Off Center Skiff by hamilton - FINISHED - 1:12 scale - SMALL

Very clean and crisp and also very well put together.   She'll look good as a oar powered boat.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark! It's been quite satisfying making something small and contained - next up will be a return to the 1:64 scale Bluenose I started some years ago...feel like the momentum and desire are there now - if only I can keep my workdays contained enough to eke out some modelling time in the evenings! 

Bye for now

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton

I enjoyed reading through this log yesterday.  I concur that cleanness and sharpness is wonderful.   I am excited to hear your plans to go back to Bluenose.  I followed your build closely when I was building my 1:24 Bluenose a few years ago.  I still have a few detail on her that I hope to get to this fall and look forward to looking in on your work too.

cheers 

Jon

Thanks Jon! I remember your remarkable Bluenose build from back then! It will be nice to return to my much more modest one in the near future!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

A very quick update on the OC Skiff - thwarts finished and installed. Not much to say about this - in the first photo you can see the sculling pad I installed based on an image of the OC Skiff I saw online which bears this feature, and in the second photo you can sort of see where I've thinned out the edges of the thwarts to lighten their look - a small feature, but I wanted to try to add this detail....

Enjoy!

hamilton

105 thwarts.jpeg

106 thwarts.jpeg

104 thwarts.jpeg

Edited by hamilton

Hi John - thanks! I think that this skiff design was generated first to supply exactly that - as a tender for larger sail boats. I'm also gifting this to my father, who turned 80 this year, as a nod to the tender we used to drag behind our sail boat when I was a teen and 20-something - though the design of that one was very different.

hamilton

It's getting very close now to the end of this little build...In the last little while, I've Installed the inboard sheer rail - I'm really not sure how to refer to this longitudinal....can someone tell me the correct term? Anyways, this was made from 1/8 x 1/16" walnut to match the outboard half-round walnut sheer strake. 

Once these were installed, I spent a bit of time sanding down the frames and evening things out. At this point, the boat was (barring oarlock pads and oarlocks and any accessory features I might add) complete. However, I was not happy with the way the finished boat looked. I can't put my finger on exactly what was bugging me about it, but I decided in any case to add a caprail. I made these rails from some 1/16" lime sheeting I had lying around, and stained them with golden oak. In doing this I snapped off the outer stem, which now will need to be redone, so in overgoing the plans,m I've also set myself back a bit....so next up a redo of the stem, followed by the oarlocks, and accessories - possibly only oars....since work is now starting to really build up towards the end of the month and my modelling time is shrinking.....sadly as this has been a very enjoyable build.

Enjoy the photos

hamilton

107 inwales.jpeg

108 inwales.jpeg

109 inwales.jpeg

110 caprail.jpeg

111 caprail.jpeg

112 caprail.jpeg

Thanks John - good to know the right word for the job! And yes - definitely there will be some hardware at the bows for this purpose - I also considered making 2 or 3 fenders to add in addition to the oars...but we'll see.

And thank you Gary - I thought the cap might be overdoing it a bit....it definitely is not a usual feature of a small boat this size...but I like the look, and I suppose that's that!! Glad at least one other likes it too!

hamilton

• 2 years later...

Hi there:

I just realised that after almost 3 years (has it really been that long!!), I still haven't put an end to this build log and called it done.....this is for a few reasons, most obviously that in getting back into modelling again, I started juggling this build, the Corel Bellona and my scratch-built Bluenose. Now that Bluenose is done, and the Bellona is well underway, I realised that I still have some stuff to do with this little skiff.

I needed to re-do the stem piece, which was damaged for some unknown reason, complete the rudder and do some little details. I had considered earlier adapting her by adding a rig, but put that idea on the back burner until a couple of weeks ago, when I was looking through a book of small boat designs by Edwin Monk and came across the "Truant", whose rig I thought could work (at least aesthetically) with this skiff. It did mean that I would have to file a slot through the bottom of the boat/keel for a dagger board, but this was not too difficult to accomplish. The rigging arrangement and dagger board design were all taken from the Monk "Truant" design.

At this point, I've also made and added a main sail and jib, but I don't have photos of these. I just need to add a few rope coils at this point and she'll be done. Here are some photos prior to the addition of the sails - I should be done this one by the end of the week and will post some completion photos here and in the gallery when that's done. In the meantime, enjoy!

hamilton

IMG_2678.jpeg

IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2680.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2682.jpeg

Hello for a final time here - I've now finished the OC "sailing skiff" - which is, of course, a hybrid of the OC rowing skiff and the Monk Truant (for the rig). I'm quite happy with this little one - it's quite cute and I'm very proud of the results. Here are some photos of the finished model - bye for now and enjoy!

hamilton

IMG_2691.jpeg

IMG_2692.jpeg

IMG_2693.jpeg

IMG_2694.jpeg

IMG_2690.jpeg

Thanks Ron!

hamilton

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• The title was changed to Off Center Skiff by hamilton - FINISHED - 1:12 scale - SMALL