and even if there were,  they might be junk......just like the Pacific Raiders kit.  I thought of two possibilities.........one choice would be a coastal patrol plane for the RAF.....the other alternative would be an assembly plane.  both of these choices would be a pleaser for Lou {yes.....I do like the ideas you've given me in the past.  I leaned more towards the assembly plane though,  even though I have decals for both ideas { I should by now,  don't you think?!?!?!}

there are a few decal sets out there for assembly ships.......but I want to stay low budget and some of the paint schemes are a real daunter.  one in particular came to mind..........sort of an American Flag motif.  

first.......I thought of a white upper fuselage and wings,  med gray bottom.   red stripes will run along the upper fuselage,  with stripes from wing tips to fuselage.  starting from a section of wing to the root and the area of the fuselage,  will be blue w/ stars.  the outer rudders will be blue....inside will be white and med gray.......rudder flaps will be white and red stripe.  the stabilizer{s} will be white and red stripe,  running the same as the wings

second .......will be basically the same,  but all stripes will run on the same direction as the fuselage.

a third choice......... will be the same,  but the fuselage is done in stripe bands around it, rather than along it.

sounds like a head bender.........I believe there is a B 17 done in pretty much the same way.......the B24 I saw though looked like the stripes were like lightening bolts { a little too crazed}.  

892137707_assemblyplanes.jpg.f40d5db940fc42142bbd0b96baad82a1.jpg I've seen the red 'n gray stripe in drab and yellow too...

280451844_assemblyship002.jpg.f3942ad7bb887acd55e3a2e36edbc019.jpg

it will look somewhat like that......    good that I looked at these........I was wondering about the nacelles.   from what I've read,  assembly ships didn't have armament.....the planes were stripped of unneeded equipment.  this one has them though :ph34r: ,  although I don't see the presence of belly guns. I will call her " 'ole Glory" and will likely be making the decals myself,  if I don't have anything on hand.  I won't be specific on a bomb group,  unless I can cobble something together.   I already started the paint trilogy............oh,  did I say that I hate white!!!!!! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

True on unarmed. They returned to base once all the planes were up and had formed into position.  I think the crew was just the pilots, navigator, and flight mech.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have seen B 24's that still had the armament,  as well as the B 17 pictured above.   I might just add them so the parts aren't added to my spare parts box.......I seem to be massing quite an array.  just the nose {if any},  the tail and maybe the dorsal.  they do fly reasonably close to the action before turning around.......be good to have some teeth,  just in case ;)   I've book marked a few more sites pertaining to the B 24,  even one that gives out free plans for large scale models.   you have to become a member to get them,  and I'm sure there is a fee in there somewhere.  I did take a few pictures of where this model is at the moment.......you've seen the Chromate green on the visible inside surfaces.....I've done a bit more.   the bottom part of the fuselage was painted with the med gray,  and then later masked off to paint the white upper section.  I had to do two coats of flat White...gosh darn ghosting was quite abundant.  I will then mask off for the blue.......and then for the red striping.

877721714_1.jpg.95257f3b0311ba35900f2cea1665f619.jpg

the upper tail parts and the ailerons........the rudders you see are waiting to be painted blue.   the other halves are as follows........only the rudders themselves will be totally white,  but I think I should do the lower part of the inner surfaces with the med gray,  which won't be striped.

221666484_2.jpg.37910fea6c1b6d4ade42ee7bfc1e741d.jpg

I may have to correct one of the rudders......they are both facing the same way....kind of like painting two lefts ;)   >correction noted<  the fuselage and upper wing surfaces have also been painted......the white was so stubborn.  I just hope I didn't lay the paint on too thick.

1433975292_3.jpg.ffde6b333d211dfe9c1ddb3b3e5320ff.jpg

the field on the wings that will be blue is fairly large.......it will fit in conjunction with the roots of the fuselage,  which will also be masked off for the blue.     I'm either going to order some stars,  or I'm going to have link my computer with the home printer....I think I just need to make it the default printer,  now that mine has been uninstalled from my computer.  I have other images that I need to look up.  white decal paper is going to be the rule,  since most generic printers don't print white.  more to come :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great start Denis.

I was wondering if you were going to do one of these ever since we talked about them and looked at pictures a while back. Was kind of hoping you would do the clown one with all of the dots! :D 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

it would be easy to come up with a sheet of dot decals  ;)    the paint work would be enormous though.........not to say that what I have planned isn't.  I'm giving the white a chance to dry more,  before I go to the other colors.  there are quite a few to choose from,  but finding decal sets for some of them might be tough.   there is.....still the MPC kit,  cheap enough to toy around with.............I might still be able to get one:ph34r:

glad your looking in :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: