Duchess of Kingston by Delf - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Boxwood version

As all have said, that is one beautiful model. Your craftsmanship is excellent! Well done. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Wow, that's a jaw-dropping, beautiful model, Derek, and a great build log to boot! Congratulations!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Awesome work, and thanks for the fantastic log too.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

To round the log off, here's a couple of shots from the Antarctic trip I've just returned from - a land of stark beauty. Amongst many other things we had fun spotting weird shapes in icebergs, including the lion in the second photo:

Z62_2086.thumb.JPG.ac423721985618ff804eaf1e8210ea2c.JPG

Z62_2533.thumb.JPG.da9f350d24bc49df58dff5eaa5890853.JPG

On 1/19/2023 at 6:24 PM, BobG said:

...a small island off the coast of Ushuaia

We sailed from Ushuaia which is billed as the southernmost city in the world, so I was surprised to find out that there are cities in England that are closer to the North Pole than Ushuaia is to the South Pole. Thank goodness for the Gulf Stream!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

9 hours ago, DelF said:

lion in the second photo

That's a cool piece of ice sculpture! Sounds like this was an amazing trip.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Your model is absolutely amazing!  I can only echo what everyone else has said.  And I agree, the boxwood is awesome.  I'm glad you left the hull unpainted to show it off.

Now I'm embarrassed to put my photos online.  I'll be using your excellent build log a lot while doing rigging.  Rigging is my major weakness, I have such fumble fingers.  If I can do a tenth as good as you've done, I'll consider it a success.  

I'm glad you had a good trip.  I've read a number of books on antarctic exploration which were fascinating.  I have another friend that I think is on an antarctic cruise ship right now.

I'll have to switch over to HMS Winchelsea and keep learning from your build logs.

David Salguero

Wichita, Kansas

Current Build:  Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston - Vanguard Models

Completed:  US Syren - Model Shipways

On Deck:  HM Cheerful - Syren Ship Models

Amazing workmanship Derek and something we can all look up to and for me hopefully one day can ever reach such high levels. I look forward to seeing your next project. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

5 hours ago, desalgu said:

I'm glad you left the hull unpainted to show it off.

Now I'm embarrassed to put my photos online.

Thanks David, I appreciate your kind comments, but there's no need for embarrassment on your part. I've just looked at your log and seen the extra details you've added to your shrouds, such as the leather caps on the ends and the crossing turns on the seizings, and you should be pleased with the result. We all want to improve, but don't beat yourself up when you're already achieving a good standard. And I'm still jealous that you've gone one better than me and included a ship's boat!

Best wishes

Derek

Cheers, Derek

1 hour ago, DaveBaxt said:

I look forward to seeing your next project.

Thanks Dave. I've just started HMS Sphinx and will open a log shortly. There are some great builds already out there and I shall be shamelessly copying from the likes of Maurice and Ron ( @Blue Ensign &  @hollowneck ). Good luck with your own build.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

40 minutes ago, DelF said:

Thanks Dave. I've just started HMS Sphinx and will open a log shortly. There are some great builds already out there and I shall be shamelessly copying from the likes of Maurice and Ron ( @Blue Ensign &  @hollowneck ). Good luck with your own build.

Derek

I have been thinking of doing the Sphinx for awhile now. The amount of Vanguard boats and Cannon I will be using on my HMS Diana I may aswell save me some money and go for a Vanguard in the first place. The quality of some of the pieces is far superior with Vanguard. So I will be staying tuned for  your Sphinx build with interest. .Best regards Dave 

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour