Hello from Texas Longhorn Country

I discovered this incredible site just as I was finishing an 8-month long ordeal with by first ever build - Mamoli's CSS Alabama.  I finished her off in January and am finally getting around to posting an after-the-fact build log.  Hopefully it will be of some interest since I could not find a build log anywhere of this particular kit.  Check it out if you have time (1851 - 1900 forum) and by all means tell me what I could have done better.   I cannot tell you how badly I wish I'd found y'all before I got started, as the collection of talent in this community is ridiculous.  Regardless, I'm here now and thrilled to be a part of this group!      

Welcome to MSW, Glen.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Glen, and welcome to the MSW forums!

We are in the same boat: I also built my first project and only afterwards I am reporting here how it went. I have lots of pictures, though, and have been documenting everything from memory. Thanks to this exercise I realize now that I learned much more than I initially thought. Maybe the same has happened to you. Overall, it was fun to build but turning the experience into a narrative has helped a lot too.

On a side note, your build of the Alabama is fantastic. The ship's history is already interesting, and your pictures make me want to build my own. The Kearsarge will be no match for her!

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

Hi Glen

Warm welcome to MSW.  At least you only did one big project before discovering this motley crew.   Most of us had no such source when we did our first build and the second, and third and on and on but here we are, still going after it but with a lot more knowledge being shared by others.

Cheers

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Glen; welcome aboard...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On 7/20/2021 at 5:43 PM, Jim Lad said:

You say you're from Texas Longhorn country.  Isaw some of those beasts in far north Queensland a few years ago - they have some pretty serious cutlery!!

@Jim Lad Thanks for the welcome note.  I had no idea y'all had longhorns down under.  How cool is that!  You can see one of my longhorn babies (named Sweet Eileen) in my profile picture.  She doesn't have much "cutlery" yet but she's working on it!  

On 7/20/2021 at 6:02 PM, Eurus said:

We are in the same boat: I also built my first project and only afterwards I am reporting here how it went. I have lots of pictures, though, and have been documenting everything from memory. Thanks to this exercise I realize now that I learned much more than I initially thought. Maybe the same has happened to you. Overall, it was fun to build but turning the experience into a narrative has helped a lot too.

On a side note, your build of the Alabama is fantastic. The ship's history is already interesting, and your pictures make me want to build my own. The Kearsarge will be no match for her!

@Eurus Thanks for the welcome note.  I agree with everything you said in the first paragraph above.  It's incredible how much you learn along the way.  And now that I've posted my after-the-fact build log, I'm learning even more from the comments that have come in.

I also agree with you about the history of the Alabama.  I read the book, "Wolf of the Deep" by Stephen Fox to learn about the captain and the ship.  A really fascinating read.

On 7/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, allanyed said:

Most of us had no such source when we did our first build and the second, and third and on and on but here we are, still going after it but with a lot more knowledge being shared by others.

@allanyed Thanks for the welcome note.  You are so right about the information sharing on this site.  It's incredible.  Wish I'd discovered it when I first got started but I know it's going to be a huge help for my next build.

Glen, Longhorns were imported into Queensland several years ago with the idea of cross breeding them with Brahmans.  The Brahmans can handle the wet conditions in the tropical north, but they're a bit anti-social.  the idea was to cross them with the gentle Longhorns to try and get a calmer beast that can be bred in the tropics.  I've no idea whether the idea worked, but I sure loves seeing those Longhorns!

John

148173188_41593-LonghornBullEndeavourFalls.thumb.JPG.93b3dd4982508949696b45aa9bcb0cf1.JPG

1 hour ago, Glen McGuire said:

@Eurus Thanks for the welcome note.  I agree with everything you said in the first paragraph above.  It's incredible how much you learn along the way.  And now that I've posted my after-the-fact build log, I'm learning even more from the comments that have come in.

I also agree with you about the history of the Alabama.  I read the book, "Wolf of the Deep" by Stephen Fox to learn about the captain and the ship.  A really fascinating read.

That book looks really interesting! Thank's for the recommendation. I will definitely add it to my reading list.

Eurus

My logs:

Providence Whaleboat

ARM Cuauhtémoc

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Glen,

I'm late to the BBQ but ... Welcome to MSW from the UK.

Your Alabama is impressive, looking forard to more.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

On 8/11/2021 at 1:10 AM, Laggard said:

Go Sooners!  Jk.  Welcome!  😜

@Laggard Not only do we lose to OU every year, now we get to lose to Bama every year too!  I think OU will do a lot better in the SEC than we will and I think I'll be building a lot of ships during football season from now on.  ☹️  Regardless, thanks for the welcome!!

Edited by Glen McGuire

On 8/6/2021 at 10:19 PM, Louie da fly said:

Just looked through your build log. Very impressive.

@Louie da fly  Thank you, Steven and thanks for the welcome!

On 8/11/2021 at 3:48 AM, bruce d said:

I'm late to the BBQ but ... Welcome to MSW from the UK.

@bruce d Thanks for the welcome, Bruce.  But I gotta tell you, my babies below DO NOT like to hear anyone saying that word BBQ!!!  

20210724_094320.jpg

Hi Glen, and welcome to MSW.

We have a herd of English Longhorns near us. Their horns vary greatly in size and shape, but these are fairly typical:

ELH3.thumb.jpg.6a14fd9b1c909723c26f48d984595980.jpg

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

@DelF Those are beautiful animals, Derek!  I had no idea there was an English version of longhorns.  The one on the right in your picture has remarkably similar coloring as my Sweet Eileen which is the one on the right in my picture.

Hi Glen

9 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

I had no idea there was an English version of longhorns

Yes, they're an old breed, originally used as draught animals. This Wikipedia entry gives more information,  explains the differences between the Texas and English Longhorns, and mentions the Thoresby Estate herd which is the one I know. I envy you having your own herd of such beautiful animals.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

@DelF Thanks for sending that link about the English Longhorns.  Very interesting info!  I have what they call around here a gentleman's herd - only 4 and they are really pets rather than beef cattle for production.   Sometimes referred to as yard art.